Buckingham Palace

Search

Buckingham Palace

Search this Thread

Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:02 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Buckingham Palace

I just purchased a 7 day London Visitor's Travel Card for my trip in 9 days. Yes, I had to pay extra to have the thing FedEx'd, but, it's only money. Anyhow, the sight also had info about a London Travel Pass, but I opted not to buy that since so many of you stated that it really isn't worth the money.

Anyhow, the sight mentioned that the State Rooms in Windsor Castle are only opened for a short time and you need to purchase advanced tickets to get in. Does anyone out there have information on the who, what and where regarding this attraction? Thanks in advance.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Disregard completely. I found my answer a few posts away.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
I'm pretty sure you meant Buckingham Palace. It is only open Late July to late Sept. Windsor is open pretty much year round.

Yes - you do need timed tickets for Buckingham Palace. But you can usually buy them after you are in London - as long as you have flexible dates. If you must go on a certain day, then buy them ahead of time.

It is too late for you unfortunately - but for others that might see this thread -- The Visitors Travel Card costs more than just buying transport tickets in London. And when you add the Fed Ex cost it is an even worse deal.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:22 PM

Sorry - I was posting the same you were . . . . .
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 07:34 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I did mean Buckingham Palace. What gives with the London Visitors Travel Card?
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:00 PM

"What gives" is that is is a marketing product and while not outrageously over priced, it idoes cost more than just buying regular transport passes/tickets from any tube station. Plus there are more options available only in London that might make more sense for some travelers/itineraries.

You weren't hugely cheated or anything - but you did pay a bit more than just waiting til you got to London.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 08:19 PM
Original Poster

Fleeced and I haven't even left the country yet! I've been reading about the London fare system over the past few months and it was making my head hurt. I ran across the sight and figured I'd get the card in advance.

I ran across some other sights just now and realize I could have saved a few $$ buying the card when I get there (not to mention the no travel before 9:30 restriction). I just have to make sure that I use up $127 worth of fares ($77 in actual fares an $51 in Fed Ex).

One question, though. Can I use the thing to get to Birmingham?

That's what I get for being hasty...
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:07 PM

$51 for Fed Ex - ooh, that hurts.

Now for more bad news -- no you can't use it to get to Birmingham. That trip would be on regular trains. (when the Travel card info says "National Rail trains" it just means for trips w/i greater London)
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 09:47 PM
Original Poster

I'm gonna use the heck out of that thing.....
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 10:20 PM

There might be other savings besides money, esp when the budget isn't ultra tight. and so not a huge issue. There'a a value on time and convenience too

For example if you know you'll made good use of this card, well there's a lot of times you won't have to be fumbling for cash, peering at unfamiliar coins or breaking notes with gay abandon ( ifind it easier to do that than keep people waiting.

It's paid for now, you'll need fewer trips to the ATM and you can do your travel, enter those sights etc without a moment's worry.
Old Aug 18th, 2006, 11:06 PM
Original Poster

What about this Oyster card? That's part of this whole process I don't quite understand.

There are a few discounts (the riverboats, for one) to be had. What the heck, I'm not going to stress about it. I just want to get the heck out of town! And yeah! I can take a lipstick on board and my eye drops!

Gee, here in Chicago you have 2 choices - pay a flat $2 and go as far as you want or buy a CTA card for any amount over $10 and each ride is $1.75. Within a 2 (or 3, I forgot) hour limit, each transfer is only $.25
Old Aug 19th, 2006, 12:40 AM

By the way, you can book train tickets in advance to Birmingham and if you do, they are very cheap( so that will make up for being overcharged for the London Pass).

I think that I pay about 10 to 14 pounds for my fares each way.The train goes from Euston Station. I think that you can get even cheaper fares if you accept more time restrictions.

Just curious, have you friends in Birmingham?

TheTrainLine: train times, timetables, ticket booking on-line and reserved seats for train operators in mainland UK.
http://www.thetrainline.com/

Best wishes,

Gill.

Old Aug 19th, 2006, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

Cousins. I initially planned for Italy, with a side trip to Birmingham, but the logistics and the time I have off just wouldn't allow for a meaningful visit to Italy. Besides, It would be a waste to go all that way and not go to London. So, I'm off to the British Isle for 15 days.

Even though it looks like it's been raining for about a week and the weather is about 15 degrees cooler than here in Chicago, I'm really excited. BTW, I threw in 4 days in Scotland, too.

One week and counting....

Thanks for the info all.