Buy Shoes in Rome

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 04:16 PM
julie

Buy Shoes in Rome

Going to be in Rome approx. 4 days the end of June. I would dearly love to buy some shoes -- anybody have any shops to recommend?

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 05:06 PM
hamlet

FYI Ferragamo in Italy is a bit cheaper than in the US. And if you decide to go, be prepared - you may have to wait on line outside with a busload of Japanese women. An interesting experience......

Old Apr 8th, 1999, 07:51 PM
Joanna

I have bought Ferragamo shoes the last two times I was in Rome (the Via Condotti store) and had no trouble being served almost immediately, even though the shop was pretty full. The cost is about half what they are here in Australia. However, my friend with size 10 feet had no luck whatsoever.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 01:57 AM
francesca

Rome is shoe heaven. The styles are gorgeous and the prices reasonable. I used Born to Shop Italy as a guide which had many, many excellent addresses.

Old Apr 9th, 1999, 08:17 AM
rosemarie

if there is a busload of japanese women, then the shoe sizes are small. like joanna's friend, i too wear a large shoe (9 1/2). should i cross the shoe stores off my list, or is there some place that carries the larger sizes? thanx

Old Apr 11th, 1999, 08:22 PM
Joanna

Rosemarie - my feet are size 9, but I still managed to get shoes, not only in Ferragamo, but also in Max Mara. My size 10 friend couldn't - her foot, as well as being long, is very wide. The shoe sizes in Ferragamo are different to those at home, so I would recommend you at least give it a try.

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 07:12 PM
Leslie

Recently returned from Rome and Ferragamos were A LOT cheaper - but I don't know the exact savings. Tod's loafers were one half the US price. Don't forget to ask them to fill out the VAT forms for you at the stores. When you spend over, I think 300,000 Lira, you can get 17% back in cash at the airport. Also, you must show your purchases at customs, so keep them handy. If you've packed your shoes (or whatever) and checked through your bags, you're out of luck for the VAT return.
Hopes this helps.
Leslie

Old Apr 12th, 1999, 07:54 PM
Traci

what is the prices like - in us dollars?
I will be in Rome in May. Any musts for the shoe-o-holic? -address