Baby food on flight

Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:18 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baby food on flight

My wife has a question. Can you take baby food fruit on flights? If you do, must you simply leave it on the flight instead of taking it in to the country of origin? We leave for a visit to my mom's in Luxembourg on March 10th.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:23 PM

Yes, you can take it on the flight. I don't know whether you can then take an open jar into Europe (are you saying the Luxembourg is the country of origin of your baby food? Unclear on what you mean there) or not, but from personal experience, I can say you probably won't want to. You'll be plenty discombobulated after an all-night flight with an infant, and re-closed jars of baby food fruit would, at least in MY carry-on, soon be a gloppy mess all over the bottom of the bag.
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for such a quick reply. That would be my thought, but I wanted to go ahead and ask the follow up question I know my wife will have for me.

America is the country of origin for the food and Luxembourg is our final destination (via CDG).
Old Feb 28th, 2005, 01:40 PM

I would think that since the baby food will not be refrigerated that any open jar should be thrown away anyway. I don't know about unopened jars of baby food, but the worse that could happen I would imagine is that customs in Luxembourg would confiscate them. I am sure Luxembourg has baby food you can buy if you to need. Your Mom there would know.
Have a wonderful trip!
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 05:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks again for the replies. I do not think the concern was having baby food in Luxembourg 9we have been a few times before our youngest was born) so much as it was taking fruit on an international flight.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 06:01 AM

Generally speaking, it is fresh fruit, etc., that many agricultural/customs agencies try to prohibit, not processed items.
Old Mar 1st, 2005, 09:54 AM

You don't go through customs on departure, so your only concern will be that the TSA people don't think the baby food is a weapon.

Airlines seem to be very accomodating toward people with babies. I often see them heating bottles and entertaining the babies.