Budget for Paris trip?

Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:09 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Budget for Paris trip?

My husband and I are leaving for Paris on 7/28 for 7 nights. We're staying at the Hotel Cayre in the 7eme. I'm trying to figure out how much money we need to bring, or actually, have available in our ATM as I know we shouldn't bring cash or TCs (I've been researching). Our flight, hotel and airport transfers are paid for, and what we want to do is see Paris, museums, Versailles, maybe Normandy or Giverny, and just get to know Paris. I'd also like to experience some nightlife or shows or some evening fun. Any recommendations?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:48 PM

Do you plan to use your kitchen or dine out? With care and research, you can dine out quite well, with wine and coffee, for 30 euros each for lunch and 50 euros each for dinner, or 160 euros total per day. It can be done for less. Or for a lot more.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

We plan on eating out - the hotel room does not have a kitchen. We like to eat good food, although it doesn't have to be every meal. We've been known to have a light lunch and a fancier dinner, again, not necessarily every night!
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:53 PM

Sorry about the reference to a "kitchen." My mind was elsewhere. Since you have only one week, I'd suggest a single trip out of town. "Giverny or Normandy" rather than Versailles, if it were me.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 08:57 PM
Original Poster

Could we do Versailles in 1/2 day and allow us time to see and do more in Paris that day?
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:05 PM

No doubt you'll be getting a lot of very good advice from savvy Paris hands. I believe the figures I tossed out are reasonable. For a bit more, less than 200 euros, you could even have a three-star experience, the fixed-price 70-euro lunch at Taillevent, for example, http://www.taillevent.com/restaurant/menu3.html
with a glass of wine each, and omlettes for dinner.
Old Jun 28th, 2005, 09:15 PM

You can visit Versailles in half a day. It's just a matter of pace and taste, of your tolerance of crowds and the hundreds of wonderful things to see and do in Paris.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:50 AM

Since you didn't say what range your "budget" is I'll just step in to say that you can do Paris for far less than Dave's suggestion (as he even said). Paris has an abundance of wonderful street/picnic food and fabulous parks to eat it in. I know most people don't like my style of travel eating, but just so you know what is possible - I frequently spend less than 30€ for a whole day for food in Paris (three meals). And I think I eat very well - but of course "well" is totally subjective.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:26 AM

isabel:

Can you share tips/specifics of your daily food? Thanks very much.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 04:38 AM

I agree, Isabel. You can buy a loaf of bread from one of the best bakers in in the world, and a portion of one or two of the world's most wonderful cheeses, and make a memorable meal of it -- perhaps with a bit of "salad" from a traiteur, for 7 or 8 euros a person. And a good caviste can steer you to some mighty nice wine for 12 or 15 euros a bottle.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:02 AM

We normally eat breakfast at a cafe - about E8 per person - find street food or picnic food for lunch - about E5 or 6 per person and eat in a nice restaurant or bistro for dinner - About E40 per person for dinner including wine. You can eat well for E50 - 55 per person. Of course, that doesn't count the many times you will want to stop for a pastry or a kir or some Berthillon ice cream. Paris is a foodie's dream come true!
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:37 AM

The Madeleine church offers a daily lunch for about 8 euros if I recall correctly. I plan to check it out in about a week. And just to "even things out", I'm also dining at L'Espadon one night.

One of many wonderful things about Paris is that she has almost limitless restaurants, bistros, cafes, food stands, etc to suit almost anyone's appetite, taste, and/or budget.

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 05:54 AM

As you can tell from the above posts - you can spend as much or as little as you want on meals. And if you do want a splurge restaurant - you can go for lunch instead of dinner and spend less.

I've had €80 lunches and €5 lunches - and enjoyed them both.

For evening fun - I just like walking around gawking at the beautiful sights, stopping in cafes, taking a trip on the Seine.

Day trips will increase your costs but you could do one of them (Giverny or Normandy). Versailles is a good trip -But don't rush it to squeeze it into a certain number of hours. It is vast and you can spend a LOT of time there.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 06:01 AM

My husband and I are going for a week in September, and in Paris, we buy the Museum Pass and the Carte Orange for the metro. Once that's over with, we basically just need money for food and and extras. Since we're budget travellers, we tend to stick around $100-$150/day including hotel per person. For a week, that means having at least $2,000 available to us, and keep another $1000 for incidentals, special meals etc.

We usually split that into our two accounts, so each of us has access to the cash, and if anyone loses their ATM card, we can at least make it for a while before having to use our VISA card.

Happy travels,

Jules
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 11:01 AM

Just a quick suggestion about Versailles - try to go when the fountains are on (which is, I believe, Saturday or Sunday). When I was there I found it nice, but a it was really the fountain displays, which were quite spectualar, that made the crowds and time spent there all worthwhile.

When we were there, I think we spent ~5 euro per person per day on picnic lunches (bread, cheese, fruit, veggies all from local markets), and averaged spent between 150-200 euro for dinner for four. (But usually on the cheaper side of that - there are lots of creperies, cafes, brassieres, and so on where a fine meal can be had for not a lot).

For things to do at night, there was a thread a little while ago with some suggestions. Click on my name, I posted on the thread, you should see it.
Old Jun 29th, 2005, 02:38 PM
Original Poster

Jules, I'm assuming the $2000 you are referring to is outside of hotel and air correct?

We are not opposed to light, picnic like lunches, but we also like a great meal with a nice bottle of wine, so we're looking for variety.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas, please keep them coming!

Old Jun 29th, 2005, 03:16 PM

dwzemens - to answer your question: breakfast I found the Brioche Doree (might be spelled wrong) chain was a great deal. They had a "morning special" for about 3€ which included coffee, juice and two croissants. It's a chain and they are all over Paris. They have a web site in case you want to scope out the locations ahead of time. On one of my trips there was a little shop across from my hotel where I had breakfast every day (same price but no juice and only one croissant).

For lunches we usually have picnics or buy a pannini or baguette sandwich and eat it in a park. As far as I'm concerned there is no better activity than eating a fresh baguette with ham and butter followed by a pastry in the beauty of a Paris park.

For dinner there are plenty of lower priced restaurants. The food is certainly not fantastic or memorable, but it's not bad. There are alot of these in the 5th near Place St Michele. Very touristy though if that bothers you. But if you look around there are plenty of cafes/small restaurants that serve fixed price dinners for 10-15€ which include two or three courses (wine would be extra). Often times they will have several "menus", say 10, 12, 15 and 20€. Then around 7:30 or so they take down the least expensive one. I guess it's kind of an early bird special type deal. Most Paris restaurants have their menus, fixed price and regular, posted so you can see the choices and prices before you go in. There's also lots of good ethnic food in Paris (Greek, Vietnamese, Chinese, etc) and those are quite reasonably priced too.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 02:29 PM

Take 2 different Credit/Debit Cards. We found that each would work sometimes, but not all of the time. Sometimes, it was the ATM machine, sometimes the card--go figure. Very few people--and no banks--took TC's, so you are smart not to take them. The exchange offices charged about 18 percent to cash them. We finally went to the Amex office off Opera and stood in line to cash them for free. Take them in case of emergency only.
A normal dinner for 4 costs about 100E without wine. This is not at expensive places. However, sandwiches are about 5E and plat de jour's run anywhere from 5-25E--most around 10-15--and have lots of food. We went to the Latin Qtr (Mouffard?) and found excellent, cheap greek eats for 5E. We had salad, beef bourg., dessert for 15E on Isle St. Louis. And, we had tea and brunch at Mariage Frères (Rue Bourg/Tibourg) for 40E each. Paris eats are as cheap or expensive as you wish.
Old Jun 30th, 2005, 03:03 PM

2girls -- The plane tickets are paid for, but actually the $2,000 includes paying for our our hotel for 7 nights at $87 Euro (approximately $100/night).

For the rest, we can easily get away with less than $200 a day in cash per day for the rest of the incidentals, museums and dinners. We are taking an extra grand just in case we decide to go crazy.

Jules