Brugge and ...Need another city for 3 nights

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents, husband, and I are travelling to Brugge for Christmas. We'll be there Dec 26 through Jan 2. We'd like to spend 3 additional nights in Belgium - but not Ghent, Antwerp, or Brussels (as we went there last year). Can anyone suggest another Belgian city for a 3 night stopover (must be accessible by train).<BR><BR>Thanks!
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 04:54 PM

I was in Li&egrave;ge a couple of years ago for two nights and really had a good time. It's on a rail line too. A little shy of 200k people and Belgium's 5th largest city there was plenty to see and do. I could have stayed at least a couple more days.<BR><BR>The Museum of Walloon Life was fascinating. It had on display the town's guillotine that had last been used in the late 1800's. Take the time to look at the slides presented in viewing machines of photos of the previous 100 years. The ones of coal mining were interesting. So were the ones about play, “jouer” in French. There is one I won't forget. A blindfolded lady with old-fashioned scissors-style hedge shears and a chicken with it's head sticking out of the bottom of a wicker basket. Think pi&ntilde;ata gone bad. :-0<BR><BR>The flight of stairs was awesome to climb for a view over the city. The 14th century baptismal font in St. Bartholomew's was beautiful. <BR><BR>The Curtis Museum and Glass Museum were closed when I was there. Outside of town is an old coal mine that is now a museum. Didn't make it out there either.<BR><BR>It's also a university town so it has a little more young &amp; vibrant feel. Though the students will probably all be gone over Christmas.
Old Feb 17th, 2003, 05:02 PM

how about going over to amsterdam..its not far by train...or even the lottle town we like especially well just outside called Hoorn
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 09:38 AM

How about Maastricht? It is just over the border in the Netherlands -- a few hours on the train (about 2 or 3, I think?) It is one of my favorite cities in Europe.
Old Feb 20th, 2003, 10:08 AM
Brutforce

I am a big fan of Maastricht as well &amp; it is certainly close enough for the amount of time you have.

Old Feb 20th, 2003, 10:13 AM
aj

I have always wanted to stay in Brugge during Christmas. To me it is such a &quot;romantic city&quot;. I can picture it in my mind with snow and frost on the ground and the lovely houses and cobble streets. Please post when you return!
Old Feb 23rd, 2003, 05:37 PM
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone for your replies! <BR><BR>Went to Brugge last March and loved it. My parents lived in Bilzen for 4 yrs but haven't been back since 1976 - they're looking to me to plan the trip, so I appreciate all the advice.