Budget hotels near Paddington

Aug 15th, 2006, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Budget hotels near Paddington

I will be in London for 3 nights in Sept & would like to stay near Paddington so I don't have to take luggage on the tube.
Which of these is the best choice?
Admiral Hotel,Orchard Hotel, St Davids, Tudor Court, Edward HOtel or any other suggstions please. This is for 1 person.
thank you
Aug 15th, 2006, 03:26 PM

Try the Quality
Aug 15th, 2006, 04:07 PM
MaureenB

There's an area between Paddington and Hyde Park, called Sussex Gardens. It's a nice, semi-residential neighborhood with a couple of good restaurants and some nice little hotels. It's about 5 blocks' walk to Paddington. It's much nicer than the direct Paddington area, which is very commercial. We stayed at a B&B called the Hyde Park Radnor, which is very clean and nicely kept. There are others on the same block, but I don't know their names. Try londontown.com.
Be sure to see if you can still check luggage at Paddington for your flight (which is what I assume you're planning to do). I know our airline didn't do it any more last summer, and others may have also discontinued the practice given today's security concerns.

Aug 17th, 2006, 06:30 AM

I can personally recommend the HYDE PARK ROOMS HOTEL, a family-run B&B in Sussex Gardens (website hydeparkroomshotel.com), if you're looking for very basic accomodations with a friendly proprietor and convenient location (literally right around the corner from Paddington station). For a step up in quality I can recommend the BEST WESTERN MORNINGTON, where you can get a single room for 79GBP (rooms are small, so the single is actually more comfortable than the doubles). This hotel is also Paddington-adjacent and is steps from Hyde Park. The breakfast room is lovely and the 79 GBP included, for me, an excellent, full buffet breakfast.
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:01 AM

Maureen B,
You can no longer check in luggage (and get a boarding pass) at Paddington. There is a left luggage service at the far right end of the platforms, though.
Aug 17th, 2006, 07:08 AM
MaureenB

Thanks, W9London, for clarifying.

Aug 24th, 2006, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your suggestions. I'm going to look at these today. I have been very busy getting the Africa part of my trip organized.
Aug 25th, 2006, 10:48 AM

My wife and I spent 3 delighful days in July at the Royal Park Hotel in Sussex Gardens. It is a small very well appointed hotel, with a pleasant and attentive staff. We had a very nice ensuite room for £150 + VAT per night, including continental breakfast. It is two blocks from Paddington Station, two blocks from Hyde Park. Just down the street is the Royal Lancaster Hotel, which has two excellent restaurants and a good bar in the Island restaurant.
Sep 8th, 2006, 09:57 AM

make sure you don't stay IN paddington itself - unless you want to share pavement space with prostitutes

Search this Thread