Burgundy Chateau or B&B on a river or lake

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24th, 2007, 11:08 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We will be in Burgundy in early June for 2 nights coming from the Luberon on our way to Paris. I would love to find a place to stay near water and of course in a breathtaking setting. Does anyone have any suggestions with that location in mind? I just picture almost a fairy tale feel - the pictures I've seen online of Burgundy are so gorgeous, I definately want to be somewhere to take it all in.

Thanks - Lori
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 08:46 PM

It may be too far north for both nights, but for your last night before heading to Paris (about 2 1/2-3 hours from CDG).... we had an absolutely fabulous stay at the Manoir de l'Onde (located on the Onde River) in the countryside just north of Sens..

It is a Logis de France affiliate with gorgeous large grounds, fountains, bikes, covered & heated swimming pool, excellent cuisine, locked parking at night and the best bed we've every had anywhere. I would be glad to send you some pictures--just email me at [email protected].

We also had a lovely stay in St. Florentin along the Burgundy canal at the hotel/restaurant Les Tilleuls - another Logis de France, recommended by other Fodorites. Though the walls are a little thinner it is absolutely charming in an enclosed garden within the city. Also has private parking. More to do here...exceptional little church, antique stores, the canal to walk.

Burgundy is wonderful no matter where you stay! Have fun.
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:12 PM

I haven't stayed at either of these places; I only know about them from my research for my upcoming trip to Burgundy. They both look lovely.

www.lesliecaron-auberge.com/us/aberge_us.html

www.moulin-des-ruats.com/
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:14 PM

Sorry about that first link...

www.lesliecaron-auberge.com/us/auberge_us.html
Old Jan 25th, 2007, 09:17 PM

Okay, just google "leslie caron hotel"

I don't know why my second link didn't work.
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 06:57 AM

I stayed at the Lucarne aux Chouettes or "The Owl's Nest" back in 2003. It was delightful. Villeneuve sur Yonne is a quaint little town and the riverside location of the hotel by the Yonne river can't be beat.

The rooms were lovely and the food was great.

Highly recommended..and don't forget to ask for some bread to feed the ducks and geese.
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 10:47 AM
Original Poster

Thank you everyone for all of your help. I've narrowed it down to the two châteaus below, let me know if you've stayed at either one and what area or place you would recommend.

http://www.chateaudige.com/
http://www.demessey.com/

I'm leaning towards the Château de Messey.

Thanks!

Lori
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 11:10 AM
hdm

Hi everyone,
If I hadn't already arranged lodging for our May trip, I'd certainly consider one of these chateaux.

Cimbrone, I googled Lesie Caron Hotel and didn't come up with anything except about the actress.

Also, Langcraft, I had no luck with Lucarne aux Chouettes. Do you have a website.

I love the look of Chateaux d'Ige. Do you know if you can go to this (or any of the chateaux) just for lunch or dinner, if you aren't a guest there?

Thanks
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:27 PM

Lucarne aux chouettes is actually the same hotel that I suggested (owned by Leslie Caron). When I google the name, the right website comes up. Try www.lesliecaron-auberge.com
Old Jan 29th, 2007, 12:39 PM
hdm

Thanks so much, Cimbrone -- that looks lovely. We'll be in Auxerre for three days and Dijon for four, and it seems to be a reasonable day trip from both so perhaps we'll give it a try for lunch or dinner. I assume you have to reserve in advance.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:10 AM

Hdm:

Here is the link for La Lucarne aux Chouettes, but I see someone else has already given it to you.. http://www.lesliecaron-auberge.com/

Well..now you have it twice.. Definitely stay here if you get the chance
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 03:35 AM
hdm

Thanks, Langcraft. It looks beautiful. We won't be able to stay there but I hope we can go for lunch or dinner. It would be a nice day trip from Dijon or Auxerre, don't you think?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:41 AM

Hi, hdm maybe you could stop there for lunch on your way to Auxerre? And then you might save some time to see other things... Just a suggestion!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:51 AM
hdm

Hi coco,
That's a good idea -- we were planning to stop somewhere for lunch anyway so we wouldn't get to our hotel before they were ready for us.

Do you think I have to make reservations very far in advance?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 04:57 AM

Why don't you contact them now and ask how long in advance you can book? Maybe you'll be the first ones on their list for that day!
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:40 AM
hdm

I don't want them to think I'm crazy -- booking for lunch 4 months ahead! On the other hand, I don't want to miss a chance to go there. Maybe I'll just wait a bit and only book 3 months ahead. After all, we have lots of choices of days -- we can go from Dijon too, can't we? Or is it far?
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 05:51 AM

Mappy says it is 205km from Dijon, then I would prefer to have lunch during my stay in Auxerre (if I were you ) since it is only 45km from there. But it is up to you! ;-)
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:00 AM
hdm

I think you're right and we'll go from Auxerre. Thanks, Coco.
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:34 AM

Hdm:

One last comment.. If you should get to have a meal or even stay at La Lucarne aux Chouettes, be sure to try the red wines from Irancy. Irancy is not on the general wine route, but the reds are wonderful and yes.. I had it for the 1st time at La Lucarne..
Old Jan 30th, 2007, 06:46 AM
hdm

Good to know, Langcraft. I'm not a wine drinker (much) but my SO is and he's reading Red, White & Drunk All Over right now, and making a few notes on the red wines of France. I'm sure he'll be interested in this and I've promised I'll do some red wine tasting too.

If you haven't read the book, you might find it fun, even if you do know quite a lot about wine.