Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Non-touristy restaurant with good food and flamenco in Madrid

Apr 28th, 2005, 02:43 PM
Original Poster

Does anyone have any suggestions for a non-touristy restaurant that has good food and that has flamenco that would also be ok for a 14yo? The emphasis here is on the non-touristy and I realise that it means a late night.
Apr 28th, 2005, 04:02 PM

Frankly, I think the concepts of "flamenco", "good food" and "non-touristy" are not reconcilable in Madrid.

Madrid is not the home of flamenco; any flamenco offered there is probably offered for the benefit of tourists only. And that being the case, the chances for good food are, I think, minimal.
Apr 28th, 2005, 10:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks Eloise, From the research I had done I suspected it might be difficult.

The two restaurants that have come up though are Cafe de Chinitas on Torija and Casa Patas on Canizares. Has anyone been to either of these and/or could offer advice.

Thanks
Apr 29th, 2005, 12:54 AM

You might try going to www.maribelsguides.com and looking at her restaurant recommendations in the "Madrid" file.

Apr 29th, 2005, 01:29 AM

Hi

Quote "There are certain special clubs where the real connoisseurs go. These include the "Corral de la Morería", "Arco de Cuchilleros", "Los Canasteros", "Caf de Chinitas", "Torres Bermejas", the "Corral de la Pacheca" and a number of others. See also Casa Patas -http://www.casapatas.com/eng/base.html

In June we'll be in Madrid and we'll try El Corral de la Morería:Moreria 17 http://www.corraldelamoreria.com/. Cost is 72 Euro each for dinner and show. See write up http://www.virtualtourist.com/vt/3ff84/5/12c6/

Hope this helps

Mauro
Apr 29th, 2005, 01:41 AM

Florida Park: a restaurant / nightclub just inside the O'Connell Street gate to Madrid's Retiro Park, features Folkloric dances (Sevillanas, Jotas). I enjoy the latter (Jotas Aragonesas) more so than Flamenco: Dances are more upbeat and happy. The 'early' show (around 20:30) should be fine for your 14-year old. Madrilenhos usually sup around 22:00 so it would be a 'before supper' thing.

As Eloise writes: it will be difficult to find the combination you're looking for in Madrid.