Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

bugs in carry-on a problem? No, just x-rayed and sent on our way!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:30 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had the strangest experience on our way back from Paris. We had visited Deyrolles - a type of taxidermy store - and my son bought a large scorpion and a 4-5 inch beetle (not live!) I debated on whether to declare them upon entering the US since the customs forms asked about insects and decided I would do so, so as not to have them confiscated if they were found. The customs official sent us to a separate line with our luggage, which did not surprise me, but did make me a bit nervous...didn't want to lose my son's prized souvenirs. (Didn't he ever hear of just buying a little Eiffel Tower??? )

Not that I'm complaining mind you, but it seemed rather strange that here I was declaring what might have been an agricultural pest for all they knew, and no one in this second area even bothered to look at my luggage or ask me anything about the offending items, marked as 'yes' to insects on the customs forms. Out things were passed through an X-ray machine and we were sent on our merry way without a word. I doubt an X-ray would have revealed some sort of exotic pest entering the USA, ready to infest the country! So much for security, although I'm certainly glad it was not a problem! My son's collection benefitted!

Now I'm wondering what other customs encounters people have had coming back into the USA?
Old Sep 21st, 2006, 06:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
LOl, in February I brought back two exotic insects from Deyrolles in a shadow box they chose for me but no problem. I wrapped the box in worn clothing in my carryon. Knowing they were no problem, I didn't declare having insects. They now hang above our desk.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:00 AM
Original Poster

Hi Cigale (good name for this post )
I really considered not declaring them...and shouldn't have bothered as it turns out. My son also had a two foot gargoyle. It had been carefully wrapped in bubble wrap with the top half sticking out of his backpack. That, they were all over! He had to unwrap the whole thing. Priorities of the US!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:06 AM
ira

Hi kw,

>I debated on whether to declare [dead insects] upon entering the US since the customs forms asked about insects and decided I would do so, so as not to have them confiscated if they were found. <

They would have been confiscated if they were alive - declared or not. You have to have a permit.

As for security lapses: Did you happen to mention that the bugs weren't alive?

Enjoy your souveniers.

Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 04:46 AM
Original Poster

Hi ira - yes, I did mention they were not alive to the first security agent, hoping they would say forget about it, but he sent me to the other line. The other people didn't even glance at anything, including the form, x-rayed everything and sent us on. They were more intent on talking to each other.

I'm glad the way it worked out, obviously, but it seems like it was pretty lax. If it wasn't important enough to check out, why send us to the second line where nothing was questioned.

Next time, I won't bother declaring this type of thing. I'll follow cigalechanta's lead

I'm not sure I'll enjoy the souvenirs personally, but my son will!
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 06:52 AM

Did you hear about the guy who tried to smuggle in 2 spider monkeys? Yeah, he had them shoved down his PANTS! *shakes head* Some people.... His buddy had 2 endangered feline kittens in his backpack.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 07:45 AM

I know this thread is directed at US returnees but a word of warning about bringing anything that has ever been alive (food, baskets, bugs, wood etc) into Australia. It must be declared and many items are confiscated and destroyed to the chagrin of many passengers. Australia (touch wood) has avoided many agricultural diseases and pests (other than the notorious cane toad and prickly pear) and has flora and fauna highly susceptible to exotic organisms.
We have a show called Border Patrol dealing with the customs and quarantine departments. Each episode has several visitors falling foul of the laws and paying hefty fines.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

I'm glad that guy didn't shove the prickly pear down his pants!!!

Anyway...I guess I was expecting the American equivalent of Border Patrol once I said I had once-alive BIG insects.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:19 AM

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't know, if I were that guy I think between prickly pears and spider monkeys in the pants, I might go with the prickly pears.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 11:49 AM
Original Poster

http://www.oaklandzoo.org/atoz/azspdmky.html

http://www.desertusa.com/magoct97/oc...u_prkpear.html

Ouch!!! I think I'd prefer the monkeys
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 03:58 PM

Beats ferrets, though.
Old Sep 22nd, 2006, 05:51 PM
Original Poster