Bringing cedar from US

Jun 1st, 2019, 11:15 AM
Original Poster

Bringing cedar from US

Hello friends,
We’re traveling to Bulgaria via London for a big wedding.
We’d like to bring favors and gifts for the other guests. We make laser engraved cedar (small coins and coasters - perhaps some earrings).
There might be a total of 200 pieces, ranging in size from an inch in diameter to 4” square. Does anyone know whether we might run into problems at customs (UK or Bulgaria) with these? Either because they are cedar or because of the quantity?
Nothing is for resale but it’s a huge wedding and we want to contribute something special.

OH I do have one more query. The kids are doing a sand ceremony and they’d like sand from Memphis and “something to give it texture” & their idea was cotton seeds. (Probs a small handful.) Thoughts?

Thanks so much!
Sandy in TN.
Jun 1st, 2019, 12:08 PM

Asl your airline and for ultimate source contact the respective embassies or consulates - no one here will probably know for sure. Chances of getting bags checked at London nil as bags are automatically transferred if same airline.
Jun 1st, 2019, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Thanks! We’re not booked through to Bulgaria. We’ll be in London several days.
Jun 1st, 2019, 12:56 PM

>>Does anyone know whether we might run into problems at customs (UK or Bulgaria) with these? Either because they are cedar or because of the quantity?<<

Doubtful anyone here has done something similar -- but a few Fodorites are UK-based business owners who 'might' have a clue?? I wouldn't imagine the pieces being wood would be a problem. But I'd think the sheer volume you are talking about would be very suspicious. You could say they are wedding gifts but they would look like you are selling something.

Asking the airline would be next to useless IME since they are not Customs agents.

Re the sand - a handful could easily fit in a ziplok baggie in the bottom of a suitcase. Re the seeds -- Look on the websites of both the UK and Bulgarian Customs to see which plant based products are prohibited.
Jun 1st, 2019, 12:58 PM

I'm just guessing, but cotton seeds sounds like a terrible idea. Those kind of agricultural products are often what is banned from import by casual travelers as they can spread plant diseases, not to mention bug infestation.

I have never heard of any of these things, to be honest, and have no idea what a sand ceremony is and don't understand the concept of adding cotton seeds to sand for texture and what then is going to happen with it. I presume people aren't throwing sand at the bride and groom like the people throw rice or confetti or whatever they come up at them leaving the church. I can't imagine transporting sand from Memphis to Bulgaria for a wedding. From googling sand ceremony, you just pour colored sand into a glass vase, you don't need to be adding tgexture to it, and in fact, adding cottonseeds to sand sounds kind of disgusting to me in terms of what you'll end up with. I presume you've seen cottonseeds. And I'd think it could attract pests.
Jun 1st, 2019, 01:06 PM

Your cedar products aren’t banned so it depends on their value whether you need to declare them.

Most travellers can bring other goods into the UK worth up to £390 (e.g. perfume and electrical goods) without paying duty and / or tax in the UK. (p12)

https://www.gov.uk/government/public...ling-to-the-uk

For Bulgaria the value appears to be €430

https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/bg-...ns-details.htm

https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-cont...egissum:l31045
Jun 1st, 2019, 01:08 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a bunch, janisj. Well the items will all pretty much have my kids’ face on them along with their wedding date. : )
While she’ll be very popular at her wedding, I doubt I’d have much luck with sales. ; )
if only!
Jun 1st, 2019, 01:12 PM
Original Poster

Thank you! Fingers crossed. Their value is basically what’s in our hearts, you know?
Jun 1st, 2019, 01:14 PM

Your posts likely crossed, but sofarsogood has posted some useful info -- (and if they all have the happy couple's face --I'd think it would be easier to explain that they are wedding trinkets)
Jun 1st, 2019, 01:45 PM

Make sure there is no bark on the cedar or you could hit a problem.
You can check online what the rules are for the EU with regard to importing wood products and seeds.
The UK is still EU so the same rules apply for both countries.
Jun 1st, 2019, 02:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks hetismij2. We were thinking of lving bark on some (pieces are very thin). But we’ll definitely reconsider that now.