bringing alcohol - kitron - from Greece

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:03 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I apologize for asking a question I realize has been posted here before. I am on Naxos right now, and I would really like to bring home a couple of bottles of kitron. One place I asked already told me they won't ship to the US, and my local liquor store told me that security at the Athens airport wouldn't let me carry it on. Would US Customs let me bring it in if I put it in my checked baggage? Should I bring it to Athens (flying there from Santorini on Aegean, my next stop) and put it in my checked luggage? I don't want to waste my money if I'm going to have to get rid of it at some point, but I would love to share some with my friends at home. It was hard to decipher the US Customs website. Does anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance!
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:10 AM

You can bring alcohol into the US in checked baggage..just make sure to pack it very carefully.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 12:13 PM

Recently return from Athens (Sept 29th) and was able to bring 2 bottles in my CHECKED luggage.
I got a strong impression that it would be taken if brought in as carrying-on. Not because of customs but rather the current no-liquids restrictions for carry-ons.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:48 PM

If it's very high proof, you can't bring it on a plane. They won't allow 151 proof rum on planes from here.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 02:49 PM

Meant to add that it's too flammable.
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 07:13 PM

Just bring one for me! Man, I miss that stuff. I'd pack it very carefully in the checked luggage. The proof isn't high enough to be a problem.

Did you get in at the distillery in Halki?

Naxos is awesome, hope you're having a nice trip. Bet it's been windy, tho ...
Old Oct 3rd, 2006, 11:21 PM

In theory you can bring in a liter (in checked luggage for sure - no liquids in carry-on!), but US customs guys usually wink if you have a second bottle, or you pay a tiny sum - the paperwork is worse than the money. So I would take two liter bottles if I were you - pack them carfefully, though!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 09:09 AM
Original Poster

Thanks very much, everyone! We are off to buy some kitron now. DH and I will each bring a liter of the white stuff - man that's good. We blew through Halki today but didn't stop - got off to a late start today.

Yes, repete, our first day here was very windy. The last couple of days have been pleasantly breezy at night. We have two more days here, but tomorrow we're checking out Paros for the day.

Thanks again for the help!
Old Oct 4th, 2006, 11:45 AM

If you get back that way, check out the olives and fishes shop ...
Old Oct 15th, 2006, 04:25 AM
Original Poster

Just wanted to let you guys know that we got home yesterday and our kitron made it. No one hand-checked our bags at Customs, and no bottles broke. So we now have almost two liters of kitron at home!