Budapest - Szechenyi Baths

Feb 13th, 2006, 04:35 AM
Original Poster

Budapest - Szechenyi Baths

We're planning on being in Budapest for 3 days in early June.

If anybody has been to the Szechenyi Baths, could you please explain the entrance/exit/refund process?

Thinking of spending a few hours there as part of visiting the park.

Thanks.
Feb 13th, 2006, 04:54 AM

I can't remember the exact details but you pay a fixed entrance fee when you arrive and then if you stay more than 4 (say) hours you don't get anything back. If you leave before that you queue up and get a refund depending how long you have spent there.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, I remember it being very simple when I was there (with instructions in English).
Feb 13th, 2006, 05:25 AM

Sure.
A great way to spend a relaxing afternoon or morning (or both) in Budapest. Upon admittance, you purchase time and services at a little window within the main hall of the building. (I'm assuming you know how to get there since you didn't ask). There is one window for regulars who seek medical treatments and another for those just there for a one off experience. I could not determine without asking which one ws which, and stood in teh wrong line for almost 15minutes before I figured out what was going on.
Once you've decided and paid, you'll receive a ticket with a bar code. Keep this with you (in your locker) and as you leave, you'll have to pass a uniformed attendant at a turnstile who will take your ticket, feed it into a machine which if you have any unsed time remaining will spit out the appropriate amount of refund in coins. It's as simple as that.

Have fun.
Feb 17th, 2006, 04:11 AM

Dear All, how much you are right! I am from Budapest, a great fan of our wonderful baths but I have never been there without helping some helpless visitors! Just followw Mathieu'instructions and keep in your mind the Gellért is one of the few places where you can still feel the atmosphere of the communism! I hope we will improve... But if you are already in, it's great and try the other baths too, like Széchény, Rudas! This makes Bp special! Good Luck and enjoy your stay in Hungary. (If I see you in the bath, I will help...) Gabriella Török
Feb 17th, 2006, 07:07 AM

Hello Gabriella,

I became a fan of your beautiful city ever since visiting it for 2 days in 2004. Last year I returned for a week in the Spring to discover more, and I hope to do so again this year in October.

Best regards

M
Feb 17th, 2006, 11:46 AM

I visited the bath last month, it is quite easy, upon paid 2000 Ft at the small window in the entrance hall, you would receive a card (same as credit card), insert the card into a machine to go to the changing area and pools.

Before leaving, insert the card into another machine, the balance will be returned to you. I stayed less than 2 hours, got 800 Ft back.

In the locker room, make sure you keep the locker key and remember the number written inside the locker door by the attendant.

The bathes are huge with doors to different areas, don't miss the outdoor pools, even in the middle of January, they were still packed.

It would be more convenient to bring bathing suit, towels, slippers, soap... etc.
Feb 18th, 2006, 08:35 AM

you should know that some of the baths, like szechenyi open until 10pm. it is fun to go there in the evening.
Rudas is OK, but lost it atmosphere after the renovation last year.
Gellert is more fancy and more xepensive.
Kiraly is beautiful.
Check the days for men and women !!!
Mar 19th, 2006, 12:38 PM

Can men and women go on the same day to Szechenyi Baths?
Mar 19th, 2006, 03:37 PM

Yes...men and women can go to the baths there...there are some baths that are men/women only in the complex.
Mar 29th, 2006, 09:31 PM

I am a local guide (driver-guide) in Budapest.I often guide visits to the Széchenyi Thermal Bath for my clients, everybody is very happy to see people taking bath outside, also in frosen winter time.
Entrance: for swimming: in front of the Circus Theater,
other entrance: side entrance for treatments.
Entrance fee: 2000 HUF (4 USD) for whole day. Open: from 6 am-till 7 pm.
If you stay shorter, you get beck a repayment at the cashier. Do not miss the visit of the thermal bathes of Gellért Hotel on Buda side, best swimming and modern spa area: in Thermal Hotel on the Margaret Island.
Superb Spa facilities in county side as well.
May 25th, 2006, 07:55 AM

Alo Myer, I also plan to visit Budapest on 5th July/06. Would be so kind to recommend the best and safe (but not too much expensive) bath for me and my wife?
Also I would like to have informations on a good and well located hotel, not too expensive. And finally a list of the best and must see places to visist in Budapest and nearby.
Hope to have your news, many thanks

Miguel
(email: [email protected])
May 26th, 2006, 04:58 AM
Original Poster

We're staying at the Marriott Executive Aptpartment. A block or two from the river, a block of so from Vaci Utca, not far from Vegado Sq.

Was recommended by several people on this board. $125US including breakfast.

It appears to be more on an appartment for longer stays than a day hotel. But the desk is manned 24/7. They're arranging for a car to pick us up at the train station as we are arriving 23:30 (app).

We'll be back mid-June so I'll report then on the results.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 05:54 PM

my husband and I visited the Szechenyi baths and loved them. we enjoyed many of the pools and had a great experience. We also went to the Gellart Baths and enjoyed them but not near as much as Sz. Either one is easily visited as a couple.
Jun 3rd, 2006, 06:36 PM

Well, Myer has obviously already left for his/her trip. But as to the baths, I wouldn't be caught dead going into the Gellert Baths, all those fat hairy people in the water, and a peek in the spa rooms indicated a rather "communistic" look, (read: interrogation-like rooms, small, bare, with the single light bulb swinging from the ceiling-you get the picture- and none too clean looking either, with more fat hairy people lying on a table in those rooms -eek!)

Peek in at the architecture of the Gellert Hotel/Spa bldg. there at the entrance where you pay to get in, and be done with it! (and forget the Gellert Hotel as well-NOT the place to stay in Budapest).

If you're looking for a great spa experience in Budapest, I'd suggest the Danubius Hotel on Margarit Island, an island right in the middle of Budapest, on the Danube, with all public transp. connections. It's a newish hotel with a beautiful CLEAN thermal spa adjacent. Plus, since it's on an island, you can do walks with no traffic to contend with for an overall relaxing and health-oriented stay, yet, all the sights of Buda and Pest are right there outside the door.