British Museum

Old Apr 7th, 2012, 09:35 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
British Museum

We are stopping London for two days to visit the British Museum and the Tate Modern. We have not been to the British Museum in 30 years. No website would be better than their website.

It seems the Magna Carta has been moved to another facility, is that correct?

We want to see the Elgin Marbles before they are lost, Rosetta Stone, and the Lindow man. What are some of you other favorites? Are there inside tips that make things easier. (For example if you visit the Met Museum in NYC, there is an entrance to the left of the main stairs that make it easier to enter.)

Thank you in advance.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 09:53 AM

A copy of the Magna Carta is now in the British Library. (Better copies in Salisbury Cathedral and Lincoln Castle, but that's not what you asked!) I'd urge you to add the Library to your agenda if you can. Three times we have begun our day at the Library, spent about 60-90 minutes, and then noonish walked over to the BM for the rest of the day. In the BM I love the Sutton Hoo and other early British/Celtic "stuff" and hope to go back to the Enlightenment gallery next year for a look at some specific items. And of course you get to see the Great Court for your first time.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:14 AM

I agree with texasbookworm. If you were there 30 years ago you experienced the wonderful library, which now has its own home, so if you wish to see any of the written history you'll need to visit that, as well.

I always take friends to the Egyptian room to see the incredible mummies.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:18 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:23 AM

Definitely visit the British Library - a lot of great documents.

In the musuem I love the early British stuff (as well as the Rosetta stone). Sutton Hoo is great - I can live without the Elgin Marbles.

Just one note I can;t reco the cafeteria - which is good in some London Museums. (Last time I was there a mother was coaxing her young son to "eat up the fat" on his paper thin ham sandwich.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:28 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
(Last time I was there a mother was coaxing her young son to "eat up the fat" on his paper thin ham sandwich.>>

and your point is? often the fat is the best bit! [ask the italians].
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:30 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Some highlights of the museum gleaned from my trip report of 2009. We paid several visits:

"Went to the America’s rooms, which I don’t believe we ever saw when we lived in London. Interests change. The collection of Aztec and Mayan artifacts is fairly small but of very high quality. A number of relief carvings from Yaxchilan. A magnificent double-headed serpent done in turquoise mosaic. [then] A long visit with the Elgin marbles."

"British Museum -- attended a gallery talk on the gods of Roman Britain -- well done. Viewed some old favorites such as the Portland Vase, and new finds such as the Lycurgus Cup (Roman) and The Royal Gold Cup -- medieval, with beautiful enamel work depicting the life of St Agnes."

" Egyptian Galleries at the British Museum. Much taken with the beautiful painting of Nebamun hunting birds from a small boat, with sea creatures beneath."

I would also recommend a visit to the Sir John Soanes Museum, which I suspect you would find fascinating. http://www.soane.org/
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:31 AM

I have been listening to the "A History of the World in 100 Objects" podcast by BBC Radio 4. You can get it on their website or, conveniently for Apple fans, on iTunes. It is a fascinating way to link objects in the British Museum with the creators and their culture. I am very much looking forward to seeing: the Flood tablet, the Lewis Chess set, Durer's rhinoceros as well as the suggestions above. I gather it is not PC to call them the Elgin Marbles anymore.

Does anyone know if the Cotton collection Beowulf is at the British Library? And if so, is it on display?
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:38 AM

The Beowulf manuscript was on display at the BL in 2010 when we were there, it was not on display last June 2011 when I had students there. I'm not sure how up-to-date the website keeps info about documents on display--the Treasures Room won't be exactly the same all the time, but there will be always enough there to make a trip worth it!
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 10:46 AM

Everything in the BM is great, so go where your interests lie. Personally, I love the Egyptian room but my favorite thing about the museum is the neighborhood and the grounds.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 01:42 PM
Original Poster

Mrs. Adu has been listening to 100 objects on NPR and is enjoying it tremendously.

If Elgin Marbles is politically incorrect, how about "Friezes stolen two hundred years ago but were tried to make legimate and now in the age of I want my antiquities back there is resistence-marbles."
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 01:48 PM

It seems the Magna Carta has been moved to another facility, is that correct?

Sort of. At one point the British Library was part of the British Library but the BL became it's own organisation in the 1970s. It then moved to it's own site in the 1990s. Since then the central courtyard of the BM has been redeveloped.

If Elgin Marbles is politically incorrect, how about "Friezes stolen two hundred years ago but were tried to make legimate and now in the age of I want my antiquities back there is resistence-marbles."

You mean the friezes which were purchased from the then legitimate government.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 02:03 PM

Try to find the exhibits of Central Asian treasures.
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 02:57 PM

Check out the website to get an overview of their exhibits:

www.britishmuseum.org
Old Apr 7th, 2012, 03:11 PM

The British Museum has great docent led tours of the various galleries at various times during the day. I have enjoyed especially the Roman Britain and the Egyptian collections that way.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 02:52 AM

The BM also has some great after hours activities. When I stayed nearby, one night they had a free Iraqi exhibition night-complete with native food, documentaries about the country, a fashion show by some young Iraqi/British, etc. Very neat and and a great way to see the Great Court after dark.

For visiting, I would suggest doing their self-guided Highlight tour-ask for the brochure. The artifacts listed give you a sample of all of the different eras of artifacts. Be warned that some could be out on loan. My personal favorite artifacts-besides the Rosetta Stone-are the Assyrian giant winged lion statues. I also recommend the Inca/Aztec rooms.

Finally, you will be amazed at the Great Hall in the middle, a wonderfully light and airy place.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 03:03 AM

....You mean the friezes which were purchased from the then legitimate government.....

And were removed from a place where gunpowder was being stored.
It's also a mercy that the BM has artefacts from Afghanistan
and Iraq.
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 03:36 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I think you mean "the friezes which were purchased from the then legitimate government, saved from a place where gunpowder was being stored and stored away from the acid air from the local pollution." Has it about right and give them the name of the proud saviour "Elgin".

I guess it's about square on "storing in a war zone" as both capitals have had their share of fun.

I am more worried about the present level of thefts of greek antiquities in Greece as the government can no longer afford to hire guards, but that is another story...
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 03:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My father took me to the Sir John Soanes Museum (mentioned above) some 35 years ago. It was empty apart from us. Brings back fine memories
Old Apr 8th, 2012, 04:26 AM
Original Poster

We will not have time for the Soanes this visit.

The justifications above for the Elgin Marbles residing in the British Museum, is the same justification that any conquerer uses. They know better and are richer than the ones who actual heritage is represented. It is after all, the basis of imperialism.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -