Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Budapest to Prague - fly or train? Hotel suggestions also for both?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26th, 2003, 02:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What are the options available for this route? Which airlines flythat route, what's the train schedule like, and what are the costs of each?
We also need to reserve a night or two hotel in each city - any recommendations in nice safe areas?
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 05:58 PM
ec

We went to Prague & Budapest the end of May/beg. of June, 2003. We went Prg-Vie-Bud. I did not want to go through Slovakia or is it Slovenia (I don't have a map handy) on the direct Prg to Bud route. Our sons had done that route a few years ago & in Slovakia/Slovania the ticket collectors made them pay extra for something or other. Being young (in their 20's at the time) they were intimidated & paid up. I suppose age doesn't matter when a person in authority starts telling you you need to hand over more $$$$. Because of their experience we went from Prg to Vienna and then on to Bud thus not traveling thru Slo. However, there was a recent post about a lady and her husband who had this experience on a train in Hungary.

Well, anyway... We stayed in the Marriott in both Prg & Bud. When we were in Prg there was some king of a conference going on so we were lucky to get a room in any nice hotel. The room & hotel were very nice. Many things were w/i walking distance, but it was not quite as central as I would have preferred. We didn't have to take public transportation to get to most of the sights. If you don't care to walk much, this may not be the place for you.

The Marriott in Bud was really nice. I believe every room has a view of the castle and looks right out onto the Danube. There is a lovely promenade between the hotel & the river. I would highly rec. this hotel.

You should stay at least 2 nights in each city. You mentioned you would be a night or 2. With a stay of 1 night you check in noon or later and then you have to leave the next day around 11am. That doesn't give you much time to see anything. If you are going to take the time to travel to these 2 cities you'll be wasting your $ getting there if you stay only 1 night.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:01 PM
ec

oops! Make that some KIND not "king" of a conference going on. Maybe kings were meeting - I'm not sure.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 06:46 PM

Try Czech Air. As for hotels, you can find Prague accomodations on some of these websites: www.travel.cz or www.marys.cz I have used both, and they have good choices, you can see lots of photos, descriptions, etc. Depending on how much $ you want to spend, and what section you want to stay in, you should be able to find a good place. Good luck.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:10 PM

We took the train from Prague to Budapest and it took about 8 hours but the trip didn't seem that long. We brought plenty of food and the scenery was fine. Try www.avetravel.cz or nethotels.com for good information. We stayed at Penzion Balbin in Prague and in a private home in Budapest (they do longer take lodgers). Two nights is not much for either place. Is there a reason for so short a visit? Maybe save one for another time.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 07:21 PM

Hello,
We are going to Prague and Poland the last week of October. We have reservations at the Pension Dientzenhofer, located in Mala Strana, on the same side of the river as the Prague Castle. Several people on this site recommended the Pension. The rate for a double room is 3690 czk, includes breakfast and taxes. At the current exchange rate, that is about $130. They will also pick us up at the airport for 580 czk per car. The Pension is a 16th century building, birthplace of a famous architect. The website is www.abaka.com/Czech/Dientzenhofer. Even though I haven't been to Prague yet, I agree with other travelers that 1 -2 nights doesn't seem like enough. We are staying for 4 days in Prague.
Old Aug 26th, 2003, 10:38 PM

The trains have restaurant cars and take 7 hours city centre to city centre. A plane might take four hours city centre to city centre, with the usual bus trips at each end and the usual sitting around in various places. Many Americans will find the plane trip comforting, as trains are strange to them.

The country on the way is Slovakia. I am afraid I do not know what the boys paid for, but think it might have been an express train seat supplement, or the whole fare across Slovakia if their pass did not cover that. I know you will sympathise with the conductor. Here is a young traveller with some ticketing problem, and neither side has a language in common. What is the conductor to do ? I am sorry you had he trouble of changing trains and I think changing stations in Vienna. Next time in Europe, you might like to buy the most convenient ticket a couple of days ahead, take it to your hotel receptionist, and have him check that it is the ticket you think it is.

I wonder whether the same advice applies to the lady on the train in Hungary. In ten years on trains around central Europe I have never had this sort of bother from rail staff, but then I have the advantage of using German.

[email protected]
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 05:54 AM
Original Poster

We are actually joining a 12 day uniworld cruise/tour that begins in Prague and ends in Budapest the day after we arrive in Budapest. We had to ticket our airfare roundtrip to Budapest though, so we are on our own to get to Prague. We have 2 days of touring in both cities. We are extending one day in Budapest at the end before we continue on our journey elsewhere. Thank you for all the replies so far. I'll check into Czeck airline. Any idea of costs for air vs. train??
Thank you, Babs
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 06:54 AM

Hi,
We took the overnight train from Budapest to Prague. We got our own sleeper. It was a nice expereince and you get itno Prague at about 7:00 a.m. The train left Budapest at around 10:00 p.m. We got the tickets through a German train web site. The only draw back was the passport control thorugh Sovenia.
Have fun.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:28 AM

I bring bad news. It is now years since the sleeping car train from Budapest reached Prague at 0700: it now arrives at 0533. I arrived then and there myself five weeks ago, and it is not a pleasant feeling. The other direction is much better: go to bed at Prague Hlavni about 2300, reach Budapest 0813.

[email protected]
Old Sep 1st, 2003, 07:56 AM
Original Poster

How expensive is this train ride (Budapest-Prague), assuming a private sleeper for 2 people? When should we book for a June trip? Babs
Old Sep 9th, 2003, 02:49 PM

HI,
I cannot remember the amount of the ticket. It was not inexpensive. I think it was around $200. You pay for the train ride and then for the sleeper. I enjoyed the experience and it saved time.