Budapest between Xmas and New Year

Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 10th, 2004, 06:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi - I'm new on this forum but as there seems to be much good information here, I thought I'd join in. Having had a wonderful break in Prague, last Christmas, this year we've booked a short break from 27th to 30th December in Budapest. It's our first visit there, so any information would be useful - where not to miss, will everything be open, are the Christmas markets still on at this time, as they were in Prague?
Does anyone have any information on the Gold hotel Buda, which we booked through Venere?
Thanks in advance for any advice.
Maria
Old Nov 10th, 2004, 07:46 AM

Funny, I'm actually staying at the Gold Hotel Buda 11/22 to 11/29. I'd be happy to give you the skinny once I'm back.
Old Nov 16th, 2004, 05:29 PM
Rod

I'd expect most everything to be open while you are there, but don't recall about the Christmas markets.

What not to miss depends on so much, but I'd highly recommend the 1/2 day sightseeing tour when you start -- take one with a live, multi-lingual guide, not the tape recording tours. Then some time in the National Museum, Ethnographic Museum, Central Market at southern end of Vacu utca (include upper level for handmade goods), maybe thermal baths (several choices). But ... the tour should get you a great overview and point you for much of your stay.

I don't know the Gold hotel, but am sure "theash" will report.
Old Nov 17th, 2004, 04:32 AM

I stayed something like 27th Dec- 2nd Jan about 3 years ago. We had a great time and ever since have wanted to go back to experience it in the summer too. There was a small street market seling crafts but I'm not sure when it appeared - maybe only on the 31st. Quite a few of the museums were closed. The weather (cold with a little bit of snow) was perfect for that great hearty food - lots of game. I recommend dining at Gundel once - it's very historic & a great experience.
Old Dec 2nd, 2004, 07:13 AM
Original Poster

Hi Theash - are you back from Budapest now? How was the hotel and your stay?
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 04:29 AM

Hi!
I am a private guide in Budapest and will try to answer your questions.
Everything will be open from December 27th.
This is probably the best time to visit Budapest. Nowadays it has remained probably the one and only week when the whole country is in an absolute relax mood. There are almost no crowds (sometimes the streets look unusually empty), no traffic jams, less people in the thermal spas etc. The Christmas markets still open but unfortunately they pale in comparison with the ones in Austria or Germany.
The Hotel Gold has a very good location (10 minutes to downtown by feet or 5 minutes by bus) and my clients told me they were satisfied with the price/quality value.
Old Dec 8th, 2004, 05:04 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Goumbare, have you got any advice on a good area to wander around at night - for window shopping, restaurants and generally taking in the best sights of the city by night? Are there any areas of Budapest to avoid at night?
Thanks again, Maria
Old Dec 16th, 2004, 08:39 AM

We have just returned from a long weekend in Budapest.The restaurant called " Cafe Kor " is a must, great food,good atmosphere and reasonably priced,suggest you book as it gets busy.