Madrid Restaurants

Search

Madrid Restaurants

Search this Thread

Old May 5th, 2007, 10:17 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Madrid Restaurants

I'll be in Madrid for 3 nights at the end of May. What would be your top dinner suggestions - not fancy, but great, tapas, chic, etc.
Thanks for info!
Old May 5th, 2007, 12:49 PM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Check out the suggestions at www.maribelsguides.com.
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:05 PM

Although the top restaurants in Madrid, I always like Bouttins. Maybe the spelling is a bit off but this place is just below Plaza Major.

This is supposed to the oldest running restaurant in Europe. Great ambiance and the food is very good. Their specialties are roasted suckling pig and leg of lamb.

I usually try their Almejas Mariniere for starters and find something different for the main course. Order the sufflete (sp??)at the same time of your food order, since it takes about 20 minutes to cook. Lovely.

They have "Tunas" who ramble through the restaurant and sing and play their guitars.

Sure, it's a bit touristic but there's at least fifty percent are locals in the place. The food is good and the prices are reasonable.

It's a good choice.

Blackduff
Old May 5th, 2007, 02:08 PM

I used to like Botin also. I have been there several times but last summer we found it to be "off". Not as good as in prior years. I prefer Posada de la Villa, not too far from Botin.

Very casual, for tapas, go to Plaza Santa Ana.
Old May 6th, 2007, 03:55 PM

Botín is a must-try for the place alone ("The Oldest Restaurant in the World" - according to the Guinness Book of World Records) and the food is pretty good too. Service is excellent and, as mentioned, they have "Tuna" minstrals singing and playing guitar in period costumes. There weren't any 2 weeks ago when I was there last but we were early. I think the tunas come out at around 11pm. Website: http://www.botin.es/

I'm becoming a big fan of "Restaurante El Buey" - the one on Plaza de la Marina Española, 1 near the Opera House. I've taken SEVERAL visiting friens there and they all love it. Their specialty is "Lomo de buey" - strips of raw, coarse-grain-salted steak which you "grill" on your own individual "ceramic hot plate". It's really really delicious and they use a very interesting kind of bar-b-que sauce. You'll have to make reservations for this place, service is very good. Website: http://www.restauranteelbuey.com/

¡Buen Provecho!

Saludos, MadridMan
--
Madrid, Barcelona, & MORE @ you-know-where!