Search

Brussels/Luxembourg

Search this Thread

Old Jan 11th, 2011, 02:33 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brussels/Luxembourg

Good evening,

We're traveling to Brussels & Paris in late April. While in Brussles, we want to take a day trip to Antwerp and a day trip to Bruges. Our hotel (Le Meridien) is very convenient to the train. Is it necessary to book train tickets in advance, or, can we wing it? I see that trains travel frequently between both destinations.

At this point, we're planning on traveling from Brussels to Luxembourg City (arriving around 10:30 a.m.). We'd depart the next day for Paris around 1:00 p.m. Is this worth it in your opinion, or, are we trying to do too much.

Many thanks...
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 03:28 PM

My husband and I traveled to Belgium this past September. We didn't make it to Antwerp but we did spend time in both Brussels and Bruges (originating in Brussels). We bought our train tkts. to Bruges a day ahead. I'd probably get them a bit in advance as your hotel is very near to the station (I remember walking under their arch) and it wouldn't be too big of a deal to do so ahead of time. They do run quite often but the train that we took (I believe it was the noon one) was very crowded although there were many seats available in the first class compartment.

Bonne chance!

http://traveltalesfromtheredheadedtr....blogspot.com/
(my travel writing blog)
Old Jan 11th, 2011, 03:56 PM

We went to Bruges and also through Antwerp (from Bruges to Amsterdam). Both days we bought tickets the day of travel and just hopped on the next train. Easy. Trains run frequently so there really isn't any reason to buy tickets ahead of time.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 04:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for the responses. If anyone has any comments regarding my Luxembourg question, that would be appreciated.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 07:15 AM

At this point, we're planning on traveling from Brussels to Luxembourg City (arriving around 10:30 a.m.). We'd depart the next day for Paris around 1:00 p.m. Is this worth it in your opinion, or, are we trying to do too much.>

I think it is perfect - I have been to Luxembourg many times and IMO a day here is enough - more than enough for some as though Luxembourg City if one of the most gorgeous cities in Europe IMO - a deep gorge indeed runs right thru its middle - there is not all that much to do there - besides take the intriguing tour thru the casements - tunnels herwn out over the years in the cliffs for military reasons. You could trek the few miles out to the Hamm U.S. Military Cemetery to see Patton's grave too and the sobering cemetery (think Patton is here - was killed I believe in a Jeep crash in the Grand Duchy after the end of the war I believe.
Old Jan 12th, 2011, 12:52 PM
Original Poster

We're going for it. My partner is all for Luxembourg as this will yield another stamp on the passport. Now that's strange travel criteria...
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 10:09 AM

He may get a stamp on his passport but since Luxembourg is in the Schengen Accords (Agreement?), named after a town sits right where the borders Luxembourg and German and French meet, you may well not see any customs agents on trains or on highway entry points into Luxembourg. Good luck!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 03:47 PM
Original Poster

I'll chuckle internally if no stamps are involved!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 04:02 PM

Luxemburg City is rather boring, except, when on the train customs agents ask you if you have money or gold or TC above 10000€ in value on you, do declare it correctly. If you don't they'll not only conficate it but also tell your Uncle Sam.
You wouldn't want that.
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 05:36 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the FYI as we often travel with excessive cash and gold...just how we roll!
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 06:25 PM

<My partner is all for Luxembourg as this will yield another stamp on the passport. Now that's strange travel criteria...>

Not strange at all, I can understand it perfectly. However, you only get a stamp when you enter the Schengen area, so I guess for you that would be Brussels. As PalenQ points out, there won't be anyone else after that point who will give you a stamp. Makes it much easier to travel!

Lavandula
Old Jan 13th, 2011, 07:49 PM

I say go for it. My fiance and I went to Europe in Sept. 2009. He wanted to go to Luxembourg City and I did not. I'm glad we did. We took Thalis train from Paris to LC, stayed overnight at Hotel Parc Beaux Arts which was outstanding. We did a tour of the city, Grund area and ate at a local restaurant can't recall name at this moment but, had good food. I personally wished we had stayed another day only because by the time we got there was a little late so not much time to check out shops, etc. I do recommend that if you plan on seeing the casements you keep an eye out on the time. We got there and they had closed 5 minutes before. It is an expensive city but glad to have seen it. We also bought our train tickets to Brussels as soon as we got into the train station in Luxembourg. We did the same in Brussels and Amsterdaam. We found it so much easier to have the ticket ahead of time. Remember to get to the train station a little early for your train. The trains are very punctual.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 04:06 AM
Original Poster

Good info mexipal, thank you.
Old Jan 14th, 2011, 09:13 AM

I think getting stamps in the passport is fun too, but as others have said, you'll only get stamps on entry and exit if the Schengen zone.