Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Rome hotel: Capo d'Africa or Visconti Palace?

Oct 1st, 2009, 06:46 AM
Original Poster

Our hosts for this visit have offered to put us up in either of these two hotels. Would appreciate feedback and comparisons from people who know both. I see where each is on the map, and I've looked at website for each. Wondering which is likely to be most pleasant and most quiet. We definitely need a king bed and it seems that Visconti has them. I haven't been able to get a clear reading on that at Capo. (They've been awful about answering e-mails.)

Thanks for help.
Oct 1st, 2009, 09:37 AM

I can't speak to the Capo, but DH and I stayed at the Visconti Palace several years back. It was a very modern hotel, nicely furnished, with pleasant and professional staff. It appeared to have two types of guests -- tour groups and business people. I do recall the hotel being quiet and the beds being very comfortable.
Oct 1st, 2009, 10:02 AM

The location of the Visconti Palace is not great - across the river from the historic center but still not right near the Vatican. (We were "walked" there some years ago when the hotel we had booked closed due to plumbing problems.)

It was a standard busines type hotel - nothing special but nothing wrong. We did find a very cute little family restaurant on a street around the back of it one night when it was pouring rain and we didn't want to go far.
Oct 1st, 2009, 07:44 PM

Capo di Africa is in a nice quiet neighborhood (Caelio) with family restaurants and good local shops as well as interesting ancient churches (San Clemente, Santo Quattro Coronati, etc etc.) and good proximity to Colisseum, Forum, Baths of Caracalla, San Giovanni and the Golden House, Also fine transportation links via the little electronic bus that crosses the neighborhood and the buses, trams and Metro at Colosseo. Ive stayed in that neighborhood and think you would have an enjoyable stay there.
Oct 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM

I don't know the Visconti but we have stayed at Capo d'Africa. Although out of the centre, it is very near the Colisseum and 'ancient' Rome. Whilst we had heard that the transport links were very good, we chose to walk everywhere (including the Vatican - took about 30 minutues) and this was a great way to explore the City. As jjkbrook says, the Capo is in an area with a good selection of family restaurants. The hotel itself was immaculate, though I think you'd have to make a special request to ensure you get the desired king sized bed. It had a lovely roof terrace where guests could relax after a day's sightseeing or just soak up some sun. I found the staff professional and courteous.
Oct 2nd, 2009, 11:00 AM

I have stayed at Capo d' Africa four times now, most recently last fall. I love the quiet neighborhood and the hotel is well maintained with large and comfortable rooms (worth it to splurge on a Deluxe for a longer stay IMO) and a very good front desk staff.

As others have said, there are lots of dining choices in the area and we also walked most everywhere.

We enjoyed the roof top terrace every evening with a nice bottle of wine, just relishing being in Rome!
Oct 4th, 2009, 01:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you very much to everyone who has responded. Capo sounds like the right choice for us. May I know, please, if there are any particular rooms to request or to avoid? I know that on Trip Advisor certain rooms are said to be very noisy, e.g. from the lift, from deliveries in early morning, from the roof top terrace. We definitely want a non-smoking room and, better yet, a non-smoking floor. I'm hoping that the hotel will be good about enforcing the rule; we've found that some are, some are not.
Thanks once more for all the helpful responses, and I'd love to hear more about particular room choices. We're absolutely willing to pay extra to secure a better room, but I've learned that cost doesn't always match up with things like how quiet a particular accommodation is.