Burgundy

Jan 6th, 2010, 06:07 PM
Original Poster

Burgundy

Flying into Paris late April and spending a couple of days there, then 4-5 days in Burgundy. Want to combine hiking with wine tasting, good food, maybe a cooking class. Don't know if should stay in one place and plan on daily hikes or move from place to place.

Maybe there's a better place for that kind of vacation then Burgundy. Did that in Provence.

Any suggestions/recommendations for a good itinerary?

Thanks
Jan 6th, 2010, 11:20 PM

Will you have a car or what is your transportation option?
Jan 7th, 2010, 02:16 AM

We had a too brief visit in Beaune on our way to a river cruise - it seemed like a wonderful town and region. Rick Steves has quite a bit of info in his books about the area - mentions hikes and bike routes (I've been reading them for maybe next time). It does seem like a car would be good, but I'm considering doing it by train.
Jan 7th, 2010, 05:09 AM
ira

Hey S,

Whatever worked for you in Provence should work in Burgundy. You can train to Dijon or Beaune and start from there.

What's your budget?

Jan 9th, 2010, 05:03 PM
Original Poster

I don't really have a budget - like to stay at a nice place at night after a nice dinner. Will probably have a car. Idally, stay at one place and hike some days, maybe cooking classes one day... but don't mind moving every day or two if it makes sense
In Provence we rented a house and did day trips, no hiking
Jan 9th, 2010, 05:36 PM

The Moulin des ruats is a converted mill that has cute rooms with all the basics at a reasonable rate. The restaurant in incredible (people come from Paris at the weekend to eat there) and it;s right on the edge of a French national forest that would be great for hiking.

Eating dinner in the restaurant I saw a white shape through the window and across the stream. I thought it was a cat until I saw it run and realized it was an ermine (you know that weasely run). I heard the forest also has a lot of other wildlife including deer and wild boar. It's fairly close to a bunch of interesting places to see - we especially loved Vezelay.

But, you must have a car to make it viable.
Jan 10th, 2010, 02:29 PM

A few years ago I stayed at the Moulin des Ruats for one night during a 10-day stay thru Burgundy.
I remember wishing I had longer at that hotel, and agree with NYTraveler that it would be a great place for your purposes. The area is beautiful, and the food wonderful there. I loved all of Burgundy, in fact, and I'm sure you will too, whereever you decide to stay.
Jan 11th, 2010, 06:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the recommendations. What do you think about Bordeaux if we decide on that part of France instead ...