Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bushmills to Hillsborough via ANTRIM COAST...your favorite spots?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4th, 2006, 10:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, leaving for Ireland in a coupla days for 1st family trip!

Please share your favorite memories along the beautiful Antrim coast drive.

During our 2 week trip we have 2 nights near Bushmills in a country house. Then we will take the scenic route via Antrim coast down to Hillsborough, and spend 2 nights in Hillsborough. Suggestions of where to stop, what to see along the way?

Thinking of stopping at Glenariff forest park for the waterfall hike.

Suggestions of where to stop for lunch?

We will see the Giant's Causeway and Dunluce castle ruins while staying in Bushmills. Then hopefully the weather will be good for the Antrim coast drive. While staying in Hillsborough, we will see Belfast one day and the Ulster Folk and Transport Museum the next day.

Thanks!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 07:38 AM

The Glenariff Forest Park's waterfall walk is magical. We got a cab from Cushendall and then called him from the lovely restaurant at the bottom of the walk. Had time for a bite to eat and back to our B&B we went. Have a grand time! The whole area is lovely. Have a grand time!
Old Jul 5th, 2006, 09:37 AM

Hi Melissa,

Me again!!

I would stop at Glenariff - lovely

For lunch the Londonderry Arms Hotel in Carnlough would be nice.
http://www.glensofantrim.com/

Carrickfergus Castle is well worth a visit but not (IMO) the town.

Continue on to Belfast and as you will be there the following day I would use the motorway from there to Hillsborough.

You are staying outside the village but do not (IMO) dismiss Hilsborough (I have been trying this year to move to a house there but the prices are so high because it is such a nice village).

Have a look at the Goveners House (I don't think it is open when you are there), go to the Fort and a walk along te lake (not as scenic as other places you will be visiting but I almost assure you that you will be the only tourists. You will see lots of dogs and children with their owners and parents!)

Do go to the very small court house museum (free), again you will be the only tourists and possibly the only people in the place - but it's great!

For eating I personally don't like the Marquis of Downshire but other people have told me it has improved. Ther is another pub/restaurant but I can't remembert the name - begins with R

The Plough is very old and the farmers go to the pub there. They have two restaurants
1. Tradional - expensive and (IMO) stuffy.
2, Bar Retro - I like it, an Edwardian building facade but with a funky interior. Your Teenagers might also enjoy the disco!

The Hillside - old worldly and reasonably good food (it used to be much better).

Have a good trip Melissa

Helen

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 12:52 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Helen and Danna!
Helen, we will very much enjoy the novelty of being the only tourists, and maybe even the only people, someplace in Hillsborough...for a change of pace!

Is the Bar Retro part of the Plough? Are dinner reservations needed for the Bar Retro, I wonder, or only for the expensive restaurant portion? We want to visit the older more traditional side of the Plough. Well we are leaving soon but if I dont' see your reply, I can always ask our hosts at our country house where we are spending 2 nights in Hillsborough. Looking forward to visiting Northern Ireland! Thanks Helen for everything

Old Jul 6th, 2006, 05:47 AM

Melissa

Yes, Bar Retro is part of the Plough Inn. You can only book the expensive restaurant part, Bar Retro is a 'first come first served' basis. You basically go and have your name placed on the list, and have a few drinks in the bar while you wait for your table (if it's not readily available). As long as you are there before 8pm at the weekends, you should get a table no problem, and during the week it shouldn't be overly busy.

Enjoy Ireland!

Angela
Old Jul 7th, 2006, 12:17 AM
Original Poster

Many thanks! We'll be back in a couple weeks with lots to report.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 04:29 AM

this message is for helen (cambe). helen, i presume you live in NI. i am takaing my son golfing next year throughout NI. i have been there many times and it is my favorite spot of all. couple of questions.
how much in advance should i book a room at the bushmills inn?
best B&B and/or location to stay near royal county down?
any discounts or ways to minimize green fees at portrush or royal county down? there fees have gotten so high!!
any other hidden gems for courses? i want to play protrush, county down, portstewart and castlerock.
feel free to email at "[email protected]" with any info.
thanks
michael
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 10:49 AM

Hi Michael,

As I live in NI I am not very familiar with B&B's however I will check with some people next week and see what I can find out for you.

As to your questions.

Bushmills Inn - lovely, lovely hotel but pricey. I would contact them quite early as they do different packages throughout the year and you might be able to arrange Royal Portrush, Portstewart and Castlerock around one of their cheapies.

http://www.bushmillsinn.com/

Do you have the web address for the Golf Courses? If not let me know and I will send them to you.

Royal County Down - lovely course but probably pricey. The Slieve Donard Hotel is on it's doorstep.

http://www.hastingshotels.com/

Dundrum, Newcastle,Annalong would all be good places to stay. I will see what I can find out for you about B&B's in these areas.

Belvoir and Clandeboye are also good courses and you may find the fees a little less. Belvoir is south Belfast and Clandeboye is in South Down near Bangor.

http://www.belvoirparkgolfclub.com/
http://www.discovernorthernireland.c...ProductID=1686

Do not go to Royal Belfast lovely clubhouse but very, very unfriendly and snooty.

Please let me know if I can help you further and I will see what I can find out about B&B's.

Helen
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:39 PM

xman,

What time of year will you be in NI? That will determine how far ahead to make reservations. Is this what you are looking for by way of golf discounts? http://www.discovernorthernireland.c...lfpassNI06.pdf

I have some good B&B recommendations but you need to specify locations.
Old Jul 25th, 2006, 07:11 PM

I'd book the Bushmill's Inn as soon as possible. It's one of my two favorite places to stay in Ireland.

The Slieve Donard is expensive, and really not worth it. The common rooms are nice, and the view is spectacular, but the rooms themselves are not worth the money. Unfortunately, I don't have a good alternative, as we always stay with relatives in the north (stayed at the Slieve for a wedding). But there are many B&Bs in Newcastle.

My husband played the Royal Belfast and enjoyed it.
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 03:14 AM

Ann, if you don't mind me asking, where is your other favourite place to stay in Ireland?

Angela
Old Jul 27th, 2006, 01:46 PM

Ann41: Good to see you. I haven't seen you on the boards for a while, then again, I haven't visited as much as I used to. Things get busy.

Angela:

Do you have a particular area of Ireland you are thinking of? There are literally hundreds of beautiful places to stay all over the country. I have a few favorites, The Shores Country House on the Dingle peninsula being at the top of the list.

Bill