Brown's Hotel, Dublin?

Search

Brown's Hotel, Dublin?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 23rd, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brown's Hotel, Dublin?

We have booked two rooms in Brown's Hotel in Dublin for three nights in August. We have four adults and two teenage girls. It's located on Lower Gardiner, near the Customs House, on the north side of the river. Is this going to be safe, or should we reconsider? I have seen some good rates at the Harcourt Hotel. Any feedback? Thanks!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 12:41 AM

To be honest, I would avoid anywhere around that area. There are plenty of B&Bs, hotels and backpacker places, but it's not a very safe area. It's near Busarus (the central bus station) and O'Connell Street. It's fine during the day but I wouldn't walk around there at night. The Harcourt Hotel would be a much better option.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:14 AM

If you do stay in the Harcourt Hotel ask for a room at the Back because of Road works. They are putting in a rail system and it could get noisy early.

All I can say to Anyone staying on Gardiner street is...don't do it. Fot the same price you will get better places that are safer. There ios a current post listing a few goodplaces. Hey, your safety is worth it. I drive by this area most evenings and I lock the car door.

Been dying to post for the past 2 months...having trouble! I am still here
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:15 AM

P.S. Don't confuse this with Brown's on St Stephens breen which is an upmarket restaurant and has rooms in a georgian building on St Stephens Green.
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:21 AM
pnestor

Would agree with all the posters....Stay south side if at all possible. If you need any names checked out let us know and I'm sure we can put you right.

Old Feb 24th, 2004, 02:10 AM

Siobhan - the road works will be finished by August, which is when mexicobeachbum is coming over! That Luas line will be finished by June (or so they say!)
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 05:32 AM

Cailin,

Thanks I haven't looked at anything on the Luas works recently. I don't believe them on finishing time. The whole road was ripped out for a year in from of my building. I have never seen such slow building works. Almost wrecked the car twice pulling out of the Garage!
Old Feb 24th, 2004, 01:40 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the responses. We've let discretion be the better part of valor and have changed our reservation to the Harcourt. It looks like a reasonable walk to Temple Bar, Trinity College, etc. We appreciate everyone's feedback.