Brugge

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 05:37 AM
shula

Brugge

just back from Brugge. the Quasimodo Tour
is very good and entertaining (took the Triple treat, the vaffle was great the chocolad shop so-so). the Hobit restaurant was very good and pleasant, also for solo travelers. don't like lace but the neighborhood of the museum is beautiful, and away from the crowds worth spending some time. the Memling Museum was the best. if you are with children until 4.8 there is the sand sculpture festival in Zeebrugge. i found it quite ugly and very crowded, but expect they will enjoy it.
and yes, the boats are touristy, but still give a different prespective. so just look and ignore the talking.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 07:43 AM
judy

Agree with Shula, especially the reference to the Quasimodo Tour. We took the Triple Treat tour and really enjoyed it. Our tour also included a tour of a brewery and a sample of the beer at the end. Our tour guide, Lode, was very knowledgable about the area and the history. He was entertaining and personable. Another good thing about the tour is that lunch, a sample of the chocolate, and the beer were included in the cost of the tour. I highly recommend the tour.

We were in Brugge in March of 2001, so there were no crowds. However, it was cold and windy some days, but we didn't mind. We loved strolling around the town and stopping at cafes for coffee and sitting by a cozy fire. Sure, it would have been nicer to have warm weather, but the absence of crowds was the trade-off.

Old Jul 19th, 2002, 09:22 AM
Doug Weller

Shula, did the Hobbit have beef carbonadde (Beef in beer, normally with bread floating on top).
THanks.

Doug

Old Jul 20th, 2002, 08:55 PM
shula

Doug, the Hobit is a "eat as much as you can" ribs restaurant, with other things on the menu. Very nice atmosphere. i had typical inexpensive Flams food in the Brasserie Erasmus, Wollestraat 35. very reccomended is the more expensive (didn't try it)
't Dreveken Huidenvettersplein 10-11.

Old Jul 21st, 2002, 01:05 AM
Doug Weller

Thanks. I shall take a look at Den Dyver still I think. If Helen wants a beer place that is!

Doug

Old Jul 24th, 2002, 08:01 PM
pete

If you eat at the Hobbit (good ribs, but they use a dry rub, so they're not gooey), go across the street later for beers at t'bruges beertje, it's a beer bar with 300+ Belgian beers. Lots of fun. Some good ones are DeKoninick (sp?), Orval, Duvel, Westmalle Double.