Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Hotel for young travelers--Latin Quarter?

Old Apr 28th, 2003, 11:25 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My daughter and her friend will be staying in Paris for 5 nights in mid-July. They are young females (age 20.) Her friend (she lives in Germany) is pregnant so she can't really tolerate the noisy, shared-bath, bunkbed, lax housekeeping standards youth hostel scene, LOL. My daughter will already have been hosteling thru Europe and is meeting her friend for the last 5 days of her trip. I want to splurge and treat these lifelong pals to a relatively nice place in Paris for their mini-reunion.

Is the Latin Quarter the place for travelers their age? How about St Germain?

I'd like to spend up $100-125 a night for a room, need private bath. And a/c if that is possible. Can spend more, but would like to keep it in the moderate category; they do not need the Ritz but they needs someplace safe, clean, convenient, friendly in an interesting Parisienne neighborhood. Guess I am looking for charm and memories...

Have read extensive reviews on Fodors and in Let's Go. When I have found something appealing and tried to book it, it's already full! I am getting frustrated!

Thanks for anybody's advice, I am sure it is wearisome to have posters keep asking about hotels hotels hotels.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 12:20 AM
AllyPally

I've heard Hotel Du Dragon in 6e is very nice and very affordable...

Old Apr 29th, 2003, 02:13 AM

We stayed in the Timhotel chain. We were in the Latin Quarter across from the Jardin de Plants. Quiet neightborhood and very safe. One block to the Jussieu Metro station. It had 2 metros there, the number 7 went to many of the places to visit so not much transfering.
There is another Timhotel about four blocks away and that was on Monge street. Place Monge metro stop close and a nice area for buying food, groceries, bakery etc. Monge is a busier street, but nearer all the resturants on Rue Mouffetard.
Our double was $112 with all taxes and breakfast included ( breakfast was a buffet and cost about 11 Euros) We would probably not take breakfast if we wanted to save money.
Old Apr 29th, 2003, 04:20 AM
ira

Hi Vivi,

You might want to look at the Hotel Bonaparte in the 6th.

Go to
http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...2&tid=34415371

for a discussion.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:26 AM

Hi!
A very nice place for students: stella hotel ( near Sorbonne and Luxemburg garden)
http://site.voila.fr/hotel_stella
not expansive
Old May 1st, 2003, 09:38 AM

All hotels at that level should have a private bath, and I can't think of any hotel in that area I'd consider unsafe. It's the AC that is going to limit the choices at that price range, although I can understand wanting it in July. I think the Latin Quarter would be fine, of course, St Germain, also, but not much available there at that rate, espec with AC (I think the Bonaparte may be about it, or the Clement).

You might consider the HOtel Europe St Severin, as it's in your price range and in a convenient and popular Latin Qtr area. Their web site doesn's discuss amenities so much, but I've read all rooms have AC, but you should inquire by email to make sure
http://www.hotel-paris-severin.com/

The Hotel Jardins du Luxembourg is liked by a lot, a great location, and just a bit over your range (more like 135), but does have AC.
http://www.pariserve.tm.fr/hotel/jar...rg/english.htm

Hotel Claude Bernard is another is a good Latin Qtr location, with AC, you can view on www.123france.com They have discounts in August but maybe not mid-July. Probably also 125+

I think it might be useful to others so that people don't post useless info if you stated the ones you've tried that are all booked.
Old May 1st, 2003, 10:57 AM

Vivi-I agree with Christina(above) about the Parc Saint Severin hotel, in the Latin Quarter ; however it is on a lound busy corner, and can get very noisey at night, so be sure to reserve a room on a high floor that does not face the street.
Viva la France
Fluffy
Old May 1st, 2003, 12:14 PM

We found the rooms, staff and location of the Select Hotel at 1 Place de la Sorbonne very pleasant.

No noise disturbance at night and good size rooms with comfortable beds.

Kavey
Old May 1st, 2003, 01:38 PM

I like the hotel St. Paul. It is on a quiet side street close to the 5th and the restaurant next door is great.
Old May 1st, 2003, 06:44 PM

Hotel Monge on rue Monge also sounds like it might meet their needs--plus it has air conditioning, which would be important to me if I was pregnant.

I think you can access the Hotel Monge through www.france-hotel-guide.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:25 PM

Just to clarify there were suggestions of two hotels with similar names. However, they are a bit different. The Hotel Europe St. Severin should not be confused with Hotel Parc St. Severin. Both are located in the Latin Qtr. but Hotel the Hotel Parc St. Severin has been written up as a charming hotel; the pictures of Hotel Europe St. Severin, while good, does not look that charming.
Old May 1st, 2003, 08:39 PM
tpl

You could also try renting a flat for their stay -- your money might go further, and they would have a little more space. One website I've used is vrbo.com

Good luck!
Old May 4th, 2003, 06:52 AM

Saint Paul ( in the latin quarter )is not recommanded : The rooms are small, the street is noisy and ... I heard : There is mouses !!!
Old May 5th, 2003, 03:25 AM

I'm somewhat surprised that no one has mentioned (or at least unless I missed it!),,,the Hotel St. Andre des Arts on Rue St. Andre des Arts. Its always been full of young people as best I can recollect, and while its certainly not "luxury" I think it might fit the bill for you.

It's not going to be "quiet" but I don't remember it being "hostel-like". Hope that's of help, and wish them a great trip! Best wishes, Dave
Old May 5th, 2003, 11:00 AM

Personally, I don't think the Parc Saint Severin is any more charming than the Europe Saint Severin. In fact, I think the rooms at the Europe look more charming than the Parc. I thought it was a little cheaper than the Parc SS, but they are about the same price. They are both very near each other, so noise and street traffic will be the same in that regard. The Europe is officially a 2*, and the Parc a 3*, so that might show up somewhere (not apparent from online photos, but they are always the best views).

Here's the URL of the one I was referring to:
http://www.hotel-paris-severin.com/
It's also on digital france which has customer comments, a good resource:
http://digital.france.com/hotels/hot...l?HotelID=9512

Here's the Parc SS
http://www.lodging-france.com/paris/...st-severin.htm

I think they both would be fine, actually. I think no one mention St-Andres-des-Arts because it's only a 1-star real budget hotel, and wouldn't have AC. I have heard it referred to as hostel-like in several ways.
Old May 5th, 2003, 02:26 PM

If I were 20 (again! LOL!), I think I would want to be in the Marais (4th). It was full of young people, trendy shops and funky little restaurants.

Haven't stayed in the 4th personally, so I can't recommend a hotel. (Hotel de Jeanne d'Arc is very popular on these forums.) But you might want to search on "Marais hotels".
Old May 6th, 2003, 09:45 PM

Another popular and affordable hotel in the 4th district is Hotel Place des Vosges on rue Birague down the street from the Place des Vosges. The rooms are on the small side but the top floor room #60 is the largest & most expensive. The hotel doesn't have a website but has an email address if you're interested:
[email protected]
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:13 PM
Original Poster

AUGH! The choices of hotels in Paris is overwhelming!

I sent a few e-mails (in French! Using the AOL translator!) to some of the above-mentioned hotels.

THANK YOU EVERYBODY for your advice, it is much appreciated.
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:20 PM

dear vivi, i was in paris about a month ago, and stayed in novotel on les halles...the reason i mention it is because there's a lot of young people and nightlife, it's about 100 feet from the underground mall and 10 blocks from the louvre...you can walk anywhere and food and shopping is really close by. it's a business hotel; basically the equivalent of a marriot...also, the morning breakfast is super. we've stayed in some of the nicer parisian hotels, but this was really great because of the location. good luck!
Old May 8th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Novotel hotels are not charming. Since Vivi's daughter and friend will be in Paris in mid-July many hotels have very good discounts so why not get a charming hotel for a good rate instead of a Novotel.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -