Budapest - 4 nights

Dec 27th, 2003, 09:24 AM
Original Poster

Budapest - 4 nights

We (two couples) are arriving in Budapest from USA for 4 nights on May 8. I would appreciate all suggestions for sightseeing. Should we consider a day trip our of Budapest somewhere on one of the days? None of us are shoppers, but I love classical music and opera and would enjoy any info as to performances.

BTW - its a 50th birthday celebration for three of the four of us traveling! We are proceeding to Vienna and Prague after Budapest.
Dec 27th, 2003, 09:37 AM

We've been to all 3 destinations and liked them all. Be sure to take a boat trip on the Danube Bend to Estergom and Viszegrad (sp??). We do not shop either, but always enjoy visiting Budapest's main two story market. It is fun ust to see the food stuffs available. We too love classical music. Last time we were in Budapest we stayed in the Kulturinov Hotel which is close to the castle. The hotel is nothing special (in fact rather dumpy) but the location was great and it is affiliated with arts organizations so often in the mornings we could hear the rehearsals taking place in other parts of the building. While definitely aimed at the tourists, the gypsy music concerts are an enjoyable and not too costly way to spend an evening. The musical abilities of some of the musicians are truly amazing.
Dec 27th, 2003, 09:50 AM

The Kulturinov looks great from the outside. We also stayed on that square but at the Berg Hotel. The Hilton is also located there. We think that the Castle District is the preferable place to stay - it's like being in a Renaissance village. Of our three days in Budapest, we spent only one afternoon in Pest and fled 'home' to Buda.
Dec 27th, 2003, 01:11 PM

Check out the museum of deocrative arts. The building itself is an impressive turn of the century steel and glass building, if memory serves me right.
Dec 28th, 2003, 06:07 AM
Rod

With only three full days, I'd pass any trip outside the city. With a fourth day, I'd second the recommendation to take the full day "Danube Bend" tour covering Visegrad, Estergom and Szentendre. A bus will take you past Aqvincum to Visegrtad, then to Estergom (and lunch), then down to Szentendre from which you will return by boat to Budapest. But three days barely covers what Budapest itself offers, a list that includes Statue Park, several museums (National Museum, Applied Arts, Ethnogaphic, to name just three worthwhile ones), strolling/shopping Vaci utca, the District V central market, the main synagogue, the caves, Turkish baths (at the Gellert for the most elaborate), and concerts sure to be available.