COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Bus Eireann Open Roads Pass for August 2019

Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

I travel in Ireland in summer and use an Open Roads Bus Pass which is convenient and inexpensive for bus travel and can do some nice day trips to scenic towns. I ordered it online a few times using a debit card in Euros. It was sent to me by mail very quickly.

I normally have it on arrival in Dublin so can walk directly to the bus area for the first journey.

I am now having difficulty finding the LINK to order a Bus Pass for this season. I normally order the 3 days pass at beginning of trip and after a few side trips in Europe order a second pass for last few days. I live in NY and hope someone can help me order the pass. I looked at Bus Eireann site many times but cannot see the Link to order Open Roads pass listed Many thanks. Kathleen
Old Jun 23rd, 2019, 01:46 PM

maybe email or call Bus Eireann itself?

I looked at the site you mention and could not readily find any link to purchase one.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 09:50 AM
Original Poster

Thank you. I will keep checking as other travelers will want to purchase the Pass. I emailed Bus Eireann last night and got acknowledgment. Its hard to telephone the company as they are slow to respond. Its a pity I cannot order it on line as it was very convenient and I consider it a good deal.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:04 AM

Hard to understand why the site makes it impossible. Good luck.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:40 AM

Originally Posted by bettybenson View Post
I have never traveled on a bus tour. I think this is not very convenient. My friends went and said that after such a tour they were very tired.
This is not a bus tour with 100 other people. You travel alone and get on and off where you want. We take the bus from airport to a first destination such as Belfast or Galway. Get off and stay wherever you want. The public buses in Ireland are very nice and have wifi.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 10:45 AM

Ye, tours can be as tours like to hit as many spots as possible - OP is talking about relatively short bus pokes on buses that should not be packed to the gills.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 12:02 PM

I see yo had the same problem last year. Did you manage to order one then? If so do you remember how?
Otherwise send them an e-mail or use their contact form.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 12:07 PM

In case you couldn't find it here is your old thread re the same issue
Bus Eireann Open Roads Pass

No one could help you last time - I doubt anything has changed since then.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 12:07 PM

OOPS - didn't see heti's post. Great minds
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:27 PM
Original Poster

I do not travel on bus tours. Its very easy to get around Ireland on Bus Eireann and this Open Roads Pass makes it possible to stop at many scenic places and towns over several days and its less expensive and reliable bus service. I have been to many scenic areas this way and can book by hotel and have lots of time to enjoy.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I had problem last year but got a LINK that worked. I cannot find the link but hope someone will help me.
Old Jun 24th, 2019, 11:17 PM

I suggest you contact them.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 12:42 AM

Google finds this:
https://www.buseireann.ie/inner.php?id=337

And it says: "For each Open-Road €60 ticket purchased you can avail of 3 days of unlimited travel out of 6 consecutive days. The pass can be purchased from a ticket vending machine at a Bus Éireann bus station"

No mentioning of online purchases. But there is a BE desk at DUB where you can buy tickets.
Old Jun 25th, 2019, 04:18 AM

Thank you, Cowboy, bookmarking that link. We actually like the bus for getting to certain places in Ireland. From Galway to Cork is was faster than the train.
Old Jul 1st, 2019, 08:19 AM
Original Poster

Finally received response from Bus Eireann, to suggest buying the Pass at the bus station in Dublin. That is no help for passengers arriving early AM at the airport and needing travel to distant areas. The central bus station is not open earlier than 8:30 or 9 am and at weekends they are closed. I experienced this in Killarney when I needed to buy tickets. I am hoping I can make contact with someone who can go into a bus station and buy the pass and mail it to me. I have debit card in Euros and can buy the second Pass for end of trip in Ireland.

Seems that they do not accept orders on line right bow. Its a good deal and buses are comfortable and usually on time.
Thanks for all who responded.