Brussels or Luxembourg City?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 11:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Spending 4 days in Paris, then off to either Brussels (where boyfriend wants to go) or Lux. City (where I think I'd rather go) for 2 nights.
Which would be better? Help me plead my case--if it is indeed a better place to go to spend 2 days. This is my fiorst trip to Europe.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 12:49 PM

Brussels is not that exciting, but then again, neither is Luxemburg City. The best thing about Brussels is probably that you can take a day trip to wonderful Bruges (only 1 hour by train from Brussels) and of course enjoy Belgian food, chocolate and beers ;-)
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 01:01 PM

I've been to both and I'd take Brussels. I could have spent the rest of my life on the Grand Place watching people and sipping a beer. In addition to chocolate (try Mary's) and beer, don't miss out on the mussels.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:11 PM

I've been to both and, although I love the Grand Place, I would take Luxembourg City easily. The capital of Luxembourg is spectacular - the gorges, along with the rivers that run through them and the bridges that span them, form one of the most dramatic backdrops of any European city. It's a small but unforgettable piece of Europe that most visitors never discover.
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 02:25 PM

I second Lux City - not that there is much to do, but if I had a couple of days just to relax in a place (which both of those cities is all there is essitially to do) I think Lux City is prettier (JMHO). Plus you can go to the WWII American Cemetary where Patton is buried, go over the border to Germany (only an hour away), or even better go to Viandan to the old castle... Also the battelements are interesting in Lux...

Brussles I wasn't impressed, although the surrounding countryside is nice, and Bruges is nice, but Lux trumps it...
Old Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:03 PM

Here's another vote for Luxembourg City, actually two more - my husband just said, "Lux City, hands down."

Before our visit I had seen many pictures of Luxembourg City, but the photos just didn't do justice to the beautiful scenery and landscapes. And as anissa suggested, you can easily do a day trip to Germany (Trier), the American Cemetary or Vianden.

Here's a previous thread with additional info about Luxembourg City.

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34496210

Enjoy your trip, and please let us know which city you decide to visit. Peace. >-

Robyn
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:48 AM

Luxembourg hands down. I would also recommend the trip to Vianden to see the castle.

As an interntational city with some many interntational banks and diplomats, Luxembourg has great food. It is absolutely beautiful and the people are warm and friendly. I will be there in one week with my wife and kids.