Burgos-Which hotel?

Search

Burgos-Which hotel?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2006, 11:42 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Burgos-Which hotel?

Hi, I am planing to include Burgos in our next trip to Spain.
We have been there before that was long ago.
For what I read I considering either Hotel Rice or Hotel
Norte y Londres.
I am longing to visit again the amazing Monasterio de las Huelgas ,one of the Spain's greatest Gothic Cathedrals and much more of this city where the Kingdom of Castile was born.
But I am not sure which hotel to choose, I know that there is luxury choice the Landa Palace but most likely it will too expensive and we are planing to stay at least three days. THank you.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 12:47 PM

Hi Graziella,

I'll be going to Burgos in a couple of weeks and will stay at the NH Palacio de la Merced. It was recommended by Maribel.

I'll post my comments upon my return but that will not be until the end of August.

When is your trip?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:27 PM

The Palacio De La Merced is fabulous but pricey. Sorry I can't give you any information about the other choices.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:45 PM

I got a rate of 94 euros per night. I find that reasonable for that type of property.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 02:50 PM

I agree 94 euros is an excellent price. I paid more.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 03:30 PM
Original Poster

Hi, Cruiseluv, great choice, if Maribel says it is good it surely is great. We shall not be going right away I am in the mist of palnning the trip. I wish to return to Burgos, also to Zamora and Salamanca and I might include some other Catillian cities or small cities.
The first time I saw some green and gold tunic used by a knight during the middle ages in the Museum of the Monasterio de las Huelgas I was really touched, this was centuries ago.. I shall be looking for your comments, we shall be going after August, probably during the Fall. We shall see. Have a agreat trip.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 06:38 PM

Historytraveler,

It might be I'm getting a good rate beacuse I'm going in August!

Thanks Graziella,

I'll certainly let you know. If you're going to Zamora( if you do, consider staying at the Parador)I hope you get to León as well, one of my favorites, with the magnificent Cathedral. I can't remember from your other posts if you have already been there or not.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi cruiseluv, We seem to love the same things the same places. Yes, we are heading to the Parador in Zamora. We stopped there once for a few hours on our way to Leon.
Leon is a favorite of mine, the Parador too , both Cathedrals Leon and Burgos are great, so much marvelous light...
After Burgos where are you heading,? I am looking forward to read your posting.
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 07:41 PM
Original Poster

Hi, one more question, I have been reading a biography of Queen ISabel, and again and again, Medina del Campo, Toro, Tordesillas, Valladolid etc are mentioned. How about them?
Old Jul 16th, 2006, 08:22 PM

Hi Graziella,

In Zamora don't miss the Holy Week museum, a couple of blocks from the Parador ( I can't remember if that's the name). It is where they keep all the floats and figures they use for the processions during Holy Week. I thought it was very interesting.

After Burgos I'm going to Madrid ( just one night) on my way to Lucca, Italy (via Pisa) for an Italian language immersion course.

Before Burgos I'll be in Santander, taking my teenage son who will be participating in the Spanish language program offered by Universidad Menendez Pelayo.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:35 AM
Original Poster

We try to do some traveling in Spain and then another different scenario. Sometimes it is France, or Italy, or
Netherlands. This trip we thought of Italy. No doubt we have similar likings because sometimes we also thought to do an Italian course. Can you tell me if it is no imposition the www of the ITalian Course in LuccaÇ
Thank you.
We do speak some Italian.
Old Jul 17th, 2006, 06:59 AM

Graziella,

The website is www.koinecenter.com. They have several locations in Italy . I'm going to the one in Lucca, but they also have in Florence, Bologna and a couple others that I can't recall.
Please be aware that I have not tried the school previously. It was recommended to me by posters in www.slowtrav.com.

Another school that I read a lot of positive comments about is in Siena www.saenaiulia.it. That was my first choice but I ran into problems getting accommodations so I switched to Koine.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 03:26 AM
car

I find hotel Rice well located,
10 minutes walking from the old town and easy parking around.
A good quality/price relation.
They also have a great restaurant.
The Landa Palace is outside town, 5 Km or so to the center.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:46 AM

Couple years ago, I stayed at hotel Cordon for several nights, a newly- renovated hotel with nice room in town centr, across street from Casa del Cordon, short walk to cathedral and Plaza Mayor, and with quite a few good restaurants and tapas bars around.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:25 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cruiseluv, thank you very Much ¡
Have a great trip , have fun in Luca and learn a lot

Old Jul 18th, 2006, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cruiseluv, I recently read on another posting that this year you will be going to Potes. Are you going to stay at the Hotel Oso. Hope so, I liked it very mucho. Food there is tremendous , delicous, only problem for me too much food , I guess sharing sometimes would be a good idea. We stayed in the Annex which turn out to be a very nice place and rates where at the time really convenient. Buena Suerte.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 11:45 AM

Hi Graziella,

unfortunately , I will not have a car . The people from Hotel del Oso said it would not be convenient for me to get there without a car. So what I'm planning is a daytrip( in a group type excursion) to Potes/ Fuente Dé/ Santo Toribio from Santander. It'll be a very long day but I want to get to that area.
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Hi criseluv, You are right, El Oso is in Cosgaya a little off Potes, but it is such a nice place. If you could only have lunch there. We noticed people come from all over to eat in El Oso. Reservations are required .
Of course you are aware of the famous nearby Monasterio de Santo Toribio de Liebana worth visiting. However the Picos are what is really fascinating in the area you cannot go wrong there.
We usually drive around but this time, we too, are considering going from Madrid to Zamora, Salamanca to Burgos and Burgos to Madrid by train. Doing by bus the Zamora to Salamanca.
Have fun ...
Old Jul 18th, 2006, 06:41 PM

Thank you Graziella.

The route you're planning is very easy to do by bus, I have done it.

Good luck to you too in your planning!