Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Brooks Hotel, Dublin/Olde Railway Hotel, Westport

Old Sep 30th, 2002, 04:36 PM
david

I'd appreciate any comments on these two hostelries from anyone with first or second-hand knowledge. The first appears to be highly recommended. I know nothing about the second, and the web says very little. Than ks for anything.

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 04:51 AM
Siobhan

David,

Brooks is great. I always forget about it when reccommending hotels as it is smack in the city but hidden on a side street. One of the best locations in Dublin and 2 streets from shopping and restaurants.

My friends and I usually go there for a quiet drink in the bar as its quiet and few would think to go there. Excellent choice.

Cheers

Old Oct 1st, 2002, 11:18 AM
david

Hi, Siobhan--and thanks. We're there from Nov 4-8. Look in the bar for the middle-aged Canadians (me with white moustache) with the twang. We'll be pleased to buy a round.

David S

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 07:38 AM
Siobhan

David,

Can I ask you what the rates are for the hotel rooms? Just curious as the location is good.

A few good places to eat nearby:

Wagamama - Across from the Gaiety Theatre. Grat Asian food quite cheap. Food comes out fast and tables are like shared long ppicnic tables but the best asian food in Dublin at the price. No reservations taken

CAfe/Deli/Bar - Thats the name, is on Georges street and great for luynch. Nice pizza, pasta and salads. Its beside the globe pub. No reservations taken

Bang - Merrion street is a bit more expensive but lovely and you need to book (reserve).

Ely - restaurant and wine bar around the corner from Bang on ely street. Very relaxaed and amaxzing wine list and great food. Reservations needed

Italian - Bellissimo on Wicklow Street is run by italians and small but great homemade pasta. Many italians in Dublin eat here.

some places NOT to eat near you - pasta fresca, horrible food and service for the money. Break for the boarder (beside the hotel) - expensive, full of work crowds and food is terrible. Gallaghers Boxty house in Temple bar - tourist trap , expensive and awful.

GReat sandwich place is Munchies down from bellismo on thge corner. most of these places are 5 mins from the hotel. Enjoy

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 12:48 PM
david

Hi again, Siobhan. Brooks'room rates are expensive, but you can get good ones by talking to the hotel directly, either by telephone or e-mail--superior rooms with breakfast are around E200 per night. Standard rooms a bit less (E180). We were going to stay at another place, "No 31" down on Upper Leeson, but were dissuaded by some decidedly unfavorable reports on the net. Thanks much for the restaurant hit list--looks like our mealtimes are taken care of! D'you have any views on Jacob's Ladder, Osteria Antica Ar Vicoletto or other places as well? Thanks again.