Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budget Golfing Trip to Scotland? Is this possible? Please help with course and hotel recommendations! St. Andrews or in Edinburgh?

Search

Budget Golfing Trip to Scotland? Is this possible? Please help with course and hotel recommendations! St. Andrews or in Edinburgh?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So, I am trying to help my dad out with planning a (budget) golf trip to Scotland. He and two other men are planning on spending three days playing some St. Andrews course. He is overwhelmed with the choices. They’re not looking to play the more expensive old courses; they just want to have a great time. I think they’re hoping to spend $75 max per round. Also, would you recommend that they stay in St. Andrews or in Edinburgh? I think they’re afraid that they’re won’t be much to do in St. Andrews. They're not big party people--just want fun places to hang out and go out to dinner. Any opinions? Any particular hotel or B&B recommendations? I think they’d like to keep the accommodations to $50-$75 per person/per night.

Can this be done?
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:57 AM

If I were them I'd stay one night at least in Edinburgh and 2 nights in Fife. Edinburgh is an fantastic city and they will find lots to see/do.

Then I would head up to Fife and stay somewhere like the village of Crail. It is a beautiful fishing village, and has a terrific golf course right out on the tip of the peninsula.

Here is a neat guest house that would meet their needs perfectly. Really good food too. Caiplie Guest House - www.s-h-systems.co.uk/hotels/caiplie.html phone 011-44-1333-450564. It is a friendly, comfortable guesthouse in the center of the village. Not “Posh” but comfy £20+ per person B&B

Crail is less than 10 miles from St Andrews and is close to a lot of the other links courses in the area.
Old Mar 11th, 2005, 08:59 AM

meant to add - if they are in the area strictly for golfing and aren't interested in sightseeing in Edinburgh - then they could stay all three nights in Crail/Fife.
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 12:17 AM

My own view is with Janis on this. I would spend all three nights in Fife. I probably wouldn't stay in St Andrews and given the gold connection they should look at Elie.

St Andrews is a fairly buzzy University twon so there's always a lot on.

Do you have time to book the Old Course in advance? It would be a wonderful experience even if it's not top of the list.

Courses to look at would include Kingsbarns, St Andrews Bay, Elie, Ladybank. And, of course, they're no distance at all from the championship course at Carnoustie

Have a look at http://standrews.co.uk/FirstinFife.htm

Have a look at the Golf Hotel in Elie. Having tried to access their web site for about 15 minutes it would appear their domain has been stolen. Worth a call tho'. As far as I can see it should be about £70 for a single B&B
Old Mar 12th, 2005, 11:22 AM

Hollis,
This will be my third straight summer to spend in St. Andrews. I have played many of the links in all of Scotland, so I can offer first-hand advice.

Will your dad and friends have a car? That makes a big difference, traveling with golf clubs.

I would recommend staying in Leven, Elie, or Crail and playing those historic, fun links. Fees are: Leven $75 weekday/$100 weekend----Lundin Links (also located in Leven) $75 weekday/$100 weekend---Elie $100---Crail Balcomie Links $75 weekday/$100 weekend. You can pull up these (and other links) on Google by simply typing in Lundin Links, Leven Links, Crail Golfing Society, Elie Golf House Club.

These links are only about 15-20 miles from St. Andrews, so your dad and friends could journey up for a few hours, if they choose.

E-mail me for further suggestions, if you like. [email protected]

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:31 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all your responses. I have a question, though (from my dad!) Why do you all recommend staying in Crail over St. Andrews? Would St. Andrews be more fun, but just more expensive?

They think they'll want to go out to dinner and maybe to some pubs at night. Also my dad is planning this trip for everyone so he wanted to offer them the option of a couple of grades of accomodations. Any recommendations, if they wanted to spend a bit more money (up to 100 pounds per night/per person)?

Thanks so much everyone! I'm so thrilled with the great responses here! (And I think we'd made a fodors convert out of my dad--he plans to join the board himself)
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:53 AM

They could stay in St. Andrews---maybe find a triple B & B for $75 each---and play three St. Andrews courses. The Jubilee for $100---the New for $100---and the Eden for $65. All are very good links and they wouldn't have any trouble getting off. A warning though. They will want to play the Old Course (it beckons and seduces!). But they can get on if they are willing to get up at 4:30am and go down to the starter---and be willing to split up as they will be paired with other golfers with tee times---and fork over $200 to play the most enjoyable 18 holes of their life!

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 06:16 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Jinx! I'm talking to my dad on the phone now, and I just read your post to him! We both agreed that you're probably right about the Old Course! I think that's why he's looking to stay in St. Andrews (it will only be for two nights). Do you know of any specific guesthouses/hotels that you would recommend?

Some of the places up for consideration are the Old Station (www.oldstation.co.uk), Annandale Guesthouse in St. Andrews (which doesn't really look all that great)...we've been looking at list on www.stayinstandrews.co.uk --but honestly, they all look the same to us. Any advice? Thanks again
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:33 AM

When do your father and friends plan to be in Scotland? That will make some difference in recommendations.

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 12:33 PM

Nobody has mentioned the possibility of rain. You could get several days of rain and personally I would not want to be in Crail or even St. Andrews if the weather is miserable. Perhaps your Dad and his buddies are not bothered by inclement weather, however.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 01:25 PM

almcd, you obviously don't know the old saying, it never rains on a golf course.

I recommend anywhere down the coast over St Andres because in the final analysis it is a touristy place.

If your dad wants to stay in St Andrews the Scores and the Golf Hotel are both good options.

All the little East Neuk towns have good restaurants and a pub or two.

If they have time to book the Old Course they cant try.

You can't walk on at the Old Course. To book a tee at the Old Course in advance you phone, probably about a year in advance on 00 44 1334 466666 and ask for advance reservations.

Thereafter you can only get a tee by going through the daily ballot procedure. You phone the links committee on 00 44 1334 466666 the day before you want to play before 2pm (For Mondays you phone on Saturdays). You tell them the names of the golfers and their handicaps. (If you are picked you will have to show handicap certificates) and you tell them your home clubs. The ballot is then picked at random. They have on average 12-15 slots available per day.

The cost is £75 per round and the rounds are available for 2- 4 players

As Jinx said, you can also try to play as a single or a pair on the actual day.
The starter will try to match you with a pair or a three ball if he can.

They suggest that you check the date in advance to ensure the tees are not booked for competition.

They suggest you turn up as early as possible to maximise your chances

They suggest you phone the day before after the ballot is drawn to find out how many two and three balls there are that you might join in with.

They say it happens a lot, but they guarantee nothing!

Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:18 PM
Original Poster

Jinx-Well, they're really cutting it close. They're going in late May. My dad emailed some of the guesthouses in St. Andrews (and the one Janis recommended in Crail) today to check on availability.

Almcd-Sheila's right. I don't think rain will stop this group! They're very excited to be going to Scotland, and don't know when they'll be back, so they're going to play at all costs (or in any weather!)

Sheila--Thanks for detailed info. about playing the old course. I had read (from other posts on this board) that you could walk the old course, just as long as you stayed out of the way of the golfers. Is this incorrect?
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 05:35 PM

Sheila meant one cannot do a "walk on" as a golfer. But anyone can walk the course - w/ obvious care of course.

And if they are in the area on a Sunday - there is no play on the Old Course on Sundays and it essentially becomes a huge city park. Lots of walkers, dogs, kids - a great way to see the whole course if they don't manage to play it.
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 08:37 PM

Here is the straight skinny on the Old
Course. The Open will be held on the Old 14-17 July. The course will be closed to play from 20 June to 20 July. That does not affect your dad's group. But if they want to play the Old, they will have to play off astroturf mats (small ones you carry with you)--this protects the turf in preparation for the Open. And the green fee for the Old in 2005 is 115 pounds--roughly $220.

My suggestion would be to go to St. Andrews--play the other courses I mentioned--have a great time in the "auld gray toon"--and possibly get in a round on the Old (either by the ballot or getting worked on by the starter). I will be there on 2 June. Let me know if your dad will still be there. Maybe we can enter the ballot together.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 13th, 2005, 11:59 PM

Thanks for the update on the green fees, Jinx.

Do I assume from what your saying that they're meaning to be there late May, early June?
Old Mar 14th, 2005, 05:27 AM

Isn't it true that one has to reserve tee-times on any of the St. Andrews' courses? And, as part of that reservation, send in your real Handicap?

Old Mar 14th, 2005, 06:20 AM

Suzie,
Yes, one may reserve a tee time on any of the St. Andrews courses. However, it has been my experience that you can get on any of the courses (except the Old) simply by walking up. Unless there is a competition on that course, the starter will get you off ASAP.

Yes, you do need a letter of introduction from your home course that also attests your current handicap. This holds true for any courses in the U.K. and Ireland. It often is not asked for---but you need it just the same.

Cheers,

Jinx Hoover
Old Mar 15th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

Jinx-Actually they're going earlier in May than I had thought--I think he said May 8th or 9th, (I guess I didn't get my planning genes from him! I would have never waited this long to find a hotel!) so unfortunately, they miss you by a few weeks. My dad was disappointed to miss you. That would have been fun--next time (He's says this is a one-time thing, but I think he'll probably be back!)

I think he's written to hotels/B&B's around St. Andrews (he really likes the look of The Old Station, so that's still a contender), but he's obsessively reading reviews (feeling the pressure of making reservations for other people!). I'll keep you posted! Thanks so much.