Buying Euros and Swiss Francs Before Departure or at ATM in Europe

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 29th, 2012, 09:01 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In the past I've done it both ways but have not kept track of the costs. My bank will charge $5 for each ATM use in Europe. If I buy them at home I am paying a premium of about $5-6 per $100. How good are the rates at ATMs in Paris and Zurich? Any suggestions for which way to go?
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM

okay, the rates at the ATMs are just the bank rate, each ATM does not have its own exchange rate. They are bank networks that are international. You need to find out if your own bank changes the exchange rate to make a profit on it when your transaction for a withdrawal comes through from a foreign bank, that is the issue. It would be YOUR bank that would be changing it, not some ATm machine in Europe. Aside from your $5 ATM use, but you can certainly limit your ATM withdrawls so you take out large amounts and charge most things to a credit card. You shouldn't be needing to use an ATM that often if you use credit cards.

Of course, there may be some private ATMs that charge you a fee if they are not a bank, I've never run across one in Paris or Zurich, but your habits may be different as to where you are using ATMs. I wouldn't ever use a non-bank ATM unless I were desperate, of course. I don't know where that could be in a big city that didn't have regular bank ATMs.

My suggestion would be to use ATMs, I cannot think of any situation where I would tell people to buy euros in the US and take them to Europe.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 09:11 AM

At ATMS you will get the Interbank rate plus 1 to 3% - depending on how your card/bank decide to charge. Buying currency in the US will typically cost you about 8 to 10% above the interbank rate - so you would be throwing probably 5% of your money out the window.

Credit cards and cash from ATM is the cheapest way to go.
Old Jun 29th, 2012, 10:28 AM

I'd never buy foreign currency in the U.S.! My bank charges $5 per foreign ATM transaction also, so I get the largest amount possible at a time. I asked my bank to raise my limit to $500 per day, so I get 300 plus euros at a time. For me, that's the cheapest way to go. I ALWAYS use a money belt, so I can carry that money safely.

I also use a credit card for major expenses like hotels, more expensive meals, etc., but that's because I get frequent flyer miles with the credit card. Getting cash from the ATM is really the least expensive option.
Old Jun 30th, 2012, 04:58 AM
ira

Hi L,

It is always more expensive to get European currency in the US.

OTOH, you might wish to have 100E or ChF with you when you arrive. Get some at your departure airport. The additional cost won't break the bank.

Old Jun 30th, 2012, 05:53 AM

This is a math comparison with different amount. You are missing several numbers. You need facts.

at $100:
ATM: $5 + what %? Your bank fee schedule sheet gives you that %.
at home: $6 + what %? If you can only find out total charge using their ordering system, use this http://www.xe.com/ccc/ to see what is the real TOTAL difference between the no fee transaction vs. what at home is charging.

at $200:
ATM: $5 + what %?
at home: $? + what %

at $300, etc
ATM: $5 + what %?
at home: $? + what %