COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Budget Accommodation in Vienna

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 07:27 AM
Milena

Budget Accommodation in Vienna

Hi, Can someone recommend a nice, safe, cheap hotel in Vienna, close to public transportation. Two people are traveling second half of June.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 07:50 AM
Ira

Hi Milena,
How cheap is 'cheap'?
I liked the Karntnerhof (abt 150E dbl w/bkfst)

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 08:27 AM
julie

Four years ago my daughter studied in Vienna for a semester. When we visited, her landlord recommended a hotel that is run by a local order of nuns to support their order. I know we paid under $50 a night. It was clean and comfortable and had a provate bath and we always walked into the city center (it was outside the ring). But, no one spoke English if that is of concern to you. We'd definitely stay there again. If you are interested, let me know and I'll dig around and find the info.

Old Jan 19th, 2003, 11:09 AM
Nick

Met 2 people from Melbourne staying at Wombats hostel at Westbahnhof last week. They said it was pretty good. I hate the Westbahnhof area but if on a very tight budget, frankly you will not get anything for less than 90 euro in the centre and Westbahnhof is the biggest station and 10 minutes to centre so it is convenient. If you like rather chintzy dated style these pensions in the centre may satisfy. For example, I have just checked out Pension Nossek which gets very good reviews and thought it was rather smelly, they could only show me the as they described "not typical" single room (very small bed)for 60 euro - it was crap, but cheap for the centre. They did say it was more for students. I am looking around still for a room for my mum, so tell me your budget and I shall give you some further comments with that in mind. (Checked out this week in total about 6 hotels).

Old Jan 22nd, 2003, 08:21 AM
jack

last may we stayed at the hotel admiral.It is about 2 blocks outside the center and 10 blocks from RR station West Bahnhof.It was 95 euros with breakfast.It is a nice clean place and the people were very friendly and helpful.www.admiral.co.at [email protected]

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 01:43 AM
mimi

check Eurocheapo.com

Old Jan 26th, 2003, 02:05 AM
Rick

We stayed at Pension Nossek for five days last summer. You can't beat the location. Found it to be very clean and bright with a large double room for 85E. Breakfast was good and the manager went out of her way to provide city info and reservations. We would stay again.

Old Jan 27th, 2003, 06:33 AM

This message is for Julie who replied to this request. I would be very interested in obtaining information on the hotel run by nuns in Vienna. My sister-in-law has stayed in a similar establishment in paris and raves about what a good deal it is. I am planning to be in Vienna sometime in May and would like to explore this possibility further. Any information you can provide will be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance.
Old Jan 28th, 2003, 10:58 AM

I can also recommend the Admiral Hotel. We've stayed there on two separate occasions. It is especially good for those who have a car as the hotel has several parking spaces for guests about 1/2 block from the hotel. But is is just a short walk to the Ringstrasse and buses, trams and the Ubahn.
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 12:23 AM

Try the Fuerstenhof it is right across the square at Westbahnhof. It has a wonderful old glassed in elevator. You receive a huge breakfast buffet in a wonderful old dining room included in the room price. It is pretty reasonable
and the staff very helpful. Check their site:
http://hotel-fuerstenhof.com/index2.htm
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 02:03 PM

Aljo--

Just saw this post again. Here is the info on the place that is run by the nuns. The building itself is a rather plain looking modern building both inside and out. The place was really really quiet both during the day and the night. Our room was rather austere, but spotless. It had 2 twin beds and a dresser and a chair or 2. There was an en-suite bathroom that was separated from the bedroom by another door (so the room was like 2 compartments). We had a tiny tiny balcony. No tv and no phone. Breakfasts (included) were the typical northern European fare. I remember the train stop was about 2 blocks away because we took the schnellbahn in from the airport. We walked everywhere. If you are not looking for luxury or an English speaking concierge desk this is a find.

Stephanhaus 0222 717 03 (sorry I don't have the address)
Old Feb 6th, 2003, 03:09 PM

The pension Neurmarkt (in the square Neumarkt) is hard to beat. Only one block from St Stephens and excellent value.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 05:30 AM

Still no word from Milena which would at least give idea of budget but seeing comment re: Neuer Markt and checking out about 15 hotels in past month, have to say Neuer Markt is absolutely at the bottom of my list for room quality. Great location, but rooms are old and dated. If you like the pink chintz imperial look - maybe but Pertschy is much better quality for that style. Could not believe the corridor walls at Neuer MArkt - these awful formica like sheets (2metres by 1) stuck in metal frames - this in a beautiful old building. Yuk! Only way I would pick Neuer Markt is if budget was totally restricted (one of cheapest places in centre) and location was vital.
For total value, we picked Starlight Suites - 100euro for bedroom and lounge (rack rate 165), see www.starlighthotels.com (but not great photos). Renngasse is bets of 3 locations.
Old Feb 7th, 2003, 06:00 PM
JN

Would never recommend the Kartnerhof:
1. Cluttered, dark, not very clean room
2. Very unpleasant mangager--unnecessarily rude and not helpful at all
3. Noisy disco across th road (summer 2000)--music till all hours

I'd suggest the Wandl or Post--near St Stephans.
Old Mar 5th, 2003, 04:13 PM

I would recommend two hotels in Vienna which fit your criteria. One is the Hotelpension Arenberg. It is a 4* Best Western but with posh Vienna feel and homemade muslei for breakfast. It is located within the Ring, about 2 minute walk to UBahn, 3 minutes to Air Terminal (where buses come in from Airport) and about 5 minutes to Stephensplatz.
The other is Hotel Drei Kronen. It is a 3* small hotel which is just outside the Ring, with a very good buffet breakfast. It has a nice outdoor market and grocery in next block. You are about a 3 minute walk to UBahn and 8 minutes to the Opera.
Old Mar 7th, 2003, 11:47 PM

I looked at a cheap hotel on Ottakringer Str. A single was 55 Euros and a double was 70 Euros. The rooms are small with two single beds and the toilet and shower are seperate. Hotel has a bar, restaurant and SMALL indoor pool. buffet breakfast included in rate. It is a 10 minute ride on tram 44 which you find on the street level of Schottengasse Station. The tram stops about 50 yards past the hotel outbound on the right hand side of the street and inbound the tram stop is directly across the street from the hotel. It appeared to be good value for money, but I'm an old guy and I eventually chose another hotel as the area appeared a little seedy.

Old Mar 8th, 2003, 07:39 AM

I see that I left off the name of the hotel. It is Hotel Mate, Ottakringer Strasse 34-36, A-1170, phone (431) 40455.