Brugges

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 05:22 AM
Danni

Brugges

Were going to Brugges in May. Any ideas for
for a B&B (or reasonable hotel) that's furnished with antiques, etc? Also, any great
ideas for cycling, walks, something unusual to see or do?

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 05:48 AM
Andria

I was in Bruges this past october and they have bike rides that go to the beach and stop by the old battlefields. I don't remember through what touring guide but you can find all this at the tourist office when you arrive. If you're fit go to the top of the belfry tower, i did it and i'll never do it again. The stairwell gets really narrow at the top and with people going up and down at the same time you end up hanging by a rope to get down, scary to say the least. Take the touristy scenic boat ride through the canals, that was probably the best part of bruges. I went to a dutch mass at one of the cathedrals. i really actually missed a lot of the museums. On saturday mornings there's a big open market in the city. i would suggest just getting a guide book now about belgium for the general info. and get a good map when you get there and just walk all over the place to find what interests you. if you're going with a significant other you're lucky because i though bruges was more romantic than paris. email me if you have a specific question. andria

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 05:48 AM
Andria

I was in Bruges this past october and they have bike rides that go to the beach and stop by the old battlefields. I don't remember through what touring guide but you can find all this at the tourist office when you arrive. If you're fit go to the top of the belfry tower, i did it and i'll never do it again. The stairwell gets really narrow at the top and with people going up and down at the same time you end up hanging by a rope to get down, scary to say the least. Take the touristy scenic boat ride through the canals, that was probably the best part of bruges. I went to a dutch mass at one of the cathedrals. i really actually missed a lot of the museums. On saturday mornings there's a big open market in the city. i would suggest just getting a guide book now about belgium for the general info. and get a good map when you get there and just walk all over the place to find what interests you. if you're going with a significant other you're lucky because i though bruges was more romantic than paris. email me if you have a specific question. andria

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 07:58 AM
wes fowler

Danni,
Brugges, a city lost in time, is one of the loveliest in Europe. Contained within a ring canal, it's an eminently walkable city with stunning architecture and an ever present aura of the 14th and 15th centuries. At the train station, pick up a copy of the Bruges Tourist Guide, which includes maps of the old city, and a copy of Brugge Gastronomische Gids, a multi-language guide to the city's restaurants and cafes. Bicycles are also available for rent at the station. In addition to cycling through Brugges, ride to Damme, a town just a few minutes away. Damme was once the port of entry for Brugges and has a number of restaurants and canal views.

Be sure to visit the Church of Our Lady
(Onze-Lieve Vrouwekerk) on Mariastraat to see Michelangelo's lovely Madonna and Child. Visit the Town Hall (Stadhuis) and view the unbelievably majestic Gothic Room on the first floor. Visit the Beguinage and Minnewater (Lake of Love) for a lovely setting that's a perfect rest stop during your walks. Visit the Groeninge Museum with its fine collection of 15th century Flemish painting by Van Eyck, Memling, Petrus Christus and Bosch. You'll see statues of many of these painters in charming squares throughout Brugges. Visit the Lace Centre (Kantcentrum) and watch skilled artisans making lovely, ornate lace. Walk or cycle the ring canal and visit St. John's Mill (Sint-Janshuysmolen) one of Brugges three remaining windmills which is now a museum. Note, too, four of the massive gates that formed part of the old city walls that date to the 14th century.

Check the website
www.brugge.be/verblijf/en/24e.htm
for information regarding the Ter Duinen Hotel, a charming canal side hotel that's reasonably priced, has a superb breakfast and lovely rooms with modern baths.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 05:57 PM
m & J

Brugges is fantastic. Although the climb to the top of the belfry gets a little tight, we were there when the bells played--clapped our hands over ears and felt the vibrations under our feet. Fantastic.
We stayed at the Hotel Maraboe---would definitely stay there again email [email protected]
For the best chocolate, okay,our opinion, but ....for the best chocolate head to Maitre Chocolatier Verbeke, just a block off Market Square at Geldmuntstraat 25 (they close on Sunday and Monday). Our only regret--didn't buy enough chocolates from them. We had never seen windmills--make it a point to see their size. Walking the city at night with lights reflecting off the canal waters is very romantic....

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 10:37 PM
Danni

Thanks everyone, your tips are great!

Has anyone stayed in a bed and breakfast

in Brugges?

Old Apr 10th, 1999, 10:37 PM
Danni

Thanks everyone, your tips are great!

Has anyone stayed in a bed and breakfast

in Brugges?

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 06:02 PM
Gene

Last October, my wife and I stayed in the Hotel De Barge, Bargweg 15, 8000 Brugge, on the Brugges-Ghent Canal. It's a wooden boat. It has a great restaurant. We paid 2550BF for a double w/breakfast. French windows opened up in our room and the water was right there. Queen bed, full bath. Very peaceful and romantic. You can walk into town. Check out there website. You can book online.