Budget hotels in Venice

Jan 18th, 2004, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

Budget hotels in Venice

I'm traveling to Venice, Italy (first time in Italy!) in April, and I need to stay at a budget hotel. Does anyone have any experience with the following hotels:
Al Campaniel, Albergo San Samuele, Albergo Doni or Hotel Noemi.
Any other hotel suggestions, and general traveling tips for a single woman, also appreciated! Thanks.
Jan 18th, 2004, 01:54 PM

I am also a single woman traveling alone to Italy but in July. Do you have websites for these hotels?
Jan 18th, 2004, 02:09 PM
Original Poster

Dear Tinarose:

....as a matter of fact, I do have website for the hotels I mentioned:
Al Campaniel - http://alcampaniel.tripod.com/venezia/
Albergo San Samuele- http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/lis...sansamuele.asp
Albergo Doni- http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/lis...ction/doni.asp
Hotel Noemi- http://www.eurocheapo.com/venice/lis...tion/noemi.asp
Jan 18th, 2004, 02:12 PM

There is an earlier thread about Al Campaniel. In brief, I stayed there last April; the room, while smallish, was well maintained and nicely appointed; the room and the bathroom were kept immaculately clean; Marco, the owner, is very pleasant and helpful and speaks excellent English. The location is good; one stop before the Accademia, as I recall, on the vaporetto that goes up and down the Grand Canal. There is also a traghetto a few steps away, which takes one to the San Marco side quickly and inexpensively.

And no, I am not given a commission by Al Campaniel. I was simply very pleased to find such pleasant accommodation at a rate that is very low for Venice.

The Web site -- as Google would tell anyone who tried -- is:

http://alcampaniel.tripod.com/
Jan 18th, 2004, 02:41 PM

junetwin, it appears you're a first time poster here, so you may not realize you can search for previous threads that have info for you. By typing the name of any of these hotels in the "search this forum" box above and adding AND venice (ie. Al Campaniel AND venice) you'll find previous threads mentioning the hotel. You can also do a saerch for "budget hotels in venice" (don't use quotes).

You can also look at the hotel section here (go up to hotels at the top banner, then click europe, then venice & you'll find user reviews under rants & raves as well as Fodors reviews.

Another great place to look for opinions is tripadvisor.com

Welcome, good luck & have a great trip!
Jan 18th, 2004, 02:45 PM

P.S. You can also check previous threads for venice AND alone or solo. Venice is very safe-just watch your handbag in crowds as you would anywhere.
Jan 18th, 2004, 03:39 PM
Original Poster

Hi:
Many thanks to MCLAURIE for the warm welcome, and the info RE 'threads'. I took your advice and found a wealth of information about hotels. I now have a short list to work from! I'm VERY excited about my trip!
Jan 18th, 2004, 05:24 PM

Eloise - Al Campaniel sounds very nice. I went to their web site but since you have stayed there maybe you could answer a couple of questions. They say the "bathroom" is private and the shower is next door. Does that mean the toilet and sink are inside the room? Also, how was the breakfast? And also, was it easy to find? Anything else you care to add. Thanks.
Jan 19th, 2004, 09:53 AM

Hi junetwin,
I'm booked in at the Lux
http://www.veniceby.com/lux/index.html
I have yet to find someone who has stayed there but it is a 3* and the rate is fantastic.
We will be in Venice 1st-5th April. When are you there? There seem to be many of us fodorites going in April, we should organise a get together one evening!
Jan 19th, 2004, 11:23 AM

Here is a copy of an earlier posting from me: I stayed at Albergo Doni two years ago. Our room was small but not overly so. The bed was not the most comfortable around (pretty solid if you like it that way), but I slept very well. You can't beat the location, especially given the price, and it is very quiet at night. We were so close to Piazza San Marco and a couple of major vaporetto stops. I never had to wait for the restroom or shower. The breakfast was just rolls and such. It was a start but didn't last me all morning. Service was friendly. Some staff spoke English, and others spoke almost none. If you look at the Venice section (it might be in my travelogue section instead of the photos part) on my Web site (oneeyed.homestead.com), you can see a photo from our hotel window. I would stay there again but will likely try a different area of Venice next time for variety - I really liked the area near the Accademia Bridge too.

Jan 19th, 2004, 01:26 PM
Original Poster

Mischka:

I will be in Venice from April 14-19. Sorry! We'll just miss each other. Thanks for the hotel info; I'll check out the website. So far I'm finding that ANYTHING close to San Marco is incredibly expensive. I'm hoping for something around 100 euros or less.
Jan 19th, 2004, 06:10 PM

Hello, Isabel,

I stayed in a "regular" room; the bathroom, which was just across the hall from my room, was exclusively for my use (I was given the key and there was no other guest room on the floor) and included shower, toilet and sink. I would imagine that in the "superior" rooms the toilet and sink are "en suite", i.e., can be reached without leaving the room itself, not that they are IN the room itself. Where the shower is in relation to the toilet and sink, I would not venture to guess.

Breakfast may be a bit of a problem: There is an electric kettle in the room, and tea bags, coffee sachets, powdered milk sachets and a variety of prepackaged Italian breakfast baked goods (a kind of croissant or brioche, rusks, etc.) are provided. If you like an American breakfast, then I don't think you'd like Al Campaniel. Since my own breakfast at home consists of a café au lait, I did not find it difficult to adjust to Al Campaniel's breakfast.

It is extremely easy to find: you get off at the San Toma vaporetto stop, take the only tiny lane that leads from the vaporetto stop to the Campo San Toma, take an immediate left onto Calle del Campaniel, and Al Campaniel is the third or fourth door on your left.
Jan 20th, 2004, 05:05 AM

junetwin, 100 euros/night for a single should get you something nice in April. I plugged in your dates on venere.com to see what was available. Under hotels (tab at top has hotels, b & b, townhouse suites, inns, apartments), the Bel Sito & Berlino is 450 euros for the whole 5 night stay (do you realize venere is giving you prices for the entire stay-not per night??) It's near San Marco, gets good reviews on venere. There's a special offer now of 10 euros off/night for a 4 night or more stay. I don't know it, but it was 1 place recommended to me, the location looks great & reviews on venere are good. I'd check reviews on tripadvisor.

Listed under townhouse suites on venere, there's a place Locanda alla Fenice (aka Casa alla Fenice) that's 500e for the 5 nights. The only problem I see with this place is breakfast is served in your room (no mention about this at Bel Sito) which may not be the best option for a solo traveler. You might prefer a breakfast room to maybe meet some people.

Anyway, bottom line, don't settle for weird bathroom set ups if you're prepared to pay 100e/night on a single.

Also, the Galleria owns a new hotel (can't remember the name) that people have liked very much that might work.
Jan 20th, 2004, 06:35 AM

My wife and I stayed at the Hotel Campiello (http://www.hcampiello.it/Index_ing.htm) last Feb. They give prices of EUR 70-114 for single, so it may be in your price range. I'm pretty sure we got 10% off for paying cash, so you might ask if this is still available, though we were there in low season so they may have been more flexible. It's quite close to San Marco, but is in Castello, so it's "past" much of the crowds which concentrate San Marco and towards Rialto. (It's located one "block" off the Riva and one "block" past the Hotel Danielli.) The hotel was very nice, clean, had friendly staff, and had a good buffet (continental) breakfast. They were renovating while we were there, including installing an elevator, so I'm sure it's even nicer now. (Unfortunately, the website lists it as being more expensive as we only paid EUR 72 for a double.)

Enjoy your trip,
Paul
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:19 AM

Buon Giorno;
www.minervaenettuno.it
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:33 AM

mclaurie,

The owners of the Galleria also own the "Casa Rezzonico". Here's a thread about it >>> Hotel Galleria changes me to Casa Rezzonico - anyone know of it?
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34396348

junetwin,
Do be aware that Venice is a small and compact city. As long as you're staying on the island itself (versus the Lido or Mestre) it's easy to get around, either by foot or vaparetto.
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:39 AM

Just FYI:

We're going to stay at Casa Rezzonico in May and they're charging us 140E/night for a large double room with private bath, canal view. I don't know if they have single rooms.

http://www.casarezzonico.it/
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:12 AM

It's too bad that we're not there at the same time junetwin. Good luck with your hotel search. Hope you enjoy Venice as much as I plan to
Jan 20th, 2004, 10:29 AM

junetwin:

My mom and I stayed at the Albergo Doni last September and really liked it. It is VERY close to San Mark's square (maybe a 5 minute walk, if that) and the proprietors are really nice and helpful. The hotel itself is attractive and clean and is situated on a small side canal.

We paid 85€/night for a double w/out private bath. The room was big and did include a sink and bidet. There were toilets one floor up and one floor down and the shower was also one floor down. I never had to wait for either a toilet or the shower. Everything was kept clean.

I a couple of pictures of our room and of some of the common areas of the hotel. Email me if you'd like to see them.

Good luck,
Jennie

[email protected]