Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

BUDGET accommodation in the 5th or 6th...

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:43 PM
Julie

I will be in Paris in July and need to find a hotel that I can afford.
I'm looking for something (hopefully) under $100. I'm not picky about amenities - as long as the place is clean I can make do.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Old May 15th, 2002, 12:55 PM
elvira

Hotel Delhy, rue de l'Hirondelle (in the top photo, the archway leads onto Boulevard St Michel, about 50 yrds from the Seine)
http://www.hotelsparisonline.com/Htm...indexhotel.htm

Old May 15th, 2002, 01:56 PM
Nikki

I have stayed at the Grand Hotel des Balcons in the 6th and Familia Hotel in the 5th. Both well under $100 per night. The Familia quoted a rate of around $100 for two people, but that included breakfast, which we weren't charged for on the days we didn't want it. Both were fine, in great locations.

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:34 PM
Julie

One more question - what are your opinions on the Montparnasse and Opera areas?
I know that the 5th and 6th are the most popular for travelers, but was wondering if anyone has stayed in either of the above two?

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:55 PM
carmenr

My husband and I stayed in the Montparnasse area for a week in April - Hotel Losserand Montparnasse. The hotel was great! We were two buildings from the Pernetty metro station, a few blocks from Avenue du Maine and 15 minute walk from Montparnasse train station. Very nice working neighborhood, cheap eats. Would do it again.

Old May 15th, 2002, 02:57 PM
carmenr

Sorry, I meant to say working class neighborhood. Price was around 100 Euros and is a 3 star hotel.

Old May 15th, 2002, 04:24 PM
travelingal

I too am looking for budget accomo in Paris, but around 60-70 dollars (if that is even possible).
I don't mind shared bathrooms, no AC, etc. Anything that isn't a hostel is okay by me...
Any input is greatly appreciated!

Old May 15th, 2002, 05:09 PM
Sue

La Motte Picquet in the 7th (Metro Ecole Militaire) is very popular on this site and a favorite of one of my friends. Doubles with facilities in room start at 70E. Even cheaper with outside WC. See it at

http://www.france-hotel-guide.com/h7...ttepicquet.htm

Old May 15th, 2002, 06:27 PM
Paris

Look at this hotel, Hotel De Nestle. I previewed it last March. Very clean, charming, BUDGET!! hOTELDENESTLE.COM

Old May 15th, 2002, 07:30 PM
travelingal

Paris - I tried your address and it didn't work, and I did a search on the net but still couldn't find the hotel...

Old May 16th, 2002, 01:44 AM
Peg

The website mentioned above should be hoteldenesle.com. No T in the name. It's a funky, cute place in a great location but they previously did not take reservations, you just had to show up and take your chances. Maybe they do now with this website because they now have e-mail.

Old May 16th, 2002, 02:32 AM
Ruth

We stayed at the Hotel des Mines in Jan in a triple room for well under 100 euros per night. Nothing special, but convenient location on the Bvd St Michel, clean and fairly spacious.

Old May 16th, 2002, 09:26 AM
robdaddy

Julie and Travelin' Gal: A year ago this month, we stayed in the 7th at the Mars Hotel (don't be confused...there is also a Hotel du Champs de Mars in the same area, which has it's fans) Anyway, the Mars is less than 2 blocks from the Ecole Militaire Metro stop (line 8) is near rue Cler, Invalides, Eiffel Tower. Rooms were okay size by Paris standards, and very clean. Prices may be up a bit since then due to conversion to Euro and normal inflation, but in May '01, we only paid $65/night for a double. Ask for an upper story room at the front of the bldg. Fax: 01 47 05 45 91 Caution: like some of the others you mentioned, the Mars is a 2-star hotel which means (not always, but usually) no air conditioning, which may be a factor for you in July. Have a great trip...I'm jealous. Rob