Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Buying an Arc de Triomphe Souvenir at CDG ?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19th, 2009, 10:46 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I promised my grandson one of those (about) $20 brass-like souvenirs of the Arc, but I forgot to buy it in Paris. I am staying at CDG (Ibis) the night before my flight home, arriving on the TGV from Dijon, and I was wondering if anyone knows if I might be able to buy one there.

I'd like to buy it the night before my flight as there is never enough time in the morning. Anyone know if gift shops are open to non-flyers .... or have any other suggestions?

Thank you.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 07:31 PM

I usually fly into/out from Terminal 1 (USAirways from PIT), and it does not have many nice shops, IMO. Are you by any chance flying the new Delta non-stop from PIT? Terminal 2 might be better.
Good luck!
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 08:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
The 'Relay' newsstands generally have a small souvenir selection.
Old Sep 19th, 2009, 10:46 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, grandmere. Yes! I am on the non-stop. It was wonderful coming over. Got on in PIT, ate "dinner," took an Ambien, lay down (had the whole row to myself -- NOT a good sign) and woke up with the flight indicator map showing we were 47 minutes from CDG. It was great. So, I will be flying out of Terminal 2.

Keroac, thanks. I was really hoping to hear there was some big shop that would have everything (like Shannon). While I've gone through CDG a number of times, it is always so busy and I'm always so harried that I don't get a chance to look around. This does not sound promising.
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 05:29 AM

Celiaanne ........ just did a quick check on Google for French Souvenirs on-line. There are a few links for sites in the US or noticed one that ships from Paris. Here is the link if you strike out buying at CDG. You can have it sent to your home ......... http://www.souvenirsofparis.com/replicas/index.html
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 07:25 AM

Good to hear such a recommendation for the Delta flight; we are on it md-Oct. They've already cut back to 4 flights/week, down from the 5 original. Does not bode well for the long term, but would be nice to have a row of seats to oneself.

Hope you find your Arc!
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 08:21 AM

I don't understand why you say you are a non-flyer, as you are. But CDG is like other airports -- which sell souvenirs to travelers waiting for flights, and there are plenty of them at CDG. They charge about 25-50 pct more than in the city, though. I always have too much time to kill at the airport as I always make sure I get there in plenty of time. I think it is mainly the Relay shops that sell stuff like that (keychains, little Eiffel towers, coffee cups, magnets, etc.).
Old Sep 20th, 2009, 09:10 PM
Original Poster

Christina, I mean I will not be a traveler when I need to buy the souvenir on Wednesday night, as my flight is on Thursday morning. I just wasn't sure if the shops I wanted to visit were available before security, etc.

goldwynn, thank you for the link. I actually had 3 of the arcs in my "basket" at that site last night, but their largest one is a little smaller than others I've seen. I'm going to go ahead and order them though.

grandmere, What seems odd to me about the flight is that friends of our had to go PIT-ATL-CDG on Delta because there were no seats for them (September 8 flight). Doesn't make any sense to me.

Thanks for all your help.
Old Sep 21st, 2009, 05:00 AM

Sept. 8 was a Tues.;as I understood it, from the beginning (June 3) they weren't flying non-stop from PIT on Tuesdays or Fridays; now they've added Mon. to the list.

Have a good trip home!
Old Oct 4th, 2009, 01:00 PM
Original Poster

Ah ha! So, that's why. Thanks, grandmere.

Just a follow-up to the souvenir question. Nothing was open on Wednesday night (around 8/9:00 p.m.), but I did see some in Relay on Thursday morning. They were the size I wanted (about 4" high) but they were a "silver" color and were 29E each. The ones I ordered were the "bronze" color I wanted, although they were smaller. These cost a total of US$102 for 3, including Fed Ex shipping.

Note to self: Don't make promises that are so difficult to keep.