Brussels Tram questions

Search

Brussels Tram questions

Search this Thread

Old Jul 12th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels Tram questions

I'll need to go to/from my hotel (across from the Bourse)to the Central Train Station. I found a city metro map showing that a tram connects these points - are there other ways to connect that's easier - subway, etc.?
Please help with the following questions:
* Where do I catch the tram from the Central Station....Is it outside the front entrance or inside the building?
* How much is the ticket, and do I pay onboard or buy a ticket first?
* Do I need exact change?

thanks in advance.

Does it sa
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 02:30 PM

The trams are the "metro" and go underground, but there is no subway as you know it.
From the Central station, you have to walk uphill a fairly short distance to the front of the museum of modern art... where there's a tram stop
(numbers 91 or 92 if I remember correctly) It's about a seven minute walk.

You can pay onboard - enter at the front of the tram and pay the driver. He'll give you a ticket that you then put into a machine just behind his seat which stamps it. You take it back out and keep it with you in case an inspector happens to board to check tickets. I think tickets are still 1.50€ (I haven't been in Brussels for a couple of months - and almost always leave my car in the garage and use the trams)

No, you don't need exact change.

Patricia
Old Jul 12th, 2007, 03:54 PM

Individual tickets are now 2€ if you buy them on the vehicle (tram or bus), 1.5€ if you get them elsewhere. For the metro, you must buy the ticket before you cross the red "security" line....you can get them from the ticket dispensing machines in the station or from manned ticket booths (if there is one). You validate tickets in the little orange boxes.
Aside from the tram, you could walk down to the De Brouckere metro station (the metro is a subway) and catch that to Centrale. Very short ride, a shortish walk (but I wouldn't recommend it if you'll have luggage).
Will you have luggage? Whereabouts do you have to go in Centrale? Are you catching a train somewhere? Meeting somebody?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for clarifying what the tram is. So it takes the same type of tickets as the 'Metro'?

I'll have luggage when I first arrive. So it seems easiest just to take taxi.

Any idea how much about $$ is Central Station to Bourse? I want to see if I already have the euros leftover from last time or need to get fresh ones before exiting BRU airport.

After I get settled, I'll be going back to the Central Station to catch the train a few times.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:12 AM
Original Poster

Also, when I was at Brussels last time, I don't remember seeing many taxi's outside the Central Station. Maybe it was too early in the morning, but are there taxi stands at the Central Station?
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 06:37 AM

Could you go to the Gare du Midi instead. I believe there are underground trams there that will take you straight to the Bourse. Actually, I'm sure there are, but I'm not sure which tram line numbers. Ask your hotel.
By the way, yes, your STIB ticket is good on all local Brussels mass transit...tram, metro, bus (with a few exceptions like the airport bus). One ride covers any form of mass transit you use within the city for a full hour. If you plan to do a couple of different things by mass transit, just get a one day pass.
Old Jul 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Tilke, I think that's a good idea. I found a metro map and see that there are 5 trams to Bourse from Gare Midi.