COVID-19 Travel Advisory: Stay up to date with the latest on the coronavirus pandemic.   Learn More >

Budapest Tips

Old Apr 27th, 2005, 05:17 PM
Original Poster

Budapest Tips

I just returned from Budapest and the posters on here were so helpful I thought I'd try to return the favor a little with a few discoveries of my own.
1. hotel - we stayed at the Budapest Marriott. I liked this hotel a lot. Granted, it is a concrete monstrosity but the location and view can't be beat. One of the only hotels with balconies, being able to walk out of your room with a beautiful view of the Danube, the cruise boats, the bridges and the lighted palace was something I really had an appreciation for. Although the nearby Kempenski Cornivus and Le Meridien are more luxurious I was very happy to be at the Marriott instead because of the view, the excellent staff and good value. The front desk always had several smiling people ready to assist and I never saw a line. The downside on this hotel would be the drab restaurant but we like to eat outside of the hotel anyway. The health club is a full facility with all amenities and the "beer garden" is a great place for people watching on a sunny day.

2. Great place for shopping, lunch and people watching - Take the Metro to the Opera station and walk down Andrassy St. towards the Oktagon station. This is a great street and we found a gem of a restaurant for lunch called Abszint. It is at Andrassy 34. A really cute place and for lunch make sure you get the daily special - we had delicious mushroom soup, a traditional chicken dish (with paparika) and wild rice along with a glass of wine all for about $5 per person! The daily special is posted in a plastic frame on the table and is all in Hungarian. It is obvious that it caters to locals as they give you an English menu (with much higher prices) when you sit down and don't mention the specials but ask the waiter to interpret. We did and loved our find!
If you keep walking on Andrassy toward Okatagon look for Liszt Square on your right..a really cute pedestrian street with shopes, restaurants and outdoor seating.
For dinner try a wonderful Italian restaurant called Trattoria Pomo D'Oro at Arany Janos utca 9. It's great and was packed even on a Monday night...make sure you have reservations!

Museums - Plan your touring carefully as many museums are closed on Mondays. We made sure we used Sunday to hit the museums that we wanted to visit that we knew were closed on Monday. The National Museum is excellent if you are interested in Hungarian history as I was. It is self guided from room to room tracing the history of Hungary B.C. all the way through to the fall of Communism. Very interesting and it's free.
I would also recommend the Holocaust Museum. It's new and has an excellent temporary exhibit (the permanent exhibit opens in the fall). It's a beautiful facility and adjacent to the renovated synagogue. Very moving.
The other museum which doesn't seem to be in the normal tour book radar is the "House of Terror Museum". It's house in the former secret police headquarters and has excellent displays reviewing the Nazi and Communist regimes and the persecution of many. It's extremely interesting. I wouldn't necessarily recommend both the Holocaust and House of Terror museums on the same day however as it can be somewhat of a downer! It was great having gone through these museums before touring around because I had more of an understanding of Hungarian heroes such as the Hungarian President who stood up against the Soviets in the attempted 1956 revolution and was executed for it when I saw their monuments and memorials.
Enjoy Budapest! I loved it!
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 09:24 AM

Thank you, Dennis. We're going in June and I will make good use of your tips! Kathy
Old Apr 28th, 2005, 03:47 PM

Dennis - We're heading to Budapest in late May and your tips are timely! Thanks for the restaurant suggestions - Abszint sounds like a place we'd love.
Old Apr 29th, 2005, 03:59 AM

Dennis thank you for the report. I will be in Budapest for 2 days in July, also staying at the Marriott, so I look forward to the trip.
Old May 30th, 2005, 03:12 PM

Hello Dennis:

I and my husband will be disembarking in Budapest after a Viking River cruise on July 10th. Will appreciate if you will kindly let me know if the Marriott is on the Pest side and how far it is from the Cruise Ships Piers and the airport. Your response will help tremendously. If possible email us at [email protected]

Angela and Norman
Old May 30th, 2005, 05:01 PM

Yes the Marriott is on the Pest side.

From the airport? Well, everything downtown is far from the airport -- 20-25 minutes by airport shuttle van or taxi.
Old May 31st, 2005, 06:24 PM

Thank you Tedgale.

HOPE SOMEONE OUT THERE WILL LET US KNOW HOW FAR THE MARRIOTT IS FROM THE CRUISE SHIPS PIER.
Old May 31st, 2005, 11:40 PM

Good grief, Donata50, why are you screaming??? Ask your cruise line. Ask the Marriott Hotel. Have a wonderful trip.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 12:19 AM

I have a relative who send emails only in all caps - because it is easier on her eyes. I explained about "shouting" online, and she explained herself graciously to my acceptance of this practice.
Old Jun 1st, 2005, 02:18 AM

I did a little searching on the web to identify the pier you want.

Apparently 5 new piers are being built to accommodate expanding traffic. (The big new one will be beside the Parliament, which is somewhat north of the Marriott. But that will open only in 2008.)

The hydrofoil website indicates:

"Ferries arrive and depart from the International Ferry Pier (Nemzetkozi Hajoallomas) on Belgrad rakpart in Budapest, just North of Szabadsag Bridge on the Pest side by the Admiral Restaurant."

...in other words, within a few blocks of the Marriott.

To be sure this is the right pier, I suggest you contact Viking river cruises or ask on a cruise message board -- the Danube cruise seems a popular one.

BTW: Viking passengers refer frequently to visiting sights in the central part of Pest, eg. Fatal restaurant, so I am guessing you will indeed dock close to the Marriott.