Reload this Page >

Budapest: What to sell/What to buy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 05:26 AM
Carolee

Question #1 - Can anyone tell me what -if anything- might be something I could bring over to Budapest from the U.S. to sell and thereby recoup some expenses for my travel there? I know of someone who brought a Dell computer and a suitcase full of new Levis jeans on their trip to Sweden and sold them all for a decent profit. What kinds of things are hard to obtain, in demand, or overpriced in Hungary?<BR><BR>Question #2 - What nice things should I keep an eye out for while I am there to bring back (just for my own enjoyment) from a trip to Hungary?<BR><BR>Thanks!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 06:00 AM
Rod

#1 there is nothing that is all that hard to obtain there, or "overpriced" to the extent that you should plan on profit from casual importing. Actually, what you suggest, and what the traveller to Sweden appears to have done, seems designed to profit by evading taxes and duties and thus seems illegal. Certainly, it is not worth the effort or the risks.<BR><BR>#2 It all depends on your interests. Embroidered items -- tablecloths and the like especially -- are often well worthwhile. Also some china.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:33 AM
anon

Carolee - if you can't pay for your trip without exploiting someone else's situation maybe you shouldn't go. You sound like a creep.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:41 AM
sally

amen to the "creep" comment!!!!!!!!!!!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 09:49 AM
Barry

Just back from there and totally agree with Rod ... there doesn't appear to be anything in "short supply" there... the city was as well equipped as any other European large city. Very fashionable and up to date.<BR><BR>I was in Sweden last July and the comment on selling things to the Swedes seems very suspect to me.<BR><BR>However, if this is a real question....<BR><BR>At the Great Market hall... on the upper level on the left hand side... there was a shop selling Bohemian crystal at prices cheaper than we later found in Prague! Wish I had bought it in Budapest instead of waiting!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 10:36 AM
Bob

The funniest thing I saw in the Great Hall shopping while there in October 2000 was the Bill Clinton doll. <BR><BR>It was done in the style of the Russian dolls where you open the doll and another smaller doll is inside and then you open that and another doll is inside that one and so on. <BR><BR>The Bill Clinton doll started with Bill then went to Paula Jones then Monica Lewinsky and then Jennifer Flowers and ended with a tiny tiny doll of Hillary. I shold have bought one. Guy only wanted around $15 asking price. Our ex-Pres has em laughing in Hungary!

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 11:07 AM
Leslie

Bob, actually the last doll in that series of Clinton marushka dolls is a cigar.<BR><BR>Carolee, I cannot think of anything worth bringing to Budapest to sell. The population ranges from the extremely wealthy to the extremely poor, and besides, where would you sell the items you are bringing over except to a merchant. Also, there are at least 3 Tesco's in Budapest, which is basically like a Walmart.<BR><BR>Besides embroidered linens, paprika, dried salamis, pottery, wines, apricot brandy, goose liver, decorative eggs, cookbooks, chocolates, and crystal, the prices are most favorable for Western Europeans and Americans to purchase all brands of European leather shoes and leather handbags.<BR><BR>Besides shopping in the Great Market, there are many nice shops on Vaci Utca, and the shop, Luxus (Luxury) has some very pretty items.

Old Apr 2nd, 2002, 01:36 PM
Barry

Hey Leslie and Bob -<BR><BR>Saw that same Clinton nesting doll in St. Petersburg, Russia July 2001 .... just about fell on the ground laughing gt<BR><BR>Barry

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 07:50 AM
Carolee

Thanks to those of you who provided good insight on my questions. I will keep my eyes peeled for the Clinton doll, and the wonderful list of suggestions provided by Leslie. As for "anonymous" - you seem to get off on slamming everyone's simple inquiries. I can see why you don't want to attach your name to anything you say, because you don't seem to have anything WORTHWHILE to say. Perhaps you should refrain from writing back to people unless you plan to be helpful by doing so.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 08:30 AM
anon

Carolee - you are looking for an opportunity to gouge other people for your own profit. You are a low life. You give Americans a bad name.<BR><BR>As for names - what's to say your name is really Carolee.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 11:35 AM
Rod

A note on possible purchases ...<BR>Dried salami can be excellent -- Pick being probably the best known -- BUT bringing the salami into the US is illegal as it is not a cooked food per US standards. I ate it there regularly without ill effect, but checked on one trip before trying to bring one later (a gift, in fact), and was told sorry, no.

Old Apr 3rd, 2002, 12:19 PM
Leslie

Actually, I checked with both Customs and Immigration and Pick and Herz salamis from Hungary are allowed to be brought into the US for personal use.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 04:47 AM
Rod

OK ... you got a different inspector. To resolve this (and find out if on my next trip I could bring a salami) I just checked the US Customs web site and got:<BR>"The regulations governing meat and meat products are very strict: you may not bring back fresh, dried, or canned meats or meat products from most foreign countries. Also, you may not bring in food products that have been prepared with meat. <BR><BR>The regulations on importing meat and meat products change frequently because they are based on disease outbreaks in different areas of the world. APHIS, which regulates meats and meat products as well as fruits and vegetables, invites you to call for more information on importing meats. Contact USDA-APHIS Veterinary Services National Center for Import/Export (NCIE), 4700 River Road, Unit 40, Riverdale, MD 20737-1231; call (301) 734-7830; or visit: www.aphis.usda.gov/ncie. <BR><BR>

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:47 AM
Leslie

Rod, as an FYI both Herz and Pick salamis along with cans of goose liver are sold in the Duty Free Shop at Rudzyne Airport in Budapest. Besides previously checking with Customs before I left the US about bringing these items back to the US, I also checked at the Duty Free Shop. Although I believe your information is accurate, I think that Customs makes its determination by specific origin, and therefore, the rules may vary. I declared these items on the Customs form when I entered the US, and the Customs Officer didn't even blink.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 08:22 AM
Salami Lover

So, which salami is better - Pick or Herz? In case I don't have the opportunity to sample both.

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 05:47 PM
Alice the Magyar

I was told by one inspecters in Hungary it was fine to bring their salami to America. But When I got to Boston, it was taken from me! And I bought it at a duty free shop at the airport in Hungary last June. The inspecters at Logan showed the list too. It is not allowed, and has not been allowed for many years. Yet Hard chesse is allowed! Not fair!! I should have listened to my family here, they all told me don't try to bring it home with you, it will be taken from you. Alice

Old Apr 4th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Leslie

Both brands are very similar, however, Pick is said to be the superior brand, and, it is slightly more expensive, not by much though. I actually can't tell the difference between the 2 brands. By the way, I carried six of them through Customs and Immigration in Boston.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 03:50 AM
Alice The Magyar

It could have been because of mad cow disease that I was not allowed to bring it back last year then. There were so many smelling dogs too!! Those Beagles ones.

Old Apr 5th, 2002, 05:27 AM
Rod

Leslie,<BR>You obviously had different luck than Alice, whose experience was consistent with what I was told. At least the neither is inconsistent with the official advice that the rules change often!<BR>I'd never take the word of the seller as to what was permitted by another country, especially when you were unlikely to see the seller again. Their incentives are not to avoid a sale, and you can hardly expect them to know the rules of a hundred different countries.<BR>In any event, I toured the Pick production facilities (it was the company that gave me the gift salami), and can attest that it is made in a traditional way, and is quite good. I think it is the superior product. I'd also note that there is more than one variety made by each company -- it's (they're) not just a salami!

Old May 2nd, 2002, 10:41 PM
david

Another surprise to me on a recent visit was the wine. Wonderful wines at very inexpensive prices. Don't know customs limits for alcohol but can be a nice reminder of your trip when you return and enjoy the pictures. I concur, great market hall has many offerings for the tourist on the second level. Bill Clinton doll was a stitch and had us (hungarian friends and US citizens rolling).