Budapest

Jan 4th, 2001, 04:50 AM
Paige

Budapest

Hello! I'm thinking about planning a trip to Budapest in the next few months. How long should we stay? I was thinking of maybe a 3 day weekend. What are the best things to see and do? I live in Munich so I assume the weather is about the same as here. Any comments? Any hotel recommendations for $100 a night or less for a double? Thanks!

Jan 4th, 2001, 06:09 AM
Mary Ann

A 3 day weekend would probably be good. We were there 3 nights in Fall 1999. Where you stay will depend on your interests. There are the two sides of the river, Buda and Pest. We stayed on the Buda side in an area called Castle Hill. It is a very quaint area with only two hotels and a marvelous view of the river and the pest side. The Hilton is right on the river and can be high priced. We stayed at the Kulturinov ($75us at that time, it is in the wing of a government building (very basic, clean, old, great location). It is right across the cobblestone street from the Matthias church.
The very best thing we did was the night time Danube cruise. All the building were lighted, you have ear phones in your own language and a monitor to augment the dialogue. Then there is the market area, the churches and the thermal baths. We had wonderful food and a great time.

Jan 4th, 2001, 06:38 AM
Paige

Mary Ann, do you have the address, phone, e-mail, fax, etc. of the hotel? Thanks!

Jan 4th, 2001, 07:23 AM
Kathleen

Date: 1/04/01, 5:13pm Finland

Message: I had the good fortune to spend a week in Budapest and still missed many things. I would also recommend the Danube river trip. Other sites I think of are the Castle District with a stop at Ruszwurm for coffee, the Dohany Synagoge, and Gerbeaud's "coffee house". There are wonderful parks to stroll through and Herend porcelain is a beautiful souvenier! We stayed at a pension near the embassies on the Buda side. We caught a bus to any where and our hosts were helpful in terms of events we might enjoy. Make sure you always have a ticket for the buses as they randomly do ticket checks and it is a bit of an intimidating process. Enjoy!

Jan 4th, 2001, 08:50 AM
Art

Hi Paige, can I stay in your place while you go to Budapest?????. Seriously, Budapest is a beautiful city. I stayed a week with a Dr Fleps and his wife. They rent a room with private bath for $40.00/night including a great breakfast. Their flat is up on a hill on the Budda side with a great view of the city. I would have my coffee on the balcony and enjoy the view every morning. I was there for 7 1/2 days and did not run out of things to see and do. I did take one day trip to lake Balaton while there. Dr Fleps has put together a pamphlet of 12 walks to do in Budapest. He was a very gracious host and had many experiences and knowledge of history to share. The national Museum is worth a day and you could spend 2 days there. The largest Jewish Synagogue in Europe is about a block from the national Museum. The Opera house is beautiful and VERY inexpensive to attend. I also attended another musical offering called Operetta which was a collection of famous music from various Operas. Great performance. Don't miss the parliament, the largest on the European continent. A small side trip about 20 km outside of Budapest by bus is where they took ALL of the Soviet statues and placed them in an out door park in the absolute boonies, worth a visit.
If you are interested in staying with the Fleps, let me know and I'll give you there address and phone no.
Enjoy yourselves and I'm envious.
Art

Jan 4th, 2001, 10:15 AM
mark

I concur with Art - Budapest is wonderful. If you're into design - the Museum of Applied Arts has a wonderful collection of pieces from the secession, arts + crafts and other design periods. While the Castle Hill District is nice - you'll most likely want to take a cab at night if going into Pest. I stayed at the Gellert - beakfast wasn't good but the use of the themal baths was included in the room
( http://www.danubiusgroup.com/ ). The Opera House is gorgeous. The people are gentle and very kind - and I had sme great meals. Enjoy!

Jan 5th, 2001, 12:46 AM
Paige

Hey Art! Can you give me their address and phone number? Do they have a double room? Thanks!

Jan 11th, 2001, 06:33 AM
Jim

My wife and I are planning a trip to Budapest at the end of January We are very interested in staying at DR & Mrs. Fleps B&B. If you would be so kind as to furnish us with their contact information we would be grateful.

Jan 11th, 2001, 08:22 AM
Linda

We stayed with Dr. & Mrs. Fleps as well. His address is Bogar utca 20b, 1022 Budapest, Hungary. The phone number is 011-361-340-1108. He is a retired English-speaking lawyer/chemistry professor. Art is the expert on Budapest.

Mar 6th, 2001, 11:01 AM
Michelle/NYC

had a wonderful time in Budapest this past Fall... although I was hoping to spend a day outside of the city and explore the Danube Bend, but it was not the right time of year. lots of great suggestions here. I would stay on the Pest side as there is more to do and visit Buda for it's sites and gorgeous views of Pest. walk across the Chain Bridge and then take the Furnicular up the cliff. also, visit the Cental Market... great architecture and fun to eat at the different food vendors. have fun.

Mar 6th, 2001, 07:37 PM
judi

We will be in Budapest in Oct. Will be staying at the Hotel Victoria..anyone familiar with this hotel? Thanks.

Mar 20th, 2001, 08:45 PM
coal

I am planning to get married in less than five weeks in Budapest. Does anybody know a nice church or any neccessary regulations?

Mar 21st, 2001, 01:24 PM
Bellina

Hello - My name is Bellina. I was hoping you could help me - I am planning a
trip to Budapest - arriving around the 16th of June and staying a few days. The couple that several of you stayed with sounded great - I'd like to get in touch with them
and see if they have anything available for that time. I am traveling alone and
am wondering what the neighborhood is like -safe?close to restaurants, old town?
Thanks for any help or information you can give me. I'm also on a limited
budget!

Search this Thread