Brittany or alsace?

Search this Thread

Old May 3rd, 2014, 05:53 AM
erb
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brittany or alsace?

Hi
I am trying to decide on a trip in france following my 4 day stay in Paris.
Im deciding between Brittany and Alsace as I have not been to either region.
Wondering which one to go to.
I know they are very different ...wine region vs coast...but wondering if anyone has been to both and can advise
Thanks!!!
ERB
Old May 3rd, 2014, 06:34 AM

Don't you think that it would depend on the person's interests? What interests me may be of no interest to you whatsover. So how will knowing which I prefer help YOU?

I suggest you do YOUR research on both and make your own decision. Having 10 people here say they prefer the Alsace and another 10 day they prefer Britanny will tell you nothing.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 07:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
been to both many times. Alsace is paint box pretty with every house a different colour, the fine wine, the odd castle, concentration camp, some WW1 sites and Strasburg (medievel centre). It has a continental climate and the local patois is difficult though most will speak French, then German and finally English. Great for bike touring. One big line of hills down one side but the rest is basically flat.

Brittany, is more rugged, has castle ruins, a medievel centre in Dinan, ports and sea-side resorts, a canal runs through the middle with a bike path along it. Everything is more rugged than Alsace with a lot of the older buildings built in Granite. Local Patois is difficult but they will speak French and then English.

as Dulcius says what interests you?
Old May 3rd, 2014, 09:47 AM
erb
Original Poster

Thanks bilboburgler
Your response was really helpful.
Im interested in many things ... thats what makes the decision difficult.
Must say ...didnt find Dulcius response helpful...
I love to travel and as I said ...many things interest me.
Thanks for painting the picture bilboburgler
Much appreciated
ERB
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:05 AM

Will you have a car or rely on public transportation? I have been to both areas as well and I would take the time to see how long it would take to get around the cities you are interested in. In Alsace I would either get a room in Strasburg or Colmar and also visit some of the villages on the Rue de Vin. In Brittany I would visit St Malo, Dinan, Cancale and Mont St Michel.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:08 AM

Just ignore Delcie. He is trying, and likely to succeed, to get the "Biggest jerk on Fodors" Oscar".
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:13 AM

I prefer Strasbourg since it is less French - more Germanic - and provides more of a contrast to Paris. We stayed in Strasbourg for 5 nights, spending 2 days there, one in Colmar and another touring several of the wine towns on the road in between. Strasbourg has a gorgeous cathedral, several great museums and is just a charming town overall to explore on foot.

However we had a car, not sure of timing/schedules if you use public transit.
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:30 AM
erb
Original Poster

Thanks everyone...will have a car...really appreciate the input.
Peter...shall we just grant Delcie the award so he can stop trying?
ERB
Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:33 AM

He has my vote, and I am campaigning on his behalf.

Old May 3rd, 2014, 10:35 AM

Received 6 Likes on 1 Post
I prefer Strasbourg myself.
Old May 4th, 2014, 07:36 AM

erb, if you asked an intelligent question with relevant information provided, you could expect a relevant answer. However you did not do that.

So far, NO ONE has given a response that means anything in terms of best suiting YOU. All you have is a description by bilboburgler that you could have easily found for yourself with Google. Both bilbogurgler's and gailscout's comments are neutral. Only nytraveler has given a personal preference with no reference whatsover of course to whether it better fits your interests or not.

You have in fact got nothing of use so far. The only additional comment you have made is, 'many things interest me' which is of course useless.

What you want, is for others to write all the things here that you could find for yourself using Google assuming you are capable of doing so and/or not too lazy to bother.

Then the plan is you will cherry pick one without having had to do anything but read what others were dumb enough to write and save you the work of researching for yourself.

I'm not sure which is worse, a dumb question of people responding to such questions.
Old May 4th, 2014, 09:35 AM

Dulcibella, relax and think of the forum as a pub. A regular says, "The missus and I can't decide between Alsace and Brittany. Anyone been to either?" Then people wade in