Budapest, and where else?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be taking a week's vacation in May, during which I will probably visit Budapest.

What is another city I should visit during the week? Should be easily accessed by train, safe for female possibly traveling alone, lots of charm and history. Original and interesting shops would be a plus.

I've already been to Prague and Vienna.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:53 AM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 06:58 AM
ira

Hi FW,

I suggest revisiting either Prague or Vienna.

Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:12 AM

I'm not clear...are you or are you not traveling alone and do you or do you not have lots of charm and history?

Just kidding...sure Vienna or Prague even if you have been there seems reasonable. We will travel there in two months ourselves. But where is your plane landing...Budapest itself or someplace like Munich?
Bill
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:15 AM

Have you considered other cities within Hungary, or are you wanting to move further along the capital/large city track?

If you're considering seeing more of Hungary, I'd highly recommend Eger for a couple of nights. The wide variety of beuatiful churches, the castle, the Turkish minaret are all worth seeing.

We didn't make it (yet), but Pecs gets rave reviews as well.
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

My plans right now are flexible. I will most likely fly into Munich and catch a connection to Budapest, but nothing is set in stone. As of now, I am planing the trip as a solo one, but a friend has shown interest and may join me.

I just went to Austria 6 months ago, so I don't see going back yet. Prague, I'd love to visit again and if my friend comes with we probably will.

I will definitely look into Eger.

Any other suggestions?
Old Mar 16th, 2005, 08:45 AM

A day trip out of Budapest we very much enjoyed was Szentendre, a charming little town (full of tourists but fun nonetheless). We took a local train there and a boat on the Danube back to Budapest. Lots of little shops and cafes. We had lunch, walked around, did some shopping and also visited the Serbian Orthodox Church. It was a nice way to spend a day.
Old Mar 17th, 2005, 02:55 PM

Pecs is beautiful, and the people are VERY friendly. I went there with some friends when I was 17 and we ended up meeting some locals who drove us all to a look-out point to watch the sun rise in the am. It was really one of my most memorable experiences in Hungary.

I agree that Szentendre is a great day trip from Bp. Other nice places are towns around Lake Balaton, like Tihany and Balatonfured... Veszprem....

Everyone also says Szeged is a great place, but I've never been.