budget for Paris

Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
budget for Paris

my fiancé and I are travelling to Europe and hoping to go in June 2014. I know this is the most expensive time of year but it is the only time we can go due to study breaks and we don't want to go in winter.
I am wondering how much roughly should we budget for 3 nights/ 4 days in Paris? I've put the main things into categories.
SIGHTS: We want to see some of the main sites and do some of the main things like climb the Eiffel tower, go into the Louvre etc as well as spend a day at Versailles which is a must do for me!
ACCOM: we were thinking of just staying in a hostel to keep the cost down as much as possible. as long as the hostel is not something from a nightmare than we are all good with something pretty basic.
FOOD: When it comes to food we don't want to be eating huge meals all day, but we do want to be able to get in on the amazing French food but on a budget if possible.
TRANSPORT: when it comes to transport I have looked on the lonely planet website and it says that you can walk or bicycle around for the most part which we are more than happy to do, so if this is the case transport shouldn't cost much if anything except for going to Versailles
not sure about this but a friend who is going to Europe this year said that you can get an international student identity card which gives you discounts on this but im not sure although I do know we can both get them as we are both 20 and students.
so basically, how much would it cost for 3 nights/ 4 days in Paris including hostel accommodation, sight seeing, food and transport with all of above taken into consideration?
thanks
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM

You can check the sightseeing costs on the sight web site. You know what you want to see so it's easy for you to do this.

Hostels are about E25 to E30 for a shared room. You can also check the pricing on hostel beds by going to hostelworld.com or the International Youth Hostel web site. There are some inexpensive hotels in Paris that would be as cheap as a hostel and give you a double room with bath.

Food is a variety of prices, just like any place else. You can spend little if you pick up supplies in supermarkets, avoid soft drinks, refill your water bottles from the tap. Sitting outside in a cafe is more expensive than sitting inside.

Generally, eating close to major sights will be more expensive. If you walk a few blocks away from the touristy areas the prices will be cheaper. Crepe stands offer filling crepes at low prices. Rather than ordering dessert in a restaurant, pick up some yummy pastries in a pastry shop. They will be expensive but not as expensive as having them served at your table. Again, if you take the food out it will be cheaper.

Your best bet is to get a copy of Let's Go Paris which offers lots of budget travel advise. I've been using them for years and find them very helpful.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 03:48 PM

I think you will get better answers on the Thorn Tree section of the Lonely Planet website - there you will find a lot mor eyuonger people who are trying to operate ona tiny budget. They will have all the tips of cheap places.

Hoever, a couple of notes:

For sights - sinply go to the website of each and it will list the exact price for this year - next - who knows

Paris is a sizable city and sights are spread out - so youmay need to use the Metro at times. Also if your hostel isn;t very central you may need to use the Metro to get you into the center of town.

Yes, you can see a lot walking - and we often do 8 miles or more daily - but at a certain point you will want to sit down rther than walk another 2 or 3 miles.

And be sure you have 2 pair of well-broken in sturdy walking shoes - if the first pair gets really wet you don't have to wear them the next day.

As for food - can't help at all - this isn't out price point.
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 04:08 PM

For lunch one day in January, DH and I found a shop advertising lunch for about 6€. We shared a baguette filled with chicken salad, a drink, and a pastry. You can find creperies all over the city - fill one with ham, cheese and salad. It is simple, amazing, and cheap!
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 04:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks nytraveler i will look at that site and thanks for the advice on public transport and walk. Thanks allisonm that sounds yummy! if there are heaps of places like that we will be perfectly fine for breakfast and lunch!
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 05:15 PM

Well I guess you didn't like my advice which was similar to nytraveler and allisonm. Oh well...
Old Mar 13th, 2013, 06:08 PM
Original Poster

oh oops i didn't see it lol i scrolled down too fast and i couldn't see it haha thank you for the website I had a look and it was really helpful to give me some price ideas, ill see if i can find lets go Paris but I have never seen it before
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 04:09 AM

To add to what Allison M. said about a shop offering a lunch for 6 euros, I found many, many patisseries offering lunch for 8 euros or less that consisted of a fresh, pre-made sandwich, a pastry, and a non-alcoholic beverage. You can also buy individual size quiches at many patisseries which make an excellent quick lunch.
Old Mar 14th, 2013, 04:38 AM

If you are looking for Hotels Traveler | VIP is the best site that i have so far come across since i started visiting Europe they come up with amazing packages and special offers time and again.
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 12:33 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much guys I'm so excited to go! The infomation you have all given has been so helpful and we have made a rough budget for that part of our trip
Old Mar 18th, 2013, 02:40 AM
ira

Hi m,

For metro tickets, buy the discounted "carte" of 10. That will give each of you 5 rides.