Bulle/Charmey (Gruyere region)

Old Oct 8th, 2015, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bulle/Charmey (Gruyere region)

In the very earliest stages of planning a possible return to Switzerland April 2016 (a lot can happen between now and then, but planning is such a pleasant diversion!)

I would rent an apartment for a week elsewhere, visiting Zurich for the Burning of the Boog on April 18th, then move to Bulle for 3 nights to better explore that area. This town looks large enough to offer a small variety of B&Bs + hotels, a Migros and Coop and a pleasant old town. Decent train connections back to Zurich airport. Anyone have personal experience?
Recos for place to stay?

I would hike to Broc through the gentle Bouleyres forest(6kms, 90 mins) to visit the chocolate factory which I passed up last year after visiting Gruyeres).

Though I would have loved to ascend Le Moleson, the funicular and cableway from Plan-Francey do not begin until May, so that's out.
Likewise, the Charmey chairlift does not run until May, and the Alpkaeserei in Moleson does not start till May

Further investigation of Charmey reveals their famous baths and Wellness Center, so I would plan to indulge in a massage there.
Has anyone experienced?

It seems that the only other highly reco sight in the area would be the Musee
Gruerien in Bulle, so I anticipate a relaxing end to my vacation in Bulle.
Any additional input for this small area? Have already visited Fribourg, Biel, Neuchatel and Gruyeres.
Thanks in advance
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 08:15 PM
kja

As I noted when you were last planning to visit the area: I visited the Cailler chocolate factory in Broc on a weekday in late May of 2013. I took the 15:58 train from Gruyeres to Broc (via Bulle) and had less than a 30 minute wait for the (mandatory) tour. I thought the tour more interesting than I expected (but I hadn't expected much) and the tasting less delightful than I had envisioned (but maybe my expectations were too high, or maybe the options weren't as wide as they might have been if it wasn't the last tasting of the day). YMMV.
Old Oct 8th, 2015, 09:55 PM

Oooh what another fun trip, mokka4!

I've spent a day in Bulle but never an overnight. I was a little underwhelmed with the town, but I think it was because my expectations were a little high. I was instinctively searching for a "pull" or a "center" there -- something like a square, a riverwalk, a lakefront, and I didn't find any. Oh, there is a small square where, they told me, the market is held, but it didn't really ring my chimes.

I seemed to be the only non-Swiss person in town, and folks seemed to be able to tell from blocks away. They would direct me to the sights without my asking, all smiles and delighted that I had found my way to their town.

I think it would be right up your alley -- a cosy town that opens up for those willing to put in the time and effort to explore it.

Here's another walk in the neighborhood, from Bulle to Gruyeres, but this one takes 2h40:

http://www.la-gruyere.ch/en/Bulle/hi...-the-next.html

I'll add this walk, which I've been planning to do for several years:

http://www.myswitzerland.com/en-us/c...ese-trail.html

I wouldn't mourn your missing Le Moleson. I spent some time there and took the cable car up to the first stop, and again, I was underwhelmed. For one thing, it is a place built and existing only for tourists -- the little town is nothing but vacation apartments and playground. And public transportation wasn't terrific -- I had to wait 2h for a bus because they didn't run during lunch hours.

Other things to do . . . maybe visit Chateau d'Oex, where I spent two weeks. It's another lovely little town with a pretty castle nestled in serious hill country. And Rougemont, which is, for my money the prettiest town in the region though there's not much to do or see in the area. You may have seen these two when you were at Lenk, but if not, they are about 1h away with a change in Montbovon.

Have you been to Romont? Another quiet little town with a castle high on a hill, a bit of an uphill hike. Would be less than 30 minutes from Bulle.

Well, that should get you started! What a lovely trip you'll have!

s
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 12:29 AM

Mid-end April is a little too early, even for the pre-Alps. (You already found out that many cable cars etc. will still be closed.)

Fully agree with swandav, as usual I might say , I only drove through Bulle, stopped shortly and was not impressed at all. You probably know the town burned down in a big fire shortly after 1800 and was rebuilt sort of, let's say, less organised than usual in Switzerland. It has a confusing layout IMO, not exactly exciting architecture.

I know you want to see the mountains, but there are really more rewarding places/towns in Western Switzerland, especially for this time of year. Think of Estavayer-le-Lac, Romont, Avenches, Yverdon ... not to mention Fribourg itself.
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 02:11 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for your speedy input!
I'll look further into your suggestions. May need to rethink Bulle as my base.... I won't likely be able to go later than April though.
Yes, have been to both Romont and Fribourg last year, and enjoyed both.
Old Oct 9th, 2015, 11:45 AM
Original Poster

Topping for any other comment?
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 09:02 AM

Moleson Village - Mount Moleson:
There is usually no longer enough snow for winter sports, but too much snow for hiking in early/mid April; therefore almost everything there is closed.

May be you have a look at Orbe, another absolutely untouristy tiny medieval city in Switzerland, close to a roman villa with mosaics, the famous monastery of Romainmotier, the caves and the iron museum of Vallorbe and all the small towns and castles on and above Lake Geneva (Morges, Aubonne, Rolle...) and Lake Neuchatel (Yverdon-les-Bains, Ste-Croix, Grandson, Estavayer...)
http://www.yverdonlesbainsregion.ch/en/orbe_region
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 11:33 AM
Original Poster

Estavayer is looking like a possible contender or at least a daytrip.
Looks pretty/scenic with the lake. I might have to take a day out of my first town base and add it to this area.

But, I'm pretty fixed on the Bulle to Broc-Fabrique walk (and chocolate imbibing), a leisurely visit to the Bulle Gruyerzmuseum, a massage in Charmey Wellness Center (don't need to indulge in the Baths)and the Chemin du Gruyere walk from Charmey to Gruyeres. So it seems to make more sense to base in Bulle for the (slightly better) train transit times.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
I'll be sure to do a TR if/when this trip comes to pass
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 05:34 PM

In April I would probably stay in a larger town so you have more options as to what to see/do if it turns out that the hiking trails are still very muddy. The lake steamers should be running by then providing access to a number of smaller villages.
Old Oct 10th, 2015, 06:43 PM

Received 12 Likes on 1 Post
I visited the Cailler chocolate factory on Oct 4, 2011 on my way from Interlaken to Montreux. Probably got there around noon or so before going to Gruyeres for lunch.... Dessert before lunch!!! ;-)

I waited about 5 minutes or so for my "tour". Turns out I was the only person on the tour, no guide or anything. They sent me down a hallway where I was met by someone who put me in a little dark room which ended being an elevator which descended a floor or so and opened up to a room where I started my self-guided visit.

I was the only person in the tasting room! Even the attendant left when I arrived! Could have pocketed all the chocolates I liked!!! Lol, although they probably have surveillance cameras.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 02:41 AM
Original Poster

joannyc: my dream!
I have an unnatural 'capacity' when it comes to chocolate...thanks to years of training ;-)) !
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 06:53 AM

I suppose you know that the trail from Charmey to Gruyeres goes trough Broc. The distance between the trail and the chocolate factory is about 500 metres.
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 10:06 AM
Original Poster

neckervd: yes, now that you point it out, I do see Broc on the way of the Chemin du Gruyere walk out of Charmey.
But, I think I will stick with the shorter hike from Bulle via Bouleyres forest to Broc, then train 'home' with my chocolate treasures, before melting sets in ;-) .

If too muddy or bad weather, I will be inclined to forego the longer Chemin du Gruyere walk, and instead, maybe just walk up to Gruyeres from the Gare for lunch or dinner. (Have already toured the castle and Alien museum.)

Any 'extra' time will be spent visiting Estavayer. Or Orbe. Or Avenches. Or Chateau d'Oex. Or Yverdon...or Rougemont...more than enough choices now for my limited time, thanks!
Old Oct 11th, 2015, 09:34 PM

. . . too much Switzerland, too little time . . .

s