Burgundy in August-should I do it?

Jun 21st, 2007, 08:47 AM
Original Poster

Burgundy in August-should I do it?

I'm planning a nine-day trip to Europe in the second half of August. I'll be flying from the US to Geneva, and spending at least a few days with some European family in Lausanne or nearby. The last few days will be spent in Paris, again with family. At some point I may ask for some recommendations for the Lac Leman area, as it's my first trip there, but I'll do my homework before asking about that.

For now, however, my question is this. I have about nine days to spend in Europe, of which at least three will be spent in Switzerland, and at least two in Paris. I'm considering doing the trip back to Paris via Burgundy, which I've always wanted to see. The idea would be to rent a car in Geneva, drive through Burgundy to Dijon, and take the TGV back to Paris from there. I'm a very big food and wine enthusiast, and I'd like to do some serious dining in the region, although I don't think I'd necessarily want to visit any wineries. Otherwise, I'd imagine just touring the countryside, seeing some nice villages, and relaxing.

What do you all think? Should I do the Burgundy thing, or just divide my time between Switzerland and Paris? What will be happening in Burgundy in August? Will all of the restaurants I've been dreaming about be closed? Will I wilt due to lack of air conditioning? I admit to some apprehension about this whole trip -- I don't always do so well in the summer without air conditioning.
Jun 21st, 2007, 08:51 AM

I think either way is a winner--driving through Burgundy or all Paris. I just don't think a few days in Paris is enough--but that is me.
Jun 21st, 2007, 09:35 AM

Given your food and wine interests, Burgundy would be an excellent choice.
Jun 21st, 2007, 06:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks folks... Gretchen, I agree, a few days in Paris isn't enough! But I've been there before, and will be there again, so I'm not so inclined to spend a big chunk of vacation there this time, especially in August!

I'm getting the sense that neither of you is raising any red flags about Burgundy in August, so I'm definitely leaning toward going. I just hope my restaurants are all open...
Jun 21st, 2007, 07:37 PM

Would there be any harvests going on yet, or is August too early..?
Jun 21st, 2007, 08:29 PM

Should I do the Burgundy thing,

hawksbill, oh pleeeeese take me with you.

Yes, it can be rather hot in August. I would pray for a rainy day or two. Then you'll see how beautiful Burgundy is.

Actualy, don't rush to Burgundy because you can mosey a little south through Savoy for some great meals at ordinary restaurants. Then you have a nice drive through the Jura Mountains just west of Geneva.

Make sure you take a swim in Lac Leman. The jetty at Geneva is good but I'm sure there are plenty of other places. The lake has the sweetest and most refreshing water I have ever been in.

Jun 21st, 2007, 09:17 PM

Alas, August will be too early for the vine harvest (vendange). That usually begins in late September/early October, depending on the weather.
Jun 21st, 2007, 11:03 PM

Burgundy is good any time of the year.
Jun 25th, 2007, 11:34 AM

> Will all of the restaurants I've been dreaming about be closed?<
Which ones?

Search this Thread