Travling with babies

May 13th, 2011, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Travling with babies

We are leaving for Hawaii in July with our two girls one 3 years and the other 5 months old. We will be visiting Family and attending a wedding. We are so excited but our 3 year old is terrified by the thougtht, cring when we talk about the flight. Not sure how the baby will do, just got over collic, she is finally getting a cute personality, hope she does well for that long flight. We bought a seat for the 3 year old but we will be holding the baby the entire flilght which should be okay since i am used to holdong her and bouncing all the time because of the collic.
My concern is... Will i be able to stand up and bounce if she starts cring and with all the rules about liquids on flights, are we able to bring baby food and full bottles on board or do we have to buy bottled water after we board and with mix powder formula?
May 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM

There is some exemption for baby food, but I don't know the specifics.

And yes, so long as the seat belt sign is not lit, you will be able to walk around with the baby (other than getting in the way of the flight attendants with the food and drink carts). When my son was 3, I stood with him near the galley for 3 hours of a 5-hour flight to Hawaii -- I figured fewer people could hear him crying back there!
May 13th, 2011, 09:40 AM

Sorry, make that 3 months, not 3!
May 13th, 2011, 10:21 AM

For your 3 yo, keep highlighting the fun parts of the trip. If you have photos of the family you're going to meet, show them to your daughter and explain who they are so she begins to build an attachment to them. Some calls on Skype or another video messenger can allow her to get to know the relatives she's going to meet so she begins to look forward to the trip.

Go to your local library or a bookstore (if any still exists in your neighborhood) and find children's books about plane trips or airplanes themselves.

Most children's books describe a trip step-by-step and if she knows what the trip will entail, it can help to allay her fears. Also, if she learns a couple of the airplane parts and what they do, she can look for them when she boards or during the flight. It will also help her understand the sounds she hears in-flight.

As a last resort, if the airport is nearby, it may be worth a trip there to walk around the check-in and baggage areas to show her what she'll be doing. The airport authority may be able to give you a short tour or have "wings" or other freebies to give her. If it's not a peak time, you may be able to stop at the check-in counter and let her meet "the person" who will check her bag and see that it goes on the plane. You may also be able to watch planes takeoff and land from somewhere on the perimeter.

Of course, this wouldn't have worked when I was 3 because I don't think I would have talked to a stranger if my pants were on fire.
May 13th, 2011, 07:59 PM

You can bring baby formula and food, but you need to have it separate at security and let them know ahead of time that there are baby supplies. They might ask you to take sips of any formula or milk. I would suggest, to make things simple, pre-filling bottles with powder, going through security, buying bottled water before you board, then mixing it as you need it.
As far as the 3 year old, maybe talk to your local librarian or bookstore about a "going on a plane" or "taking a trip" book to get her excited? And lots and lots of little things to pull out and keep her occupied. Good luck!
May 14th, 2011, 03:51 AM

http://www.travelforkids.com/Travele...withbabies.htm

keep them up for hours B4 and feed them well prior to boarding

maybe you will get lucky and they will sleep a lot.
May 15th, 2011, 05:32 PM
Original Poster

Ok i have another question...Does my 3 year old need a car seat for the trip or can she use the lap belt? Also do the girls need state I.D.'s for security reasons?
Never flown with children before.I can't imagine lugging a car seat all over the airports,and having enough arm power to keep track of both girls too!lol. What have i gotten myself into. Thanks to all who have responded also you all have been so very helpful! i appreciate the advice.
May 16th, 2011, 01:27 PM

If you're not going to need the carseat at your destination then i wouldn't bother taking it, my daughter was fine with the airplane's lapbelt from the age of 2. Although if you're going to need a car seat at your destination then take it on the plane
May 16th, 2011, 04:20 PM

Make a special trip with the 3-year-old to the big box mega store in your area.
Depending on your budget, you may consider either a portable DVD player with headphones and a movie that can't be opened until the flight, or an Ipod shuffle or similar and load his/her favorite songs (Backyardigans theme, Sesame Street, Dora, Diego, etc) with the same flight deal.
It will give the 3-year-old something to look forward to, and give them focus on the plane as well. Once they start weatching or listening, kids can put themselves into thier own world. You probably won't even realize it once the get in thier zone.

Good luck, and travel safe...
May 17th, 2011, 06:29 AM

I check DD's carseat (in a canvas travel bag) with our luggage - most airlines allow strollers and carseats for free - DD is 26 months and the lapbelt suits her fine for the limited time she's in it. Coincidentally, we just made our first trip with her since she had to have her own seat,so I asked several flight attendants about the airline-approved "CARES" harness -a few hadn't even heard of it, and none had ever seen anyone bother using one.

My standard operating proceure is: check car seat and luggage. DD in stroller through security. Carryon includes atleast one spare outfit for both of us, snacks, toys, sippy cups (ok if they have liquid in them, just declare them at security ahead of time) and enough diapers and wipes for TWO days - to tide us over in case of delays, missed flights, etc. Also a harness for when I have my hands full and she doesn't want to be in her stroller.

While in airports, look for the handicapped/family/companion bathroom near the rest rooms - lifesavers!!!
May 17th, 2011, 07:01 PM

hi.

so i can check-in the car seat with our luggage, and keep baby in stroller thru security and to the gate? and gate check the stroller?

we are flying international. Continental is allowing one check in (either car seat or stroller) free of charge. so by checking the car seat like luggage and then gate-checking the stroller, im ok and wont be charged extra?
May 18th, 2011, 05:17 AM

Yes, I do that every time (40+ flights with a 2yo.) And summagold, this is right on Continental's baggage policy:

"Infants traveling internationally on 10 percent of an adult fare will be granted a free baggage allowance of one stroller or one carseat and one other item (linear dimensions must not exceed 62 inches (157 cm) and weight must not exceed 50 lbs (23 kg)."

That means your little one gets a car seat AND one piece of luggage checked free, and you can still gate check the stroller. They prefer compact, umbrella-type strollers - it needs to fit through the xray machine with the rest of your carry-on bags.
May 18th, 2011, 03:10 PM

I don't agree with the "keep them up" strategy - well rested is better

Fun treats - shows to watch - You'll be fine

I say check the car seat don't bother lugging it on.

They feed off of you.... I have traveled plenty with my girls and now they really look forward to the "fun" of an airplane flight. It's an adventure.

I do have a few tips

Bring a water bottle and fill it up after security, I like having a spare "trash" bag - shopping bag to catch all the little bits. I get rid of the magazines in a few of the seat pockets in my row and throw them overhead to have more room.

My kids love the fact that I can provide my attention to them - read stories, play games and hey look no dishes to wash. That's awesome.