Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

British Air Holidays: there is a language gap

Old Jun 27th, 2007, 08:27 PM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Last February, I planned a ski trip to Austria with a return through London on British Air. The airline suggested I contact British Air Holidays (BAH) for London hotel options and theatre tickets. Initial, I checked BAH's website and noted they advertised "premium" theatre seats at full price. I then called BAH to have "premium" defined. I was advised by two agents that the seats would be in the first 15 rows and in the center of the orchestra, I was also advised to book the tickets on the internet. I booked seats for two musicals and got an instant confirmation without specific seating information...just with that undefined word, "premium." When we got to the theatres I was handed an envelope with the tickets and was sent to a seating chart to locate the seats. In both cases the seats were in the third from the last row in the only balcony and way off to the side with no leg room. Moral of the story: take a chance and get your London theatre tickets the day of the show at half price. You can get any worse seats and they will be half the price.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:04 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Who is "British Air Holidays"? A google gives 96 results so it suggests it's some other company
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:12 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>>>>
so it suggests it's some other company
>>>>>

perhaps you mean 'british airways holidays' as they commonly use the letters HAH. not trying to be pedantic just trying to make sure the company you are talking about is clear.

BAH is owned by BA. and since you were referred by british airways, i think we can be fairly certain that this is the company we are talking about.

shame about the seats. even with lastminute.com, you get good seats (never been in the balcony) deeply discounted.
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:13 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
>>>>
they commonly use the letters HAH.
>>>>

of course i meant to type "BAH"
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 11:29 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re "premium", it means nothing and is empty as a politician's promise, but I'd complain like crazy especially as you'd been assured on the specific area you'd be seated on two occasions
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 04:22 AM
Original Poster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the comments. It's hard to be clear in the wee hours but I meant British Airways Holidays. After four months of sending letters of concern to addresses I was given by my credit card company, British Airways and british Airways Holidays, I received the following comment, "I am sorry you were told the tickets would be in a central area as we would not be able to guaranty any particular area prior to the tickets being issued. Tickets are provided subject to availability for each performance but will always be in an area deemed to be premium seating." My point is I paid top dollar and got close to the worse seats in the theater. I wasted hundreds of dollars. I see this as false advertising from a major travel company. I am trying to escalate the issue so others don't fall into the same trap. Bottom line: If it seems to good to be true it is!!