Reload this Page >

Brussells to Paris, train

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:50 AM
ukexpat

I will be traveling by train from Brussells to Paris. The Thalys web site gives me a return ticket price of 50 euros per person as the cheapest return ticket. Am I paying a premium for booking in advance? Is it better to just show up? We will have a party of 3 adults, one child. I've checked Expedia, Easyjet, Ryanair, Go, Buzz, none have a cheaper flight between Brussells and Paris. Funny because our tickets from London to Brussells are only $30 each, round trip on Ryan.<BR><BR>Thanks

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 07:58 AM
Andre

UKexpat,<BR><BR>Book those Thalys tickets ASAP! Prices only get higher as you get closer to the departure date. BTW, you want to book these tickets on the Belgian (SNCB) booking engine, NOT the SNCF(French) one - otherwise you won't be able to pick up your tickets at the train station in Brussels.<BR><BR>That fare on Ryanair is amazing - thank your lucky stars and remember that you'll be landing in Charleroi, not Brussels...<BR><BR>Andre

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:41 AM
ukexpat

Thanks Andre,<BR>Is it much further into Brussells from Charleroi. I want to make sure that my transfer cost to and from the airport aren't ridiculous.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 08:53 AM
Andre

UKexpat, <BR><BR>I copied & pasted this from the RyanAir web site:<BR><BR>"For those travelling to Brussels, Ryanair are pleased to recommend the express coach service which departs 30 minutes after the arrival of the aircraft from outside the terminal building. Journey time to the centre of Brussels is approximately 1 hr. The bus stops at the GARE DU MIDI (south exit at junction of Rue de France and Rue de L'Instruction ). The Gare du Midi is one of Brussels’ 3 main train stations and is centrally located. <BR>Buses to Brussels South Charleroi Airport will depart 2 hours 30 minutes prior to the scheduled departure time of each Ryanair flight and buses to Brussels will depart 30 minutes after flight arrival. Tickets for the bus may be purchased onboard for a cost of ?6.20 one-way." <BR><BR>Since Thalys trains to Paris leave from the Gare du Midi, you should do fine - just leave at least an hour between your expected arrival at the station and your train departure to avoid nasty surprises...<BR><BR>Andre

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 10:21 AM
Brian in Atlanta

ukexpat, I'm confused. Do you think 50 bucks is too much for a round trip ticket from Brussels to Paris on the TGV? Sounds like a good bargain to me, but maybe I'm missing something.

Old Jul 16th, 2002, 11:26 AM
ukexpat

First of all, sorry for the spelling of Brussels. Yes Brian, I thought it would be cheaper based on other European train rides I've taken for such a short distance. Example, two weeks ago my train fare from Pisa to Florence (it took about one hour) was 9euro rt. I went from Brussels to Brugge, and Madrid to Toledo last fall for something creally heap, but I can't remember, it was before the euro conversion. I routinely go from Manchester to London (3 hour journey) for about $75 walk up fare. About $38 if I buy it way in advance. I think the difference may be that this is not a train within Belgium (not sure). I'm not saying it is expensive or not a good value, I was just making sure I wasn't missing a cheaper way to purchase the tickets.