Notices

Brussels or Middelburg?

Jan 28th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Brussels or Middelburg?

Hey, i have to choose between going to Brussels (Belgium) or to Middelburg (Netherlands) what is there do do or see that can be interesting? Which one do you recommend?
Jan 29th, 2014, 12:33 AM

Why do you have to choose?

How many days do you have?

What are your interests?
Jan 29th, 2014, 08:01 AM

Brussel and Middelburg are apples and oranges. Middelburg is a small, charming town while Brussel is a metropolis with lots of attractions.

Other middle-sized historic towns in northern Belgium are Gent and Brugge.
Feb 1st, 2014, 05:32 AM

I have never been to Middelburg but have visited Brussels several times and would recommend going there. There are many other cities you can visit easily in day trips from Brussels.
I wrote a trip report about our 2011 stay in Brussels which will give you details.
Feb 3rd, 2014, 03:31 AM

From Middelburg you could visit the nearby beach of Domburg.
Feb 5th, 2014, 01:50 PM

I've not been to Middelburg either, but personally, I'd definitely avoid spending too long (more than 3 days) in Brussles. There's not a great amount to do and it tends to almost come to a standstill at the weekend because everyone who works there goes home!
Feb 5th, 2014, 04:21 PM

Brussels does not come to a standstill - I have lived there and know this is not true. But it is true that hotels are emptier (read cheaper) at weekends because many employees of the European institutions and the other businesses that deal with them do go home. You would only notice a difference in the EU district, which does not have much to tempt tourists (unless you are particularly interested in the EU and structures like the Berlaymont building or the Consilium), And it is true that most shops close on Sundays, but this again has nothing to do with the 'exodus' on the weekends - this is absolutely in keeping with many other countries in Europe. Museums, cafés and restaurants will still be open, and so too some supermarkets (Sunday mornings) and the 'night shops'. In the tourist areas (i.e. around the Grand' Place) there will still be plenty of things to do, see and eat.

Most people have their fill after a couple of days in Brussels - but if you are willing to go past the centre and into the suburbs like Ixelles, there are more activities than you can poke a stick at.

Lavandula

Search this Thread