company not in good standing

Aug 24th, 2005, 11:49 AM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
company not in good standing

Okay, I finally am ready to go forward with booking the trip to Tanzania and I check with the state comptroller where the office is here in the US and I find that they are not in good standing.
As I write this I guess I realize what we need to do which is to not go through with it. I'm trying to think if there is any other way. To start all over will put us beyond our price range since the airline tickets have ballooned since we saved our seats.
If anyone has worked through a road block like this before, please share.
family5 is offline  
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:55 AM
Join Date: Apr 2004
Posts: 4,222
I'm afraid I don't understand. Couldn't you go to one of the other operators you've been dealing with and book with them instead? And thus hang on to your airline seats?

I tend to bite the bullet and "go for it" once I have my heart set on something, so I'd probably just scramble for another operator even if it meant slightly less desirable accommodations.

Which itinerary did you decide on?
Leely is offline  
Aug 24th, 2005, 11:58 AM
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 153
To which tour operator are you referring? Thanks.
lorib1 is offline  
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:15 PM
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,391
i don't understand how the airline tickets could baloon if you already paid for them. contact a tanzanian company & give them your details, where the u.s. co. had you conditionally booked and see if they can "take over" your bookings. what do you mean, not in good standing? as in what? there are variations of not in good standing and could mean anything to anyone. try the bbb also
matnikstym is offline  
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:30 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
You're right. I do still have the air seats saved. The air company makes me a little nervous, though too. They have two names and their other name is listed favorably with the better business bureau. They are holding our seats for a month without a deposit.
family5 is offline  
Aug 24th, 2005, 12:34 PM
Join Date: Jan 2003
Posts: 12,846
So it's the company that's issuing your airline tickets which is not in good standing, and not the safari operator, is my understanding correct?

What's the cost difference if you book your air through the airline itself? Would you mind posting the name of the airline consolidator that's holding your seats? Perhaps others here have dealt with them and can comment.
Patty is online now  
Aug 24th, 2005, 01:12 PM
Original Poster
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 20
No. It is the safari company and I'd rather not name them at least until I ask them directly what's up.
family5 is offline  
Aug 25th, 2005, 03:28 AM
Posts: n/a
family5 -

You mention Naipenda Safaris in another thread... is this the company? If so, how did you find them? And did you get clarification for "not in good standing" and from whom? A US-based Better Business Bureau (BBB) - with items such as # or complaints? # of complaints satisfied and cleared? Are they US based, or in-country? Even the "big guys" (well-known A&K or Micato or CCA) have complaints submitted about services not received or whatever, but these are almost always settled in one way or another.

If something just doesn't sit well with you - and gut feelings have to be taken seriously, why not as another post above suggested - try to work with one of the well-known and recommended providers found here on Fodor's try to match the itinerary and as close to your budget. You may even luck out and do better.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are On

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -


All times are GMT -8. The time now is 09:24 AM.