Old May 4th, 2007, 02:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Busy Dublin/Ireland this weekend

http://breakingnews.iol.ie/news/stor...mp;n=218257130
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:07 AM

Anchoress,

350,000 people, that is like a recreation of the Famine ,igrations! Is there something occurring in Dublin or the vicinity that is causing the influx? Yet another reason why I don'y fly in/out of Dublin. Yikes!

Good to hear that your weather has changed for the better. Have all of the livestock and outbuildings dried out from the deluge, then?

Slan Beo,

Bit

Old May 4th, 2007, 11:23 AM
Original Poster

Influx or exodus? Both hopefully...
As we are selling at a festival and a car boot sale this weekend, we are hoping that as many fly in as fly out...and with the fine weather that they all feel like spending... we work to feed homeless children in many lands by selling what we make. So we have high hopes for this weekend.

Tell you an Irish tale here about the flash floods last week...The old man whose sheep were in danger does not live nearby. He only comes up once a day even in lambing, so we keep a quiet eye out. That morning he saw the rain and decided to wait until it stopped. He had no idea what was going on and he was not answering his phone. He is also rather deaf. By the time he got up here, the waters had abated....so he never saw it, only heard the tale...I was in bed with a chill for two days, and by the time he managed to speak to us, facts had become.. changed. We realised he thought that I had singlehandedly rescued his five ewes and ten lambs...lol....He almost shook my arm off...lol! Nothing we can do except bask in the glory!!It was made more dramatic as in the next field upstream, six large ewes were swept away and drowned. We think it was so bad because it had been very dry for several weeks and the ground was too dry to soak it up. Please God that when the rain starts again in the next days it does not happen again.. Blessings this night.....
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:37 AM

One of the reasons for the large movement (other than anchoress's selling activity) is that it is a holiday weekend here.

That is why I passed on an opportunity to visit Galway and Connemara -- the prospect of too many people on the roads, trying to "do it all" in two days. I'll get there in June instead, and I won't let the water problem spoil my trip.
Old May 4th, 2007, 11:44 AM
Original Poster

I agree, Padraig....usually a Bank Holiday ( sorry: I forgot that that was not clear.. opps..)will see us staying home... We will be on site very, very early and home before the evening drinking starts..Killybegs will be noisy and busy....A big festival started there today....

And I am sure that Galway has some beauiful, pure, holy wells to draw from.......
Old May 6th, 2007, 12:06 PM

Its also a UK bank holiday so there are a large influx of people over for the weekend due to this. Grafton street was jammed early with touristys today. In summer we tend to go to haunts that only more locval people know as it gets crazy mid summer.

Padraig, I stll like to go to the country for bank holidays At least its a bit of fun with all the holidaymakers especially in AUgist. at times I felt like I was in Germany not connemara due to all the tourists. It entertaining talking to the different nationalities.

I am poff to greece soon...bloody cheaper than a weekend in the west of Ireland!
Old May 6th, 2007, 01:52 PM

Hmm - I flew out of Dublin yesterday - flight left at 1145 (well, it was supposed to) and we were checked in and at the gate in no time at all - there were no lines and it seemed particularly empty compared to other times I've been through there...
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:33 PM

Hate to say it, Siobhan, but it couldn't be much more expensive than the west of Ireland! Have fun!